Trevor Hoffman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dudecar00
    Hoffman will suprass Lee in 2 years probably. IF he has a bad year, then 3 seasons.
    Hoffman needed 27 saves to pass Lee and already has 12, he could pass Smith this year
    And I do think he should get in the hall

Comment

Yep he's in
      Go #51

Comment

With the importance of closers today, and the fact that Hoffman has been so dominant for so long and that he's going to be the first guy to 500 saves, I think he should be a first-ballot HOFer. Whether that happens, remains to be seen.

Here's something to consider: Hoffman has been with the Padres since 1993 when he was traded from the Marlins, and has been the primary closer since just a couple of years after that. In that same time frame, my beloved Braves have used the aforementioned John Smoltz, and also this cast of characters:

Mike Stanton
        Mike Remlinger
        Mark Wohlers
        Greg McMichael
        Brian Edmondson
        John Rocker
        Alejandro Pena
        Kevin McGlinchey
        Justin Speier
        Marvin Freeman
        Ken Ray
        Joey Devine
        Macay McBride
        Mike Cather
        Kent Mercker
        Stan Belinda
        Brad Clontz
        Kyle Farnsworth
        Alan Embree

Comment

Originally posted by the pyromaniac
          With the importance of closers today, and the fact that Hoffman has been so dominant for so long and that he's going to be the first guy to 500 saves, I think he should be a first-ballot HOFer. Whether that happens, remains to be seen.

Here's something to consider: Hoffman has been with the Padres since 1993 when he was traded from the Marlins, and has been the primary closer since just a couple of years after that. In that same time frame, my beloved Braves have used the aforementioned John Smoltz, and also this cast of characters:

Mike Stanton
          Mike Remlinger
          Mark Wohlers
          Greg McMichael
          Brian Edmondson
          John Rocker
          Alejandro Pena
          Kevin McGlinchey
          Justin Speier
          Marvin Freeman
          Ken Ray
          Joey Devine
          Macay McBride
          Mike Cather
          Kent Mercker
          Stan Belinda
          Brad Clontz
          Kyle Farnsworth
          Alan Embree
          I agree, it's been a cast of thousands.
          "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

gossich also has the second most blown saves in my opinion Hoffman is better and deserves a shot at the hall of fame

Comment

Originally posted by loopy lefty
              gossich also has the second most blown saves in my opinion Hoffman is better and deserves a shot at the hall of fame
              That's what happens when you are regularly called upon to get 2 and 3 inning saves. More innings means more chance for blow a save. Hoffman has never been an innings eater, barely averaging more than an inning per apperance in his career. If he was called upon night after night to get 2 and 3 innings, I highly doubt he would be as successful as he has been or as successful as Gossage.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                That's what happens when you are regularly called upon to get 2 and 3 inning saves. More innings means more chance for blow a save. Hoffman has never been an innings eater, barely averaging more than an inning per apperance in his career. If he was called upon night after night to get 2 and 3 innings, I highly doubt he would be as successful as he has been or as successful as Gossage.
                That, plus Gossage was a guy who could have been a starter. Not a great starter, but most relievers couldn't start at all.
                "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

Comment

Hoffman helped himself this year. He's a "probable" HOFer at this point.

Comment

After viewing my 2-year old post, I will agree that Hoffman (after two more very good seasons) is now Hall worthy. I still feel he wasn't two years ago. I also still feel Gossage deserves election ahead of Hoffman, but now believe Hoffman deserves election well over Smith.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by STLCards2
                      After viewing my 2-year old post, I will agree that Hoffman (after two more very good seasons) is now Hall worthy. I still feel he wasn't two years ago. I also still feel Gossage deserves election ahead of Hoffman, but now believe Hoffman deserves election well over Smith.
                      i'd agree with that sentiment. gossage needs to be in, and i expect him to be in next year as he was pretty damned close this year.

Comment

Gossage should definitely be in, and both Rivera and Hoffman when they retire.

Comment

What are you talking about?

Hoffman HAS passed Smith. Since he needs only 18, and with the Pads making the playoffs 2 years in a row, he'll be the first to get to 500. All hail Trevor Hoffman.

Comment

Look At The Dates Of The Posts!!!
                            THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by STLCards2
                              I did not think that Hoffman's arm would continue to hold up as it has, but he has shown post-injury durability.

Comment

It ought to be pointed out that Hoffman had one of his finest seasons in 2006. He came in a close 2nd in the Cy Young balloting, a very impressive showing for a closer. (Frankly, I think he probably should have won.)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X