Jose Vidro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Vidro

Over 12 years in the big leagues, Jose Vidro has collected 1452 hits in 4805 at-bats for a .302 batting average. He has 330 doubles and 121 home runs.

A three time All-Star and one time Silver Slugger, Vidro has the 18th highest batting average among active ballplayers. He has a great eye at the plate as he averages 9.2 at bats per strikeout.

Now it's time to play the projections game, using Bill James' Favorite Toy. Vidro may end up with these statistics by the time his career is done:

1983 Games
    7204 At-Bats
    1005 Runs
    2176 Hits
    456 Doubles
    15 Triples
    154 Home Runs
    862 RBI
    23 Stolen Bases
    15 Caught Stealing
    712 Walks
    768 Strikeouts
    .302 Average

So...will Vidro be a Hall of Famer?
    Yes
    2.33%
    No
    95.35%
    Maybe
    2.33%

--Cowtipper, are you planning to work your way through everyone who managed to hold down a regular major league job before you're done?

Comment

no no no no no.

A hall of famer should be a real dominant person in the game during his era, not just a real good player. Vidro is a real good player, he is not dominant enough to be a hall of famer. The hall has to be carefull not to cheapen its standards, only the best of the best should get in.
      I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
        --Cowtipper, are you planning to work your way through everyone who managed to hold down a regular major league job before you're done?
        Why would he stop there?
        Was he ever the best right-side infielder on his team?
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

--Vidro was a very good player for a few years. He may have even been the best secondbaseman in the league a time or two. He wasn't able to sustain that very long though. he wasn't especially good with the glove before his knees went bad and he can't play the field at all anymore (well not often or adequetely anyway).

Comment

He's 33 and in poor health, but he is also coming off a solid year and had a decent stretch in his Montreal days. I'd put him in the maybe but unlikely category at this point. If he can manage to string together 3-4 more seasons like last season, his chances will improve greatly. If he lands a job as a DH and manages to play until he is 40 or 41 and keeps his pace, then he'd be a probable at that point.

Comment

Ridiculous!

Why isn't Felix Fermin in the Hall?
              sigpic
              Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
              Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                Over 12 years in the big leagues,
                .302 Average

So...will Vidro be a Hall of Famer?
                Actually it's 11 (with 3 VERY short ones), and I suppose his BA won't drop
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Guys with Vidro's batting stats go into the HOF only if they have the highest level of defensive skills. I'm talking Maz and Frank White here. Even White isn't in, and Maz is a debatable pick.

Vidro was never regarded as a good glove at 2B, and now he's too injury prone to play the position anymore. He's taking the Paul Molitor route to the HOF, but he's nowhere near as good as Molitor. He's lost his power, and he's not likely to hold a DH job as long as Molitor did.

That being said, Vidro's 2000-2003 seasons are the stuff of a HOFer. During those years, he put up the numbers that have been, in more than one case, the core of a HOF middle infielder. Had he doubled that production from 2004-2007, we'd be talking about a dark horse candidacy, at the least.

Vidro was a truly underrated player from 2000-2003. His 2000 season would normally have made him the best 2B in the NL, but that was the season Jeff Kent won the MVP. He was often overlooked and marginalized because he played in Montreal for his best years. But if he ever was truly a "great" player, his "greatness" ended after 2003. He'll need 3K hits to make the HOF, and, frankly, he ain't gonna get there.
                  "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Are we really running out of guys to talk about? There's no way his numbers are anywhere close to hall worthy.
                    Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Ridiculous!

Why isn't Felix Fermin in the Hall?
                      Heck, I say induct Kevin Elster!!
                      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Not much chance.
                        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

What??????

Comment

Are we just yelling out random baseball names now?

I can too!

Ron Oester! Jim Rooker! Steve Balboni!
                            :radio Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

Comment

You're right fellas, we should only talking about Jim Rice and Dick Allen until we're blue in the face. Now Vidro may be a reach, but hell, there are some ridiculous choices in the HOF, so why not discuss some ridiculous choices here? At least it's something to discuss.
                              Originally posted by Domenic
                              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X