"Active" Hall of Famers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Active" Hall of Famers

Guys who should get elected, based on what they've already done or can reasonably be expected to finish:

Pitchers
    Clemens, Glavine, Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Rivera

Catchers
    Piazza, Rodriguez

First Basemen
    Bagwell, Thomas

Second Basemen
    Biggio, Kent

Shortstops
    Jeter

Third Basemen
    Rodriguez

Left Fielders
    Bonds, Ramirez

Center Fielders
    Griffey

Right Fielders
    Sheffield

While I think there are probably going to be another half-dozen players nearing the end of their career right now who will belong by the time they've hung it up, these are the "obvious" choices.

I'm curious to see (a) what reasons someone may have for not believing one of these guys is a qualified Hall-of-Famer; and (b) if I've missed someone who's got as solid a case as these candidates.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 03-30-2006, 03:33 PM.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

where the heck is bonds and randy johnson ?

I also think hoffman's a lock too.

Comment

Randy Johnson?

Comment

bonds can't be considered a clinch at all right now. i would definately say johnson. Frankly, I think Jim Edmonds is nearly a clincher. Unless he were to retire tomorrow, i can expect him to get a few more gold gloves, a couple of 30 hr seasons, and get into the hall. Ichiro is another person who I think will be elected. If he were to play his whole career in the major's, he'd be a sure fire 3000 hitter, and I think voters recognize it. If he retired today, I think he would manage to get in for breaking the line for japanese position players. Those are my only additions.
        :atthepc

i enjoy smileys...

Comment

Egg on my face....if Bonds and Johnson aren't shoo-ins (steroid discussion aside) then I'm a baboon. (Don't ask my wife to verify that.) Can't believe I missed them.

Didn't put Hoffman in the group because I don't think he's quite got the same level of "universal" support that Rivera does. Exactly the kind of player I was hoping to see brought up in this thread!
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by justice22
            bonds can't be considered a clinch at all right now.

Bonds is a lock. The HOF would lose a gigantic amount of credibility if they kept him out. Anyway, it's ridiculous to have sheffield listed and not bonds, when they are both equally involved in the " BAlco scandal ".

Comment

One player I think is sorely missing from the list, is Chipper Jones.

Is there a chance he'll fall to the curse of the 3B? No, I don't believe so. In an Era of statistics such as this, I believe there will be enough awareness of Chipper Jones great level of play for nearly a decade. Add the fact that he was usually considered the best hot corner player by the casual fan for almost a decade, his MVP award, and being one of the corner stones of the Braves dynasty, I think he's already a cinch.

I don't think Hoffmans a lock, but I'd say right now, he's about as close as you can be without truly being a lock. One more season, MAYBE two good ones and he'll be a lock.
              Last edited by The Dude; 03-30-2006, 03:53 PM.
              AL East Champions: 1981 1982
              AL Pennant: 1982
              NL Central Champions: 2011
              NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Dudecar00
                One player I think is sorely missing from the list, is Chipper Jones.

Is there a chance he'll fall to the curse of the 3B? No, I don't believe so. In an Era of statistics such as this, I believe there will be enough awareness of Chipper Jones great level of play for nearly a decade. Add the fact that he was usually considered the best hot corner player by the casual fan for almost a decade, his MVP award, and being one of the corner stones of the Braves dynasty, I think he's already a cinch.
                Delgado, thome, giambi, schilling, mussina, juan gonzalez. These are just a few guy's off the top of my head who have been " elite " in this era. The majority of them probably won't make it, but who knows.

Comment

My list is much slimmer

SP-Maddux, Clemens, Schilling (don't tell me his 'heroics' don't count), Martinez

C-Piazza
                  1b-Bagwell, Ortiz (maybe, if he continues on his pace, plus his sudden hits and HRs at the same time in 'heroic' fashion)
                  2b-Biggio
                  3b-Chipper Jones
                  SS-Jeter, Rodriguez
                  LF-Bonds
                  CF-Andruw Jones
                  RF-none

Comment

Schilling a lock but not Johnson?
                    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                    AL Pennant: 1982
                    NL Central Champions: 2011
                    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Pitchers
                      Roger Clemens
                      Pedro Martinez
                      Greg Maddux
                      Randy Johnson
                      Mariano Rivera
                      Trevor Hoffman
                      Billy Wagner has the quality, let's how much longer he goes and how well he pitches in that time.

