Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Dave Kingman had 500 HRs. HOFER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herr28
    replied
    And getting to 600 may not do anything for Sammy Sosa either. At least it shouldn't (as far as Hall of Fame induction) in my opinion. He was far from being on a Hall of Fame path before the ridiculous Nintendo numbers started happening. However, it appears that (based off the early reports in another thread) Slammin' Sammy is getting more votes than Mark McGwire. Maybe his 600 will help?

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by LVW View Post
    What if he had gotten to 600 HR?
    He would have had to be a dramatically different player to do that. He couldn't stay in the game with his attitude, defense, and on base percentage, despite the dingers. Similarly, if Doc Cramer had been a .400 OBP guy, he'd have had dramatically more value and would be in the Hall, too.

Leave a comment:

• LVW
    replied
    What if he had gotten to 600 HR?

Leave a comment:

• White Knight
    replied
    I don't think he would have gone in with 500. Dunn will probably hit 500, and I doubt he's going in. And Dunn is better than Kingman.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    Putting Dave Kingman in the HOF would be like putting Vince Coleman in the HOF. They both were very good at one thing. You just could not count on them to win you a game by doing something other than their expertise.
    Good point. If you like home run hitters on your team, Kingman was your guy. If you liked base stealers on your team, Coleman was the thief for you (or "me" as it turned out at the time). However, if you liked outstanding, well rounded players that would actually help your team win games, you'd have to go find somebody else. These two didn't really fit that bill, from what I remember.

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    Putting Dave Kingman in the HOF would be like putting Vince Coleman in the HOF. They both were very good at one thing. You just could not count on them to win you a game by doing something other than their expertise.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    There are a lot of arguments against Kingman for the hall and I agree that he is not worthy. However, it can not be disputed that Kingman is in the HR distance HOF (if one existed). He hit it a mile.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    The Cubs in the late 70s had one of the worst defensive outfields in recent memory, with Kingman in left, and the equally inept Mike Vail in center. As one Chicago newspaper reporter put it: "What Kingman didn't get, Vail didn't get either".

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar View Post
    I was at that game in Oakland where McGwire and Reggie were interviewed. I think it was the Saturday Game of the Week on NBC. (Back when there was one national game a week!)

They were interviewed on the 3rd base line before the game started I think. I was about in the sixth row. Can't quite recall the interviewer...it might have been Costas. I was around 14 or 15 years old, so it was a while ago,

McGwire got a pie in the face at the end of the interview; I think Carney Lansford delivered it.
    That is awesome! I had forgotten about it until just recently while thumbing through LaRussa's book looking for quotes on McGwire. When I saw the Reggie Jackson reference involving that 1987 team, it sparked my hazy memory of that long ago interview. That one game of the week was always my favorite. I was a Cardinal fan living in WGN broadcast area, so the only games I ever saw were Cubs games...

Leave a comment:

• Cougar
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    He was pretty tame at 41, and he was a great mentor for Mark McGwire that year. I remember seeing an interview with the two of them, possibly around the All Star break that year. Reggie was laughing and having a good time in his final season, and he said that he thought Mark had the potential to hit more HRs than he did and/or to go into the Hall of Fame. I am a little fuzzy on which one he said and which one the interviewer mentioned during the chat. What can I say, it was a long time ago and at 11 years old, I didn't know who that rookie was that was being interviewed with the great Reggie Jackson!

Apparently, LaRussa like Jackson in 1987, because he mentioned his positive influence on the younger hitters on the team in his last book. Sounds like the straw wasn't doing as much stirring in '87 perhaps?

I was at that game in Oakland where McGwire and Reggie were interviewed. I think it was the Saturday Game of the Week on NBC. (Back when there was one national game a week!)

They were interviewed on the 3rd base line before the game started I think. I was about in the sixth row. Can't quite recall the interviewer...it might have been Costas. I was around 14 or 15 years old, so it was a while ago,

McGwire got a pie in the face at the end of the interview; I think Carney Lansford delivered it.

Leave a comment:

• LanceRoten
    replied
    Assuming he would have hit 500, he would have been the first member of the 500 club to never be elected IMO. No shot.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
    Hey, Jax is one of my all time favorites. But still, "You know, we need a calming influence in our clubhouse ... hmmmm, I wonder ...."
    I know, right! Hilarious, but I guess that saying about truth being crazier than fiction really works in some cases.

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    Hey, Jax is one of my all time favorites. But still, "You know, we need a calming influence in our clubhouse ... hmmmm, I wonder ...."

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
    The A's didn't want headaches & drama so they hired Reggie Jackson?
    He was pretty tame at 41, and he was a great mentor for Mark McGwire that year. I remember seeing an interview with the two of them, possibly around the All Star break that year. Reggie was laughing and having a good time in his final season, and he said that he thought Mark had the potential to hit more HRs than he did and/or to go into the Hall of Fame. I am a little fuzzy on which one he said and which one the interviewer mentioned during the chat. What can I say, it was a long time ago and at 11 years old, I didn't know who that rookie was that was being interviewed with the great Reggie Jackson!

Apparently, LaRussa like Jackson in 1987, because he mentioned his positive influence on the younger hitters on the team in his last book. Sounds like the straw wasn't doing as much stirring in '87 perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    The A's didn't want headaches & drama so they hired Reggie Jackson?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X