David Wright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by willshad View Post
    I see Wright as kind of a half of a George Brett. If we cut Brett off after 1984 or so, he looks very similar to Wright through age 30....of course Brett has the MVP and good postseason stats. Would Brett have been a HOFer if his career had ended after 1984?
    At worst he'd be awfully close, kind of like Wright. A pretty good comparison, nicely done.

Comment

I see Wright as kind of a half of a George Brett. If we cut Brett off after 1984 or so, he looks very similar to Wright through age 30....of course Brett has the MVP and good postseason stats. Would Brett have been a HOFer if his career had ended after 1984?
      That MVP helps a lot, of course. But even ignoring that, yeah, Brett still should be a HOFer if his career ended after 1984.

Comment

• Brett had iconic status that Wright never did.

Comment

• Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
          Brett had iconic status that Wright never did.
          wasn't that mainly due to his 1980 season?

Comment

Probably not, but he would have had a much better case than Wright has now. Nevermind the MVP that he won, by that time Brett had won 2 batting titles, led the league in hits 3x, doubles 1x, triples 3x, SLG% 2x...Wright never once led the league in a major category.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Probably not, but he would have had a much better case than Wright has now. Nevermind the MVP that he won, by that time Brett had won 2 batting titles, led the league in hits 3x, doubles 1x, triples 3x, SLG% 2x...Wright never once led the league in a major category.
              Yeah true. I do consider Wright the MVP in 2007 even though he technically didn't win the award.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Nevermind the MVP that he won, by that time Brett had won 2 batting titles, led the league in hits 3x, doubles 1x, triples 3x, SLG% 2x...Wright never once led the league in a major category.
                Brett was also a 9x consecutive All Star by that point. He was chosen as the starter in 8 of them. For some reason, Brett was not the starting AL 3B in 1980, Nettles was.
                Brett had also received 1st place votes for MVP in 1976, 1979, and obviously 1980.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                  Brett was also a 9x consecutive All Star by that point. He was chosen as the starter in 8 of them. For some reason, Brett was not the starting AL 3B in 1980, Nettles was.
                  Brett had also received 1st place votes for MVP in 1976, 1979, and obviously 1980.
                  Wasn't he hurt at that point in 1980?

Comment

Wasn't he hurt at that point in 1980?
                    You're probably right. That would match up with his game logs, which has a gap between June 10 and July 10. I wonder if Brett received more All Star votes, even though Nettles started.

Comment

wasn't that mainly due to his 1980 season?
                      No, Brett had iconic status before 1980. Brett was a LEGEND for destroying the Yankees in the postseason in 1976-78 with his bat and his fists. Haha

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• I ran my ranking numbers and Brett 1973-1984 would have been as much a HOFer in my eyes as Brooks Robinson was for his entire career.

Through their first 12 seasons, Brett is 5th for 3B in WAR behind Mathews, Schmidt, Boggs, and Santo; and 4th in WAA behind Mathews, Schmidt, and Boggs.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                          I ran my ranking numbers and Brett 1973-1984 would have been as much a HOFer in my eyes as Brooks Robinson was for his entire career.

Through their first 12 seasons, Brett is 5th for 3B in WAR behind Mathews, Schmidt, Boggs, and Santo; and 4th in WAA behind Mathews, Schmidt, and Boggs.
                          And from 1985-90 Brett still hit like a Hall of Fame third baseman, .307/.395/.506, 147 OPS+.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

And from 1985-90 Brett still hit like a Hall of Fame third baseman, .307/.395/.506, 147 OPS+.
                            If I was starting an Astroturf team, he'd be on it somewhere. He was a monster on Astroturf, check out his stats on the fake grass!
                            On one hand, the White Sox had to forfeit a game. On the other hand, disco was finally killed off. So overall, it was a win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZaXq338HN4

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

If I was starting an Astroturf team, he'd be on it somewhere. He was a monster on Astroturf, check out his stats on the fake grass!
                              Fellow BBFer, brett, has posted extensively about George Brett's Astroturf hitting. Apparently, in the 1970's the Royals had a team wide strategy of hitting ground balls through the gaps and run around the bases. They were highly successful doing that at home but not so much on grass fields. Perhaps brett can repost his data.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

No, Brett had iconic status before 1980. Brett was a LEGEND for destroying the Yankees in the postseason in 1976-78 with his bat and his fists. Haha

He destroyed the Yankees? Not quite. They won all three series.

WAR looks like it overrates Brett in the field and on the bases..I'm not sure he was better than Wright in either area through age 30 or 31.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X