Annual Tom Glavine Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 538280
    Glavine, IMO, should be a first ballot, no questions asked HOFer. However, the writers are prone to not liking a guy who wasn't real exciting to watch. Glavine doesn't have great stuff.

But, he still probably will be elected. The HOF Monitor tries to predict a player's chance for the HOF, and Glavine is at 157. No 20th century player with a HOF Monitor even approaching that has been consistently rejected by the HOF. The highest 20th century pitcher not in is Lee Smith (I personally think Smith is just as clear cut HOFer as Glavine, but the writers seem to disagree).
    The writers liked him enough to vote him two Cy Young awards. Since injuries didn't sideline him ala Saberhagen, he shouldn't have any issues.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
      To me Glavine is a lock. How the actual HoF voters feel is another matter.

The reason I ask this is because a lot of people seem to think 300 W is the magic number to make a pitcher a lock. While I agree at one time is was vital that a pitcher get 300 W' s I think in todays game with 5 man rotations and specialty (long relief, middle relief, set-up men and closers) 300 is a rare commodity. That is not to say that 300 is not possible (Maddux, Clemens), but is a rare feat and I believe that it would be difficult to deny a guy with Glavine's accomplishments the Hall of fame just because he did not get 300, no matter how "boring" he is. Bottom line is 25 wins really enough to change someones opinion? I still believe he will get 300, but if he shocked the baseball world and retired tomorrow I think he still gets in with 275.
      I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

I rank Glavine the 10th best lefty, and #29 or 30 overall amongst pitchers.
        I don't know how many pitchers are in the HOF, but I'll say their's probably 40 already in who are lower down than Glavine.

If Glavine doesn't make it on the first ballot with 85%+ of the vote, it will only further my notions that the HOF is a joke in its processes. However, we are dealing with the people who actually vote, not us.

IMO, disregarding the K and BB differences and perceived prime differences/war, I don't see how Glavine is much different than Feller. (similar seasons, IP, and ERA)

Regarding Lee Smith,
        Glavine is EASILY one of the five best starters over the past 25-30 years. Name me the big ones of the '80s?
        Smith MIGHT be one of the five best relievers from the '70's-'90s.
        There is no way on earth that Smith is remotely near HOF worthiness as Glavine, unless you think either that we should elect as many closers as starters, or that the all-time saves record should put him in.
        Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
        I hope that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chisox
          I don't know how many pitchers are in the HOF...
          With the election of this year's inductees, there are now 70 pitchers in the Hall of Fame.

If Glavine doesn't make it on the first ballot with 85%+ of the vote, it will only further my notions that the HOF is a joke in its processes.
          You mean...you actually need more proof?!?

Glavine is EASILY one of the five best starters over the past 25-30 years. Name me the big ones of the '80s?
          Stieb, Morris, Blyleven, Valenzuela, Viola, Hershiser, Gooden, Clemens, and Saberhagen.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Glavine would be a Hall of Famer if he retired tomorrow, but i can see him hanging around until he gets his 300th victory.

His success relies on control and craftiness, but i cannot see him pitching more the 2 seasons into the future.

no matter what, he is one of the best pitchers to emerge and succeed in the last 20 years.
            -Vagner

Comment

I think at this point, with all the steroid talk surrounding the HOF, that short-changing Tom Glavine would be hypocritical on the writers' part.

That doesn't mean they won't do it. Nonetheless if they're going to be conservative with McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc. they should give Glavine a break. Unless Glavine was juicing :noidea .

Just another thought to add to what I agree is a concrete HOF resume. I agree Glavine has the type of personality that would egg him on to 300 wins, even if he's no longer a premier pitcher.
              http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Chancellor
                With the election of this year's inductees, there are now 70 pitchers in the Hall of Fame.
                Well, 70-30=40-5 active=45. I was right.

You mean...you actually need more proof?!?
                Nope. I just like adding fuel to the fire.

Stieb, Morris, Blyleven, Valenzuela, Viola, Hershiser, Gooden, Clemens, and Saberhagen.
                My point exactly. And of those, who could be said to have DOMINATED throughout the decade? None. Either guys who happened to start or end who dominated a few years (Clemens), or those who were just good, but not spectacular throughout (Viola.)

Certainly stacks up to Clemens and Maddux who he's competed with THROUGHOUT, and Randy and Pedro for most. Of course, that's without bringing in, Mussina, Schilling, Brown, Smoltz, Pettite, Wells, ect.
                Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                I hope that's all.

Comment

No need to rant. Glavine will make it to the Hall.
                  1992 & 1993 World Series Champions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X