No announcement yet.

Randy Johnson: Seattle or Arizona cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That man of the hour himself opines. Or then again, maybe not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/01/sp...l/01yanks.html (scroll down)
    TOO EARLY TO TALK HALL Randy Johnson, who won four Cy Young awards in six seasons for the Diamondbacks, returned to Chase Field for the first time as a Yankee.

Johnson pitched longer for Seattle than he did for Arizona, but he had his greatest success in Phoenix and would seem likely to wear a Diamondbacks cap on his Hall of Fame plaque. Just do not float the idea to him.

"People ask me about that, and I tell them to go on to the next subject," Johnson said. "It would be premature to even think about it."
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Naliamegod
      Height has nothing to do with how good a pitcher is.

Though I would love for him to wear a Mariner cap, he will go in as a Diamondback

It most certainly does

Mound height gave rise to a pitcher's era, because Pitcher's were higher up and throwing down on the hitter

So a guy like Johnson and Chris Young of the Padres who are good P's get better because they are taller...they have an advantage

Comment

Originally posted by Imapotato
        He is a 6'10 K pitcher
        He was a 6'10 K pitcher. Over the year's he developed great control and has become more than that.

He had a few great years but other then that is 5 years, with only one 'heroic' feat a HOF career?
        I'm guessing you consider his 5 great years those Cy Young years. Well, don't forget 1997. I'd consider that a great year, as I would 2004. 1993, 1994 1998, and 2005 are all very good years. So from 1993-2005, he was very good to great except for 1996 and 2003 when he was injured. Please name me a pitcher with a 12 year conistent peak like that which is not a lock in the hall of fame.

One heroic feat? World Series MVP, Two Not Hitters (one of them a perfect game), and won the last two games in a world series.

And don't quote adjusted ERA+, 11 of the last 20 great ERA+ happened in this era, so something is wrong with that stat...it's glaring
        Okay. I won't quote ERA+ I guess. Lets look at 1995-2002. He placed first or second in regular ERA every year except for 1996 (injured) and 1998 (traded halfway through the season), although his 1.28 was pretty darn good in the 2nd half of 1998.
        In fact, he's 4th among active pitchers in ERA. Ahead of Clemens and right behind Maddux.
        AL East Champions: 1981 1982
        AL Pennant: 1982
        NL Central Champions: 2011
        NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

It most certainly does

Mound height gave rise to a pitcher's era, because Pitcher's were higher up and throwing down on the hitter

So a guy like Johnson and Chris Young of the Padres who are good P's get better because they are taller...they have an advantage
          This is true... what's the point? And Mordecai Brown had an advantage because he was able to use his mangled hand to get magical break on pitches. And Billy Wagner had an advantage because his freak of nature genes let him throw faster than his frame should have allowed. And Roger Clemens had an advantage because his genetics allowed his frame to carry a massive amount of muscle.

Nobody comes in on an even playing field. Every single pitcher in major league baseball history has gotten there because of lucky genes. Even a guy like Greg Maddux, who you think of as relying purely on skill rather than physical ability, throws faster than most any other human being can. Maddux throws, what, 70's and 80's mph? I'm a relatively big, strong guy, and I can hold my own in a weight room... but when I get in front of a radar gun, I can't crack 50 mph with a throw, no matter how much I put behind it (I usually clock in around 38-39 mph). Every single player in major league history is there because of (in addition to natural affinity, hard work and effort, etc.) luckiness in the gene pool. How can you hold that against someone just because his luckiness is more readily apparent than others'?
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Potato,

How do you keep a guy with 5 Cy Youngs out?

How many pitchers would you like to see in the Hall? Johnson isn't top 20 material?
            THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
              Potato,

How many pitchers would you like to see in the Hall? Johnson isn't top 20 material?
              I think he's bothered by two things.

1. He started late, and therefore has less longevity than other pitchers... though he's making up for that by lasting longer than most.

2. His height gives him an unfair advantage. Though how this is different from other guys whose genetically determined strangth or small motor control gives them an unfair advantage, I just can't see.
              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Does this mean that Mugsy Bogues has a better HOF resume than Tim Duncan?
                THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

yep

Does this mean that Mugsy Bogues has a better HOF resume than Tim Duncan?

Not bad.........Randy may be the best pitcher Iv ever seen.......for 1 game....

I guess since Wilt the stilt was taller than most Basketball players he should be kicked off the Basketball Hof too?

CAv
                  You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the $%#%! plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Comment

Potato,

I knew this would come up

Guys you are reading whta you want to read...I didn't say he is A def NO on HOF, and I know he WILL get in

I am just stating that if he was shorter, he wouldn't be as dominanting and that is something I think of when it comes to him

I just don't think he is a unamious selection...he had control issues for a long time, usually leading in walks and K's

Comparing him to his peers, he comes nowhere close to Maddux, Clemens, Pedro and perhaps Glavine

As for the Wilt Chamberlain comparison...I will say I think Bill Russell was better...because Wilt was just so huge that it wasn't really talent...same with Shaquille O'Neal...they just aren't as great as many think

And yes Mugsy Bogues is my man...I say he is better then alot of good players, (like Marbury) but not Tim Duncan...Tim is one of the most fundementally sound players that ever played

Comment

I am just stating that if he was shorter, he wouldn't be as dominanting and that is something I think of when it comes to him
                      Right; and if Clemens wasn't genetically predisposed to be gigantically strong, he wouldn't be as dominant. And if Pedro didn't have fingers that were unnaturally long (seriously, have you ever seen his hands? They're unnatural) that allowed him supernatural ball control, he wouldn't be as dominant. Why do you hold Randy's genetic luck in being tall against him, but not every other pitcher's genetic luck that allows them to be dominant against them?

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

It most certainly does

There are numerous players who have been tall but were terrible pitchers, and there have been short but great. Saying Randy Johnson was only great because he was 6'10 is just ridecolous. Not to mention horribly hypocritical since you can say the same thing about any big pitcher such as Roger Clemens.

Comment

I didn't say that, and if you read my post, you'll see that

I stated he was a very good pitcher, and would be no matter what his size, but his size makes him have a great advantage, moreso then having 23 fingers, or long fingers or stout body

It has already been done and the proof is in the pudding, the higher the P's size and arm slot is, the harder it is to hit

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X