Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    These can be combined.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread...highlight=WOod

Leave a comment:

• willshad
    replied
    Hes not that different than Dizzy Dean. Certainly more dominant than Dean, but Dizzy at least pitched 5 fulls seasons. Wood only had 1 season with more than 30 starts, and 2 with more than 20. If he had pitched at the same level for full seasons his whole career Id say he might make it. As it is, no way.

Leave a comment:

• Domenic
    replied
    Smokey Joe Wood

Over the course of his fourteen-year career, Joe Wood compiled the following numbers as a pitcher:

117-57, 121 CG, 28 SHO, 11 SV, 2.03 ERA (2.96 lgERA), 1.09 WHIP, 146 ERA+

And as a hitter:

.283/.357/.411, 266 R, 23 HR, 325 RBI, 111 OPS+

I did a board search for Joe Wood, and did not find anything over the last two years, so I felt that a thread would be fair game. Where does everyone stand on Smokey Joe who, according to Satchel Paige and Walter Johnson, threw harder than any other pitcher that they had ever seen?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    ----------------- Smokey Joe Wood 1908-12
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• torez77
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    Maybe, only if you're counting peak. His career was no Blyleven.
    I keep thinking Blyleven's already in the HOF. Probably because he should be.

Wood might very well be the most talented pitcher not in the HOF.

Why isn't this in the Hall of Fame forum?
    Probably should be. The mods can move it if they wish.
    Last edited by torez77; 03-12-2006, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• torez77
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    Joe Wood was a great pitcher, but for only a moment in time. Not long enough to post authentic Hall credentials. He is joined by Herb Score and Ewell Blackwell in his unrealized potential. And around 100 others. Dizzy Dean just barely scrapes in himself.

Great potential and greatness are not the same thing.

Bill Burgess
    Wood was not just a one-year wonder. He was a very effective pitcher for 7 seasons. I concur he's not HOF-worthy due to the briefness of his career. I just started this thread to see what others think and because I like the guy.

Definitely gotta agree with you about Score. His K totals in his first 2 seasons were simply awesome. It's a shame that he got nailed in the eye with a Gil McDougald line drive on May 7, 1957.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by torez77
    He is probably the most famous, and for that matter best, pitcher NOT in the HOF.
    Maybe, only if you're counting peak. His career was no Blyleven. Why isn't this in the Hall of Fame forum?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Joe Wood was a great pitcher, but for only a moment in time. Not long enough to post authentic Hall credentials. He is joined by Herb Score and Ewell Blackwell in his unrealized potential. And around 100 others. Dizzy Dean just barely scrapes in himself.

Great potential and greatness are not the same thing.

Bill Burgess

Leave a comment:

• torez77
    replied
    He is probably the most famous, and for that matter best, pitcher NOT in the HOF.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    Smokey Joe was a great pitcher. His 1912 season was astonishing. he had a career era of 2.03 and Walter Johnson once said "Can I throw harder than Joe Wood? Listen, my friend, there's no man alive can throw harder than Smokey Joe Wood" Then Smokey got hurt in the spring of 1913 and that hurt the rest of his career. But inspite of the pain he still was one of the best pitchers in 1914 and 1915 going 25 and 8 with an 1.96 era in those two years. Then he made a pretty good transition to OF but never was the same player. Smokey Joe was a great pitcher, one of the all time Red Sox greats. If I had a vote I would vote for him. I think he deserves to get in the HOF but the chances of that ever happening is very slim. But he will still live in baseball history, and is a baseball legend.

Leave a comment:

• torez77
    replied
    Originally posted by 538280
    Bill James actually includes him in his list of top 100 pitchers. #94 I believe.
    Yeah, I've seen Wood get his props from sources other than BBF. I'm saying he's been underrated here at BBF. I'm the only one who's brought up his name, and it's not just to mention 1912.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by torez77
    Since I ranted about Wood in the "underrated pitchers" thread, I thought I'd bring back this one from long ago.

Bill - Do you have any references to Smokey Joe hidden in your Historical Articles? I'm reading those articles one day at a time. There's a LOT there.
    Kinda doubt it. But you never know. Those articles are so wonderful because they are chock full of random, unsolicited stuff.

I put Joe Wood in with Herb Score. If not for a single season, he wouldn't register on the radar. At least not OUR radar for greatness. That is not to say he wasn't murder on the batter's of his day.

But baseball history is littered with pitchers who sparkled for a while. Ewell Blackwell, JR Richards, Rex Barney, Bob Turley, Dick Radatz, Jim Maloney, Bob Veale, Bobby Shantz, Sam McDowell, etc. Koufax could have been one of them if he hadn't found his control.

Those guys never closed in on being great short career guys, like Dean, Joss, Waddell, Vance, Walsh.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    Originally posted by 538280
    Smokey Joe isn't within a mile of the HOF. He's maybe an okay candidate for the top 100 pitchers of all time (though he wouldn't make my list).

That just about sums it up.

Leave a comment:

• torez77
    replied
    What favors Wood over Gooden in my mind is that Gooden was never close to the same pitcher he was in his first 2 seasons, and it wasn't because of a career-hindering injury. Wood pitched great despite his injury in the 3 years prior to his retirement.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X