Hall of Fame Purgatory – Sign Up Now!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame Purgatory – Sign Up Now!

This project will identify and prioritize the eligible players who should be elected to the Hall of Fame. This should be a pretty quick project; I don’t see it lasting more than seven or eight elections.

In Catholic tradition, Purgatory is where souls go after physical death if they’re not quite fit to go to heaven. There, they suffer to purge themselves of the indiscretions that stain their souls, in preparation for entering through the pearly gates. Likewise, certain players are lingering in the Hall of Fame’s Purgatory, polishing their resumes in order to be judged as worthy to enter Cooperstown’s hallowed Hall.

One thing I want to do here is make a distinction between players in Purgatory and those in the Hall of Very Good (HOVG). Players in Purgatory do not belong in any HOVG; they belong in the HOF! You often see “small Hall” advocates describing top candidates like Tim Raines, Bert Blyleven and Ron Santo as HOVG players; they’re on the outside of the HOF and deserve to be there, so they say. Contrary to this sort of contrivance, my idea is that HOVG players are of lesser quality than players generally enshrined in Cooperstown. The three mentioned players are clearly in the Hall of Fame class, perhaps the three most egregious oversights. Our aim will be to identify who all these players are and put them in their own place: The Hall of Purgatory (HOP: hope). (We’ll save for another project our elections to the HOVG.)

The voting format being used in The Collaboration Game v2.0 is ideally suited for this project, combining a ranked order with an up/down vote. I have devised a queue of candidates for the Hall, based on many different rankings and projects, on this website and others. We’ll start with the top 30 candidates. Each voter will be asked to do three things:

1. Rank the top 15 in order.
    2. For each of these 15, mark Yes (Y) or No (N) in answer to this question: Should this player be in the Hall of Fame?
    3. From the second 15, rank your top 6 in order. This identifies players the group thinks most deserve to be on the next ballot.

To be elected to the HOP a majority of voters must say Yes, this player belongs in the HOF. We’ll elect a maximum of ten per election. If at least half the voters say No, the candidate is identified as a potential member of the HOVG. We’ll use a “three strikes, you’re out” rule: a player will be removed from the ballot after his third election being rejected by our electorate (if we get that far).

The project will end after the second time we elect no players to the HOP. We’ll end up with a nice prioritized list for the Hall of Fame to elect. Also, we’ll have identified some of the better players in the HOVG.

As in the Collaboration Game, we’re ranking players based on Hall of Fame criteria, so character counts. Negro league and minor league play counts, but we’re not considering players who played primarily in foreign leagues. We’ll consider players retired in 2004 or earlier, everyone eligible for the 2010 BBWAA election.

If you’re interested in being a voter for this project, register in this thread. Only voters registered here will have their vote counted in the elections. Elections will usually last about a week.
    Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Sure, I'll do it.
    "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

I will try it. Complete rank ordering ordinarily takes me "too long" but I'll try to take it less seriously here.

This is not a problem for the Roman Catholic deity and armies of angels and saints who do this work with human souls. Even if they deliberate for a long time in some sense, that takes no time on our scale. No soul is in purgatory because the process is slow.

Comment

Purgatory? I'm fired up!
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
          Purgatory? I'm fired up!
          Rather than Saying "a player will be removed from the ballot after his third election being rejected by our electorate" should we just say "damned to hell"?
          Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

I know all about purgatory. I live in Dayton, Ohio.

I'm up for this one.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
              I know all about purgatory. I live in Dayton, Ohio.

I'm up for this one.
              I live in SoCal. Oh, the dreary monotony of perfect weather and abundance of entertainment. It eats away at my soul. I can take it no longer. Release me from this torture Lord!
              "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

I'm interested in participating, Freakshow.

Comment

I'm in - this could be very interesting, albeit time consuming.

Comment

I'll give it a go.
                    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I'll try.

G Man

Comment

Count me in.

Comment

I'd like to try.

Comment

I'll give it a shot - I've been rather busy lately, but I'll try to find time.
                            RIP Dave Niehaus
                            RIP Gary Moore

Comment

Sure, why not. Count me in on this one as well.
                              My dream ballpark dimensions
                              LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                              RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                              Location....San Diego

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X