Today's 200 game winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's 200 game winners

Of the twelve 200-game winners currently listed as 'active', which ones do you believe will one day make the Hall of Fame? These are all the 200-game winners currently active, along with their record and ERA:

Roger Clemens, 354-184 W-L, 3.12 ERA
    Greg Maddux, 347-214 W-L, 3.11 ERA
    Tom Glavine, 303-199 W-L, 3.51 ERA
    Randy Johnson, 284-150 W-L, 3.22 ERA
    Mike Mussina, 250-144 W-L, 3.70 ERA
    David Wells, 239-157 W-L, 4.13 ERA
    Jamie Moyer, 230-178 W-L, 4.21 ERA
    Curt Schilling, 216-146 W-L, 3.46 ERA
    Kenny Rogers, 210-143 W-L, 4.19 ERA
    Pedro Martinez, 209-93 W-L, 2.80 ERA
    John Smoltz, 207-145 W-L, 3.26 ERA
    Andy Pettitte, 201-113 W-L, 3.83 ERA

It seems like it's going to be a few years before we ever see another 200-game winner. The next closest pitcher is Tim Wakefield at 168, and he's 40, so I don't see him getting 200. Aaron Sele is next on the list and he has 148 wins at the age of 37. Bartolo Colon is 34 and has 146, and with the way he's pitched these past couple years, I don't see him getting 200 wins. Steve Trachsel is 36 and has 141 wins, so he won't get 200. Right now, it seems like the guy most likely to be the next 200 game winner is Tim Hudson, who is 31 with 135 wins.
    Roger Clemens
    12.60%
    Greg Maddux
    14.76%
    Tom Glavine
    14.10%
    Randy Johnson
    14.43%
    Mike Mussina
    5.64%
    David Wells
    0.17%
    Jamie Moyer
    0.17%
    Curt Schilling
    10.95%
    Kenny Rogers
    0.17%
    Pedro Martinez
    13.76%
    John Smoltz
    12.77%
    Andy Pettitte
    0.50%
    None of the above
    0.00%
    All of the above
    0.00%

That was an easy poll.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Clemens
      Maddux
      Glavine
      Johnson
      Martinez
      Smoltz
      “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

Wells, Moyer, Rogers - definitely not

Pettitte - unlikely, though possible

Mussina - arguable either way

Everyone else - shoo-in
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I voted for Clemens, but the element of doubt there is obvious: PEDs. I don't know how that will play out for him, and it's at least possible it could keep him out. I don't think it should, as he proved himself a great pitcher a long time ago, and, as far as I'm aware, the allegations are his PED use is within the last few years. Otherwise, I think it's fairly easy to draw the line.
          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

There is a cloud of suspicion over Clemens for the whole last decade of his career. Something in the neighborhood of 150 wins are questionable. That's aside from his churlish demeanor, embarrassing Capitol Hill performance and possible criminal indictment. BBWA members are a touchy, grudge holding lot. I don't think he's getting in.

Other than that, Classic is largely right. Moyer, Wells, Rogers and (in my opinion) Pettitte aren't making it. Mussina has a good case and the rest, except for Clemens, are easy calls.
            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

I like how someone didn't vote for Maddux.
              "It's good to be young and a Giant." - Larry Doyle

Comment

Originally posted by Chickazoola View Post
                I like how someone didn't vote for Maddux.
                I thought that was strange too. I would like to see said person's explanation for that.

Comment

Ok, I'm the one who voted for Rogers

And in hindsight, I guess it was probably a bad vote. Of course, if he wins a Cy Young award and a World Series MVP this year, then he just may make it in after all. Of course, I don't think my vote was the worst one cast. Those that didn't vote for Maddux, Smoltz, Johnson, and Pedro are worse votes!

Comment

Originally posted by Go get em Tigers View Post
                    And in hindsight, I guess it was probably a bad vote. Of course, if he wins a Cy Young award and a World Series MVP this year, then he just may make it in after all. Of course, I don't think my vote was the worst one cast. Those that didn't vote for Maddux, Smoltz, Johnson, and Pedro are worse votes!
                    Even if he wins 25 games this year, there's no chance Rogers gets in. He's notorious for falling apart in pressure situations and has never been perceived as among the best pitchers in baseball. Just a very good pitcher.

The only thing that surprises me about this poll is that Tom Glavine has 100% of the votes but Maddux does not. Both are HOF pitchers, but is there really someone out there who honestly thinks Glavine is a better pitcher than Maddux

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                      Even if he wins 25 games this year, there's no chance Rogers gets in. He's notorious for falling apart in pressure situations and has never been perceived as among the best pitchers in baseball. Just a very good pitcher.
                      Not to mention the fact that his ERA is sky-high.

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                      The only thing that surprises me about this poll is that Tom Glavine has 100% of the votes but Maddux does not. Both are HOF pitchers, but is there really someone out there who honestly thinks Glavine is a better pitcher than Maddux
                      Tom Glavine thinks so.
                      5,008 innings pitched, 13th all-time, most active
                      355 wins, 8th all-time, most active
                      3.16 lifetime ERA
                      3,371 strikeouts, 10th all-time
                      109 complete games, most active
                      18 Gold Gloves, most all-time
                      First to win four consecutive Cy Young Awards

He could throw a baseball through a lifesaver if you asked him!-Joe Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDog31 View Post
                        Not to mention the fact that his ERA is sky-high.

Tom Glavine thinks so.
                        I doubt that. He is a very sensible man.
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I went with:

Clemens
                          Maddux
                          Glavine
                          Johnson
                          Schilling
                          Martinez
                          Smoltz
                          sigpic
                          Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
                          Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

I didn't vote for Wells, Moyer, Rogers and Pettitte. No problem with Mussina for me. I reserve the right to change my mind about Clemens.
                            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

The only reason I did not vote Clemens was because of the BBWAA's attitude toward such things. Look at Mark McGwire. The guy isn't even getting 25% of the vote. I know, I know...McGwire was sort of a one dimensional player and the BBWAA is milking that for all it's worth, but IF he put up those numbers clean, you can darn tootin' well bet that he's a first ballot HoF'er. I guess my point is this: you cannot predict how the BBWAA will handle the steroid situation with Clemens and Bonds.
                              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                              -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X