No announcement yet.

The case for Tommy John as a HOFer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice little sidebar there in the article with Ron Kittle. As a kid I always was fascinated by his career. Top 25 all time in homeruns per at bat if I remember correctly. I would love for John to get in the hall of fame though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
      I love the way that you write that as if it's some sort of pejorative ("He's just like all those other 300 game winners! They're a dime a dozen!")
      They kind of were a dime a dozen. There were 12 pitchers from the same generation who had 250+ wins, and six of them had over 300. Another dozen had 200+. Should all 24 of these guys be in the HOF? Half of them already are, and that is probably about 3-4 too many.
      Last edited by willshad; 11-07-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• John >>>>Compliler, compiler, compiler>>>>>NO HOF
        This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

They kind of were a dime a dozen. There were 12 pitchers from the same generation who had 250+ wins, and six of them had over 300. Another dozen had 200+. Should all 24 of these guys be in the HOF? Half of them already are, and that is probably about 3-4 too many.
          Interesting Willshad...do you have 3 or 4 you'd yank? Blyleven, maybe Drysdale if I'm reading your thoughts correctly? My personal opinion is that era had a larger than normal amount of excellent pitchers, which helped to influence the circa 1965-1980 era. I don't think hitting/pitching/positional HOF talent is equally distributed across the generations, and this era had a lot of great pitchers.
          Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• I have John JUUUUUUST in. Has 92 Parc-D, which is on the higher-end of VERY borderline guys who I can see leaving in or out. (86-95)
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Interesting Willshad...do you have 3 or 4 you'd yank? Blyleven, maybe Drysdale if I'm reading your thoughts correctly? My personal opinion is that era had a larger than normal amount of excellent pitchers, which helped to influence the circa 1965-1980 era. I don't think hitting/pitching/positional HOF talent is equally distributed across the generations, and this era had a lot of great pitchers.
              I don't believe in ' yanking' anyone, but I would probably not have Hunter, Sutton, or Blyleben in my personal HOF, and maybe not Jenkins either. I wasn't counting Drysdale as part of that generation, but he doesn't belong either IMO.

Comment

I don't believe in ' yanking' anyone, but I would probably not have Hunter, Sutton, or Blyleben in my personal HOF, and maybe not Jenkins either. I wasn't counting Drysdale as part of that generation, but he doesn't belong either IMO.
                Jenkins of all people? Strange.
                “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Should all 24 of these guys be in the HOF?
                  This is about the fifth time you've tried to rope me into that position. You can knock it off any time, now.

3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

• When the Yankees released Tommy John during Memorial Day weekend 1989, part of that was the result of John playing for an under .500 team, that almost finished in last-place. Were John to be on a winning team, he might have gotten a lot closer to300 Wins and perhaps even reached the 300W milestone, in which case he would have been elected to the HOF decades ago. I strongly feel that Tommy John should be elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post
                      When the Yankees released Tommy John during Memorial Day weekend 1989, part of that was the result of John playing for an under .500 team, that almost finished in last-place. Were John to be on a winning team, he might have gotten a lot closer to 300 Wins and perhaps even reached the 300W milestone, in which case he would have been elected to the HOF decades ago. I strongly feel that Tommy John should be elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame.
                      I remember clearly when he was released, it was Senior Prom weekend for me. Mike Schmidt retired that weekend too, I think on Memorial Day itself.

TJ was openly making a push for 300 wins; he finished at 288, twelve short. He probably lost about half that many wins due to the labor strikes in 1972 & 1981.

Sadly, John really was finished at that point in 1989, he was pretty ineffective. He could still induce ground balls more often than not, but his stamina was lousy, and he struggled to field bunts & squibs, or to cover first base on a grounder to the right side.

But it was a bummer he fell short of his goal.

Comment

• Good Menory!!!..Mike Schmidt announced he was retiring on the same day that the Yankees released Tommy John.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cougar View Post

Sadly, John really was finished at that point in 1989, he was pretty ineffective. He could still induce ground balls more often than not, but his stamina was lousy, and he struggled to field bunts & squibs, or to cover first base on a grounder to the right side.

But it was a bummer he fell short of his goal.
                          Tommy John's 1989 was very reminiscent of Robin Roberts last year in the major leagues (1966). He finished his 19-year MLB career at 286 Wins. Roberts had blown out his arm by the end of 1956. His fastball was gone and he had to rely on curves and change-ups and like a knuckle-balling pitcher his fastball was just a show-me fastball. (A fastball for show to keep the hitters off-balance). He went 107-125 over the last 10 years of his career. Roberts went to Phillies affiliate Reading (AA) Eastern League in 1967. After going 5-3 with a high earned run average Roberts retired during Memorial Day Weekend. His attempted comeback was over.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post
                            Tommy John's 1989 was very reminiscent of Robin Roberts last year in the major leagues (1966). He finished his 19-year MLB career at 286 Wins. Roberts had blown out his arm by the end of 1956. His fastball was gone and he had to rely on curves and change-ups and like a knuckle-balling pitcher his fastball was just a show-me fastball. (A fastball for show to keep the hitters off-balance). He went 107-125 over the last 10 years of his career. Roberts went to Phillies affiliate Reading (AA) Eastern League in 1967. After going 5-3 with a high earned run average Roberts retired during Memorial Day Weekend. His attempted comeback was over.
                            The difference being that Roberts was just 39 and John was 46. Surgery or not, Tommy was on borrowed time by his final season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X