Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Quest for Candidates: Round 1 – The 1970’s (part 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will note that Wilbur Wood kicks Koufax's butt in WARP.
    Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

--I know Darrell Evans is a sabermetric favorite and all, but I really can't see how he is a better candidate than Graig Nettles. DWS (and perhaps other defensives metrics, I don't know) likes Evans, but he was not a highly regarded defender in his own time. In fact he shifted to first base at age 29, although he shifted back and forth for a few years. Nettles on the other hand was a GREAT defender. Nettles did much better in All Star and MVP voting -and should have. Evans WAS underrated while active, but he is overrated now. Not even close to a Hall of Famer in my book.

Comment

--Parker and Bonds are at least borderliners. Parker would be a Hall of Famer for sure if he hadn't wasted several years in mid-career due to his drug problems. Bonds would probably be there if he had been allowed to play CF more (which he should have except the Giants made a Jeter/A-rod type decision with he and Mays), or if he'd been able to stick with a club (preferably a wiinning one) to form a constituency. or if he hadn't faded so fast. Give him any 2 of those 3 over and he is in - maybe even one.
        --Reggie Smith had enough in-season durability issues that he never really put up the huge seasons you like to see. Still he had alot of very good seasons. Like Bonds his career suffers from being split up with three (main) teams. It doesn't help that he is probably best remembered as a Dodger - and had shifted from CF to RF by then. Murcer had a few seasons as a Hall of Famer caliber Cfer, but; a) couldn't sustain it long enough and b) couldn't stick in CF - not to mention c) he was a Yankee when they weren't winning. Roy White? I'd rather have Jim Rice:cap:. Or Amos Otis from this ballot.

Comment

If there's a way of swinging it, it'd be nice to include 2 relievers here in Marshall and Lyle. If not, I'm in favor of Lyle over Marshall.

Comment

--I've got Simmons, Grich and Blyleven as the no brainers from list ballot. The other contenders;
            C: Munson
            1B: Garvey (the numbers say no, but when he was active...)
            3B: Nettles, Bando
            SS: Conception
            OF: Oh my, Parker, Bonds, Lynn, Cedeno and Oliver with Smith, Staub and Murcer not that far off.
            SP: Tiant and John...and I'd like to say Lolich - but I can't
            RP: Lyle

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
              --Lynn's claim to greatness is based on his play in the 70s (well 82 was a HoF caliber season too). I'd put him with the late 70s players.
              I concur with this assessment.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Broadcasters?

Is there anyone on this list who's made a mark as a broadcaster? How about a long-time coach?

Usually, I'm looking for a few years as a national voice or more than a decade as a local "media guy". It's a small kicker, but it could be part of a future project of hybrid career/lifetime service candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Freakshow View Post
                  Is there anyone on this list who's made a mark as a broadcaster? How about a long-time coach?

Usually, I'm looking for a few years as a national voice or more than a decade as a local "media guy". It's a small kicker, but it could be part of a future project of hybrid career/lifetime service candidates.
                  Bobby Murcer has been involved with the Yankees as a broadcaster for 23 seasons.

Comment

The Polls Are Now Open!

The poll for the 15 early 1970's candidates (accrued most of their value before 1976, in general) has been added to this thread. It will be open for a month.

Seven players were cut from the list above, based on the opinions in our straw poll. Baylor and Harrah were found to be deficient candidates; Baker and Hargrove were not saved by their mediocre managing careers; Blue was most often tabbed as the worst starting pitcher here; I'm persuaded that Johnson is a manager-first candidate; Marshall loses out to Lyle in the RP competition. I was also persuaded to keep Lynn in the decade where his case for the Hall resides.

Momentarily, I'll post the thread with the poll for the late 1970's.

The Round 2 thread for the 1890s/1900s poll is due up soon.

Comment

Bonds
                      Lyle
                      Munson
                      Smith
                      Tiant

I don't give John "extra credit" for the surgery. He pitched well for a fairly long time. Not being a "career" guy, that doesn't shout "Hall of Fame" to me.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Lyle
                        Bonds
                        Smith
                        John
                        Munson

Comment

Bonds, John, Otis, Smith and El Tiante. Only AO is not a leading choice.

I may have to change my custom user name...
                          3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

more half-decade variance

So the Hall of Merit takes none from column A and five from column B (late '70s).
                            The BBF HOF takes none from column A and four from column B.
                            Bill James assigns 300 win shares to three from column A and eight from column B.

Here they are by fielding position.
                            Code:
                            LF	CF	RF
                            White	Otis	Staub
                            	Smith*	Bonds
                            	Murcer*	

3B	SS	2B	1B
                            Bando	Campy	--	--

P
                            John
                            Tiant
                            Koosman
                            Lolich
                            Wood
                            Lyle

C
                            Munson
                            Smith and Murcer both played a little more in right than in center, much as did Andre Dawson in a longer career.

Comment

Voted Campy, John, Sparky, Tiant, Munson.

Nearest miss was Lolich.

Comment

With four more days until the poll closes, we're hoping to improve on the low turnout to this point. Yes, it's not a brilliant slate of candidates, but we've seen that before in this project, too.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X