Catcher
                      Mike Piazza
                      Ivan Rodriguez

First Base
                      Frank Thomas
                      Jeff Bagwell
                      Todd Helton
                      Hard not to put Pujols on this list. Obviously not as of now, but come on...

Second Base
                      Roberto Alomar
                      Craig Biggio
                      Jeff Kent with 2-3 more quality years, wasn't a quality player until age 30.

Shortstop
                      Derek Jeter should be deserving by the time his career is over
                      Alex Rodriguez

Third Base
                      Chipper Jones, unless his defense is as bad as the numbers show, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt as of now due to his amazing bat - .313 EqA.

Left Field
                      Barry Bonds
                      Manny Ramirez
                      Rickey Henderson (?)

Centerfield
                      Ken Griffey, Jr.
                      Andruw Jones (Already more valuable than Jeter, 3 years younger, and a lot more quietly)
                      Jim Edmonds (3 more years of Edmonds ball)

Right Field
                      Gary Sheffield is closer than most fans want to admit

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                        Right Field
                        Gary Sheffield is closer than most fans want to admit
                        Gary Sheffield should be a lock right now. I've made my case with him before. He's one of the best players of the past 15 or so years. Stop and look at his 1996 season for a second, and tell me that's not an all time great hitting year. It is. He had a 139 relative OBP, which I'd think has to be the best mark anyone has put up in a long time, except for Bonds.

And 1996 isn't really out of context with the rest of his career. He was almost as good in 1992, 2000, 2001, and 2003. Then take a look at his 1997 season, which was considered a big let down season for him. He had a .638 offensive winning percentage that year, which means given average pitching and fielding a team with 9 1997 Gary Sheffields hitting would win about 104 games.

That's still a hell of a year, would be a career year for most players, yet for him it was a down year, even sticks out as such when you look at his stats.

You're a hell of a player when you have an OPS+ of 134 in your off year. Other than Dick Allen, what non HOF player can say that?

Maybe I'm slightly biased, because I always have like Sheffield, but based on any objective analysis he comes out as a surefire HOF caliber player, and easily one of the top 100 of all time (I have him #46 currently).

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                          Gary Sheffield should be a lock right now. I've made my case with him before. He's one of the best players of the past 15 or so years. Stop and look at his 1996 season for a second, and tell me that's not an all time great hitting year. It is. He had a 139 relative OBP, which I'd think has to be the best mark anyone has put up in a long time, except for Bonds.
                          Frank Thomas had seasons of 142 and 139.

I honestly don't see Kent as a lock. His numbers from 2B are certainly impressive, but he's always flown under the radar, and his personality won't help.

I'd like to see Tom Glavine miss, but I don't think that's happening.
                          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by 538280

And 1996 isn't really out of context with the rest of his career. He was almost as good in 1992, 2000, 2001, and 2003. Then take a look at his 1997 season, which was considered a big let down season for him. He had a .638 offensive winning percentage that year, which means given average pitching and fielding a team with 9 1997 Gary Sheffields hitting would win about 104 games.

That's still a hell of a year, would be a career year for most players, yet for him it was a down year, even sticks out as such when you look at his stats.

You're a hell of a player when you have an OPS+ of 134 in your off year. Other than Dick Allen, what non HOF player can say that?

Maybe I'm slightly biased, because I always have like Sheffield, but based on any objective analysis he comes out as a surefire HOF caliber player, and easily one of the top 100 of all time (I have him #46 currently).
                            I agree with all of this. Infact a goodcase could be made that sheffield's the best Rightfielder of his generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco De Muerte
                              I agree with all of this. Infact a goodcase could be made that sheffield's the best Rightfielder of his generation.
                              Yeah, and with maybe one or two more decent years from him he could have a case as being the #4 RFer of all time, only behind Ruth, Aaron, and Robinson. I'm not saying that I'd agree with it, but I could see how in a couple years someone could say he's better than Reggie and Ott, currently for me holding spots #4 and #5.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X