Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jadarm1 View Post
    Ok Captain,

I actually thought that most people that posted on the "Braves" section of this site were actually Braves fans...I never figured that "all" of them would be...but I actually had no idea that "most" were not.

Anywhu, in regards to your question...I will try. :bowdown:

First, lets actually look at the numbers.

Roy Oswalt:

8th season in MLB - 112 wins / 57 losses
    Around 8 so's per game
    4 career shutouts
    ERA 3.14
    Career wp% - .663
    Career HR's allowed - 117
    HR's allowed per inning - 0.08
    162 Game Avg - 17 Wins / 8 Losses / 222.7 IP / 18 HR's / 184 SO's / 0 Shutouts

Johan Santana:

9th season in MLB - 94 wins / 46 losses
    Over a strikeout per inning for his career!! (wow!)
    4 career shutouts
    ERA 3.22
    Career wp% - .671
    Career HR's allowed - 148
    HR's allowed per inning - 0.11
    162 Game Avg - 14 wins / 7 losses / 209 IP / 23 HR's / 220 SO's / 0 Shutout.

Tim Hudson:

10th season in MLB - 137 wins / 70 losses
    Around 7 SO's per game
    10 career shutouts
    ERA 3.49 (and he pitched the 1st 6 years in the AL w/ the DH)
    Career wp% - .662 (Thats a push right now)
    Career HR's allowed - 149 (in one more season than Santana)
    HR's allowed per inning - 0.07
    162 Game Avg - 16 wins / 8 losses / 227 IP / 17 HR's / 155 SO's / 1 Shutout.

*All stats courtesy of ...well, ...here.

Second, lets look at what I said. Huddy has slightly better numbers than Oswalt and Santana on some things, as does Oswalt to Santana and Huddy, as does Santana to Huddy and...well, you get the picture.

Mostly, its a push. All are fantastic pitchers. I did not say that Huddy was better than them...all I distinctly remember saying was that saying that they were better than he is was merely "jumping to conclusions."

Its presumptuous.

And yes, I am a Braves fan and have a tendency to be partial and more subjective than objective when it comes to evaluating my Braves players. Especially when the the player in question honestly deserves it.

The Big Unit will most likely pass 300 wins, ...Mussina has an outside shot. I dont think that either of the 3 pitchers that we have spoken about will get close...having said that, I believe that if all 3 remain healthy, they will be elligible for Cooperstown.

BTW, I read your post about your friend. I am new here and I didnt know him. But my best goes out to him, his family, and his friends.

This is actually the Hall of Fame forum, not the Braves forum. But, anyway, yours is a fair assessment about the three. Hudson is a fine pitcher, I personally would rank Oswalt and Santana higher at this point. But he deserves a look and should not be quickly dismissed in the argument.

I, as I am sure everyone who shared this board with yellowdog does as well, appreciate your words. Iwish you welcome and hope you enjoy this site to the fullest.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Thank you...its been really nice so far.

The people here are fantastic and intelligent. I love it.

Comment

Tim Hudson, like Roy Halladay, also reached 10,000 batters faced this season. He might have his share of Hall of Fame support when all is said and done as well. Wouldn't it be cool if he reached 200 wins before 100 losses? That would be impressive.

EDIT:

Also, isn't there another Hudson thread?

Comment

A brief look...

At age 35 (and counting) -- 2436.2 IP, 127 ERA+, 48.6 bbrefWAR (48 fangraphs)

I'd say he's in quite good shape, although it's hard to say what kind of looks he'll get. If he finishes this season and the rest of his career (decline-phase) strongly, I'd say he's got a better-than-decent shot.
          Last edited by Senor Octobre; 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM.
          "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Tim Hudson is 35. Boy do I feel old.

Anyways, at this point he is on pace for what I would consider a HoF career but the writers would consider a HoVG career.
            http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

I think he probably needs another 2 strong seasons to get there. If he can pitch relatively well until he gets to age 40, he should make it.

Comment

I'm biased as hell, but...

I think he has a better shot than a lot of people seem to. The winning percentage is going to be a major argument for him when all is said and done.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  I think he probably needs another 2 strong seasons to get there. If he can pitch relatively well until he gets to age 40, he should make it.
                  I'd agree with this.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

He'll certainly be a better candidate than Andy Pettitte, who gets tossed around in the "second tier" discussions of the past quarter-century.
                    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Tim Hudson

I just want to know what people think Tim Hudson's chances are for the HOF. I always knew he was a good pitcher. But after taking a glance over at his baseball reference stats, he's a little better than I had previously thought. He strikes me as one of those players who'd quietly put together consistently good numbers year after year (though never great), but who'd otherwise get looked over because there would always be a few guys who'd outperform him. All of which makes me think that his chances of making the HOF won't look all too good. But still, a 127 ERA+ spread across 13 seasons and a league leading 20-win season aren't too shabby. I don't know if Hudson's still active today as he still has yet to pitch this year. But assuming he is, I feel that if he does reach the 200-win plateau it could help him out a pretty good deal. And that's a mark that's certainly well within his reach.
                      "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
                      -Satchel Paige

Comment

He's scheduled to return in early May. He's recovering from back surgery.

He has the very good ERA+ and career winning percentage. He clearly needs to get north of 200 wins and keep those intact. Even then, he's probably a long shot but he doesn't even begin to get the credit and acclaim that his career should have earned him.

Comment

Here's a thread we have on him:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...584-Tim-Hudson

Comment

I feel a blend a-comin'...

Comment

Threads on Hudson merged
                              Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                              Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                              A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I have him in my top 100, and could conceivably squeak in my HOF zone if he managed to pit together another 2-3 years like the one he had in 2010, but I think time is running out.
                                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X