Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou Whitaker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lou Whitaker

    I was surprised to see that there wasn't a Lou Whitaker thread. If there is one already, please forgive me.

    Many people think Whitaker should be in the Hall of Fame. A second baseman, he played his whole 19-year career with the Detroit Tigers. In that time, he collected 2369 hits, 244 home runs and he hit .276 overall. He had a good eye at the plate, walking 1197 times and striking out only 1099 times.

    A five time All-Star, Whitaker won the 1978 Rookie of the Year Award, plus three Gold Gloves and four Silver Sluggers.

    Ranked the 11th best second baseman of all time by The Baseball Page, Whitaker received 15 votes in his only year on the Hall of Fame ballot. He is statistically similar to three Hall of Famers: Ryne Sandberg, Joe Morgan and Carlton Fisk.

    So, should Lou Whitaker be in the Hall of Fame?
    70
    Yes
    55.71%
    39
    No
    21.43%
    15
    Maybe
    22.86%
    16

  • #2
    The baseball page also ranks Eddie Collins as a better second baseman than Roger Hornsby, so I don't take this as a source that is truly reliable.

    Comment


    • #3
      Lou is right on the fringe for me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell are both HOFers to me and it's amazing that they played alongside each other for as long as they did.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes. Lou and Trammell.
          3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
            I was surprised to see that there wasn't a Lou Whitaker thread.
            I was surprised to see that you did a thread on a player that was actually . . .
            . . . I'll stop before jalbright cuts me off
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wardawg View Post
              The baseball page also ranks Eddie Collins as a better second baseman than Roger Hornsby, so I don't take this as a source that is truly reliable.
              That's certainly no indication of the site's "reliability" and Hornsby over Collins isn't necessarily a no-brainer.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

              Comment


              • #8
                The things keeping him out (in my opinion):

                1. More games (2,390) than hits (2,369). It would be acceptable if he had over 400 HR, although 244 HR for a second baseman is pretty darn good.
                2. Only 2 100-run seasons.
                3. Only 2 seasons batting over .300.

                Having more BB (1,197) and runs (1,386) than strikeouts (1,099) is a positive.

                I voted "no", but a "maybe" probably would've been a better choice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wouldn't throw a fit if he got in, but it would have to be a pretty weak ballot for me to vote for him. I think Trammell is 11th on my list of eligibles for 2009, Lou might be 13th or 14th.
                  The Writer's Journey

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wardawg View Post
                    The baseball page also ranks Eddie Collins as a better second baseman than Roger Hornsby, so I don't take this as a source that is truly reliable.
                    Its funny...if you look at their first basemen rankings, they have a little paragraph saying how Steve garvey is overrated, yet in their rankings right next to it, he is ranked ahead of guys like Mcgwire, Clark, Mcgriff, Delgado, Pujols, and terry :-o

                    Oh and they also have Gil Hodges ahead of jeff Bagwell. And dont have Tom Glavine in their top 59 starters. wow. I think 'unreliable' is an understatement.
                    Last edited by willshad; 05-27-2008, 12:57 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      But your example demonstrating unreliability is a poor one. Clay Davenport (career WARP1 now at baseballprospectus.com) and Bill James (career Win Shares 2002 in print) both rate Eddie Collins above Rogers Hornsby. Collins like Hornsby is one of the players sometimes placed in the top ten overall.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lou Whitaker was the best second baseman in the AL for an extended period of time. His offensive stats are not out of line for a HOF second baseman, and he won three (3) Gold Gloves.

                        Trammell and Whitaker should both be in, IMO. I guess I'm not unique in thinking this. :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:
                        "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

                        NL President Ford Frick, 1947

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well I wish they both were in, Allen Trammell was one of my favorite Tigers. But I think Trammell falls just short, after around 1990 (excluding 93) he wasn't that good. And with Witaker he's close but honestly i don't know enough to say, I voted maybe.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think both guys have a case. They are not top tier guys, but they would sit comfortably at the top of the bottom third.
                            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              standings

                              Lou Whitaker is struggling at the polls. With 14 yes and 6 no, he has 70% of those who have decided. That is only one vote short of 70% but as jim albright would say he needs four more voters to cast yes votes in order to make it up and reach 75% (18:6).

                              There are 13 undecided. If they all vote yes or no, he needs at least 11 yes, no more than 2 no (25:8 overall). If they vote with 50% chance of going either way, probability he will get 11 of 13 votes is only about 1% but if the undecided are split in the same proportion as the decided --70% chance of yes, 30% chance of no-- than probability he will get at least 11 of their 13 votes is about 33%.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X