Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any Vietnam War Vets in the HOF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Vietnam War Vets in the HOF?

When I visited Cooperstown, I noticed the war memorial plaque included people who fought in the Civil War, WWI, WWII and the Korean War. Are there any baseball players enshrined in Cooperstown who served in the Vietnam War or in any other wars?

Roy Gleason is the only former major leaguer to fight in Vietnam, winning a Purple Heart. He didn't have a particularly long ML career, though, before that.
    "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Thanks.

Are there any Spanish-American War Veterans in Cooperstown?

Any who may have fought in wars in other countries (Crimean War, etc...)?

Comment

During the Vietnam era I recall players having to pull weekend duty with the National Guard. I don't know that anyone has ever compiled a list of these.
        Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

Originally posted by Freakshow View Post
          During the Vietnam era I recall players having to pull weekend duty with the National Guard. I don't know that anyone has ever compiled a list of these.
          Non-HOF'er Jay Johnstone is one such player.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
            Thanks.

Are there any Spanish-American War Veterans in Cooperstown?

Any who may have fought in wars in other countries (Crimean War, etc...)?
            I think Ty Cobb fought in the Spanish-American war but I'm not 100% certain on it.
            Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

I know Brooks Robinson did this.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
                I think Ty Cobb fought in the Spanish-American war but I'm not 100% certain on it.
                No, Cobb was too young for that.

Comment

Bill Lee
                  & (I think)
                  Bobby Murcer

Comment

Arlie Pond was an assistant surgeon in the Spanish American War.
                    "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Just to be specific, the Spanish-American War took place between April 25 and August 12, 1898 in Cuba, Philippines, Purto Rico and Guam.

Pond joined the miliary July 10, 1898 and was assigned to Fort Myer near D.C. In October he was transferred to the Third Virginia Volunteers in Richmond. In January 1899 Pond was ordered to New York to catch a ship headed for Manila in the Philippines as part of the 10th Pennsylvania Regiment.

Though the war was over, many American military personnel were sick from the various diseases on the islands stemming, in part, from the unsanitary conditions. Guerilla fighting was also taking place after it became clear that America had designs on remaining and colonizing the archipelago. For the most part, Pond was stationed at the army hospital in Manila but he did have active field service.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
                        Cobb and a slew of others were involved stateside during WWI. It's how Christy Mathewson would breathe in the poison gas that would be held responsible for his developing and dying of TB.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
                          No, Cobb was too young for that.
                          Yes, Cobb was nine years old during the Spanish-American War.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                            Cobb and a slew of others were involved stateside during WWI. It's how Christy Mathewson would breathe in the poison gas that would be held responsible for his developing and dying of TB.
                            What are the details of Mathewson's incident? Was it during some sort of training gone wrong?
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              That was in France.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X