No announcement yet.

Randy Johnson: Seattle or Arizona cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Johnson: Seattle or Arizona cap?

It was being discussed amongst several people elsewhere that he'd achieved much of his greatness towards the end of his career as an Arizona Diamondback. However, some people said that he had very good years as a Seattle Mariner.

Which team do you most relate Randy "Unit" Johnson to, that he'd likely wear their cap into Cooperstown?

Thanks.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

i am confident that i can supply a correct answer for this, two-three... as there is no wrong way to go on this one.

the arizonans get a hof member. yea
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Johnson became an elite pitcher with Seattle. His performance in Arizona cemented that status, and he probably achieved his most notable feat in Arizona in winning games 6 and 7 of the World Series.
      Neither would be ridiculous.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It's really an arguement that can really go one way in my opinion.

Sure, in Seattle he had.
        -8 Full seasons, and two half seasons.
        -his first great seasons.

But the thing remains, is lets go back to 1998 before he was traded. How sure could we have been that Johnson would become who he did? It wasn't until he won Four cy youngs in a row in arizona from 1999-2002 and Two triple crowns there, a WS MVP, and of course the crucial Game 6 and 7. Arizona was where Randy Johnson became the second greatest LH pitcher of all time.
        AL East Champions: 1981 1982
        AL Pennant: 1982
        NL Central Champions: 2011
        NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Thanks, guys (and future gals and guys who may later reply).

I wanted to ask the question but didn't have any large list of accomplishments he'd done for both teams. Perhaps I'll just look further and see what he's done to make him notable in both places.

Either that or I could just get lazy and ask if he should go in as a Yankee.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I'm not sure which team he has more years, games, and innins pitched, but he won more Cy Young Awards with AZ, had his biggest strikeout seasons with AZ, one his perfect game with AZ, and of course the World Series with AZ, so unless the Mariners bring him back to play out the last of his career, I'm pretty sure he'll go in as a Diamondback.

Comment

Which hat should he wear?

I say an Astros cap. That's the team he performed best for, ya know?

In 11 games he went 10-1 with 4 shutouts and an ERA+ of 318 .

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001

That's an interesting perspective. Nice set of stats also.

Comment

May I suggest a compromise? Let him go in as an Expo.

Seriously, no one would complain if he went in as Mariner or as Diamondback. A coin toss would settle the matter.
                  1992 & 1993 World Series Champions

Comment

I imagine the HoF would have no problem with either of those teams going on his HoF cap. The problem will be if he decides he wants an NY on his cap.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001

Yep, as an M's fan I remember it well that was when he was throwing the crap fit h that the M's weren't willing to offer him a new long term contract for the big bucks he wanted. So despite the fact that he was still under the last year of a long term contract he became a clubhouse distraction and in the first half of the season he was 9-10 with an era of 4.1 plus.
                      Once traded he was 'reborn' his skills returned. So indeed, he is quite the 'Big Unit' in more than just being 6-10.

But hey, the M's were in a tough spot. In retrospect he would have been a bargain at what he was asking for but -at the time- the M's were reluctant to sign a then 6-10 player, age 35 at the time, with a history of lower back issues to a huge ground breaking contract and instead offered him something that would have kept him at the elite level.
                      M's management still had hopes of keeping Jr. and a new fellow by the name of A-Rod was all the rage.
                      And getting Freddy Garcia in return wasn't too bad.
                      So all in all, everyone came out okay.
                      Johnny
                      Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

I just don't see it with him in regards to the HOF

He is a 6'10 K pitcher

He had a few great years but other then that is 5 years, with only one 'heroic' feat a HOF career?

And don't quote adjusted ERA+, 11 of the last 20 great ERA+ happened in this era, so something is wrong with that stat...it's glaring

To me, if Nolan Ryan was 6'10 he'd have the same stats or better

His 5 Cy Youngs will probably make him a lock and I am not arguing vehemently about it...I just don't see him as an elite P compared to Maddux, Clemens or Pedro

Comment

Randy Johnson will be enshrined wearing Arizona Diamondbacks hat for certain.

Comment

i'd say he should wear arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Imapotato

To me, if Nolan Ryan was 6'10 he'd have the same stats or better
                              Height has nothing to do with how good a pitcher is.

Though I would love for him to wear a Mariner cap, he will go in as a Diamondback

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X