Craig Biggio and 3,000 Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Biggio and 3,000 Hits

I looked at his numbers and he has a little over 2,600+ hits. I know he is 38 going on 39, but it looks like he will finish his career with between 2,800 to 3,000 or so hits.

Biggio is going to need at least 3 more seasons to get to 3000 hits. I don't know how many more he plans on playing, but he's a good enough ballplayer to continue to start probably two more years at least. He's been one of the best hitters on the Astros this season, and if he wants to, he could stick around long enough to collect 3000 hits. Of course, there are a number of other things going for him to make a bid for the hall of fame - his career totals in runs, doubles and steals for example. I personally hope he makes it to 3000, but even if he's short of that mark, I'd say he's a hall of famer based on his offensive stats and his mastery of several positions in the field. I had heard that he planned on playing only through 2005, but I'm not sure how true that is, if it is true at all.

Comment

Both he and Alomar are going to have to work hard to reach 3,000 hits. Personally, I don't see Biggio having a place on the Astros next season. If they re-sign Beltran then the outfield would be Berkman, Beltran and Jason Lane. Unless Biggio wants to warm the bench for $500,000.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

--I don't follow the Astros (or really even the NL) and have no idea what their plans might be. I'd guess a player with his history with the team would be able to come back at a reasonable salary if he wanted to. Pay cut yes, minimum wage seems a little harsh. I wouldn't want him as my everyday CF and he is no better than average a hitter for a LF at this point of his career. He really isn't ideally suited for leadoff anymore either.
        --Still, he can play CF/LF/2B or maybe 3B. He could be a semi-regular for the Astros or possbily a regular elsewhere. He still hits enough that if he can play an adequete 2B he would be an upgrade for several teams. If he wants it bad enough, 3,000 hits could be done. Hopefully he doesn't want it McGriff 500 HR bad, because a steep drop off is at least as likely (and probably more so) as being a usefull player long enough to get there. I'd be happier voting for him without 3,000 than with a tarnished hang on 3,000.
        --If he retired at the end of this season, I think he would deserve to be elected in the class of 2009. Doesn't mean he would be, of course, just that he would have my support -as unhelpfull as that would be to him.

Comment

I say in a perfect world, Biggio would go back and finish off his career behind the plate for the Astros.

Comment

Biggio will have to work at it, but it's still possible if he wants it bad enough. It may not be with the Astros unfortunately... but then I don't know if Beltran is going to stick there.

Alomar has more opportunity; again, it comes down to how bad he wants it. He's over 2 years younger than Biggio and has over 100 hits more. It's more possible for him to get his in 2 years--but that may not happen unless he finds a way to pick it up (aka, show that he should be a full-time player). But then, he could get to 3000 by hanging onto the bench for four years if he wanted.
            http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
              If he retired at the end of this season, I think he would deserve to be elected in the class of 2009. Doesn't mean he would be, of course, just that he would have my support - as unhelpfull as that would be to him.
              Ah the curse of not being a BBWAA member. h
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Biggio belongs in the Hall of Fame, but he may have a tough time reaching 3,000 hits, just because of age. He may be priced out of the Astros rebuilding, too, and who knows if he wants to go play for another team.

Alomar should have an easier time than he's having reaching 3000, but he seems to have just lost it. He showed some flashes in Arizona, but has been a disaster on the White Sox. After 3 bad seasons it's hard not to think he's just done.

Comment

I know that some of the Houston fans seem to like Beltran, but I don't think there is a 100% chance of him coming back to the Astros next season. If he doesn't, then I think Biggio will definitely be on the Astros next season.

Biggio is definitely a candidate for hall of fame, but I do think that the closer to 3,000 hits he is, the easier it would be to vote for him. The guy was one of the more dominating players in the 90's and a constant all-star. He along with Bagwell are literally the face of the Astros (i.e. Mike Scott and Nolan Ryan for the 80's decade). Bags and Bigs are literally the definition of what it is to be an Astro.

If he is forced to go somewhere, I have doubts in my mind that Biggio would. I think he might be one of those players whom would just rather stay with the same team his whole career, rather than move on to another team for a season or two more.

Either way, he would have my vote for hall of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Chancellor
                    Both he and Alomar are going to have to work hard to reach 3,000 hits. Personally, I don't see Biggio having a place on the Astros next season. If they re-sign Beltran then the outfield would be Berkman, Beltran and Jason Lane. Unless Biggio wants to warm the bench for $500,000.
                    He may well move back to 2b if Kent leaves. He was no longer a GG at the position two years ago, but he was fully capable of manning the spot competently, and I think it's unlikely that he can't still.

His current offensive production, below average for an OF, is more suitable from a middle infielder.
                    Last edited by Cougar; 09-30-2004, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar
                      He may well move back to 2b if Kent leaves. He was no longer a GG at the position two years ago, but he was fully capable of manning the spot competently, and I think it's unlikely that he can't still.

His current offensive production, below average for an OF, is more suitable from a middle infielder.
                      He'll probably go back to second. Kent's been talking about retirement, and that will make room for Jason Lane in left.

Comment

Well, here's another interesting subject...

Biggio has been a great player, and when you think about the four positions he's had to tackle, it just adds to the argument.

His offense was shaky the last couple of years, but this year was incredible. Career-high 24 homers, .281 BA (which isn't really indicative of how well he hit - he tailed off at the end).

Biggio will be back. Here are the scenarios I see:

1. He goes back to CF, Lane is your everyday left fielder, and Burke becomes the starting second baseman if Beltran isn't re-signed.
                        2. Beltran is re-signed (hopefully), and Biggio will go to second.

I don't think Kent will return. No chance.

Regardless, it all hinges on the Beltran ordeal...

I agree that he needs three more seasons to attain 3,000 hits. I also think he can do it.
                        -David
                        Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and FAQ Section before posting.
                        "Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for." -Roy Hobbs, The Natural

Ever wonder about the fastest pitch ever thrown? Click this link.

Comment

This is off topic, but what is the deal with Kent anyway? How has he worn out his welcome in Houston so quickly? He's been fine on the field, producing exactly what you'd expect from him. I know the guy is a world class flake, but he managed to coexist with Bonds in SF for 7 years or so; what's so different about Houston.

Comment

Oh, no, I agree that it's a great question, and fitting for this thread!

Halfway through the season, when Kent wasn't producing worth a crap and was acting the way he usually does, I was hoping the Astros would dump him at or before the trade deadline.

He just doesn't seem to be one of those players with any sense of team loyalty. I can only imagine how the "conversations" were between he and Bonds. :grouchy

For some reason, though, his bat and his attitude has vastly improved. As with many of his teammates, we wouldn't be where we are without him.

However, to answer your question in a nutshell...I have no idea.
                            -David
                            Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and FAQ Section before posting.
                            "Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for." -Roy Hobbs, The Natural

Ever wonder about the fastest pitch ever thrown? Click this link.

Comment

I'll tell you, I don't get to watch as much baseball as I'd like, but I watched all of Game 7 in the NLCS.

No one said a word during the game, but there were about 4 balls hit that looked like routine 4-3 grounders that got through to the OF.

Not sure how he did during the regular season, but yesterday Jeff Kent had no range -- none. Two steps to either side of him, and he was waving at it.

I don't think you can directly tie it to the Astros' loss, but Clemens and Oswalt had to work harder as a consequence. Kent gets to two of the four, and Rocket doesn't have to face Pujols and Rolen in the 6th.

Kent's got the 2b HR record, so there's less personal reason for him to resist a switch. If last night was any indication, he's got to move to 1b soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X