Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC Finalists-Herzog, Harvey and Bill White

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4642412

I'm wonder if Marvin Miller will continue to lose votes.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Clue me in... 2 Steve O'Neills?

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
      Clue me in... 2 Steve O'Neills?
      They must have allowed the proofreader to make the office coffee that day.

With all the attention on bad calls during the post-season, how does it look if Doug Harvey is elected after being so close the last time?

If Charlie Grimm is elected, will they swap his plaque position for Joe Gordon's?

Will Bill Burgess cry if Col. Ruppert gets his due?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Hoping against hope that the electorate elects no one. This new VC set-up just seems rigged to elect managers and other non-players.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Managers and Umpires

>>
          COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Billy Martin, Whitey Herzog, Gene Mauch and Danny Murtaugh are among the former managers who will be on the ballot when the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee votes next month.

Tom Kelly, Davey Johnson, Steve O'Neill and Charlie Grimm also are on the 10-man ballot for managers and umpires. The Hall released the names Tuesday.

Doug Harvey and Hank O'Day are the umpires up for consideration.

<<

Here is the result of the meeting two years ago for 2008 induction. The committee of 16 considered 10 candidates, vote for as many as four with 12 votes needed election. The second column gives the result of the preceding vote by HOF members and honorees, restricted to these 10 nominees.
          Code:
          Numbers of votes for managers and umpires
          2008	2007	
          13		Billy	Southworth
          13	30	Dick	Williams
          11	52	Doug	Harvey
          11	29	Whitey	Herzog
          6		Danny	Murtaugh
          4		Hank	O'Day
          1		Davey	Johnson
          1	12	Billy	Martin
          1		Gene	Mauch
          1		Cy	Rigler

'1' represents 0 to 2 votes each; no more than 6 total
          Southworth and Williams were elected (blue). Seven runners up have been renominated (bold) while umpire Rigler have been replaced by managers Tom Kelly, Steve O'Neill, and Charlie Grimm.

Two years ago the committee cast at least 58 of its permitted 64 votes (64 is my guess), so at least ten members cast all four of their allotments. We may expect that leading incumbents Harvey, Herzog, Murtaugh, and O'Day will all garner more votes next month, a good share of the 26 votes previously cast for Southworth and Williams. Anyone who then supported five or six of the strong candidates may now vote for all four who remain.
          Last edited by Paul Wendt; 11-13-2009, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I'm shock that Jacob Ruppert is not in the HOF. He was the one who built the Yankees Dynasty.

Comment

Executives and Pioneers

>>
              A separate ballot for executives and pioneers includes former owners Gene Autry (Angels), Ewing Kauffman (Royals), John Fetzer (Tigers), Jacob Ruppert (Yankees) and Sam Breadon (St. Louis Cardinals) along with former players' association head Marvin Miller.

Retired National League president Bill White and former general managers Bob Howsam, John McHale and Gabe Paul also will be considered.

<<

Here is the result of the meeting two years ago for 2008 induction. The committee of 12 considered 10 candidates, vote for as many as four with 9 votes needed election. The second column gives the result of the preceding vote by HOF members and honorees, restricted to these 10 nominees.
              Code:
              Numbers of votes for executives
              2008	2007
              10		Barney	Dreyfuss
              10	14	Bowie	Kuhn
              9	36	Walter	O'Malley
              5		Ewing	Kauffman
              4		John	Fetzer
              3		Bob	Howsam
              3	51	Marvin	Miller
              1	30	Buzzie	Bavasi
              1		John	McHale
              1	10	Gabe	Paul

'1' represents 0 to 2 votes each; no more than 4 total.
              Dreyfuss, Kuhn, and O'Malley were elected (blue). Six runners up have been renominated (bold) while GM Bavasi has been replaced by owners Gene Autry, Sam Breadon, Jacob Ruppert, and league president Bill White.

Note that GM Buzzie Bavasi ran with owner Walter O'Malley, 30 and 36 votes, when the HOF members and honorees held the franchise (2007). I daresay we may expect that the owners continue to spank the GMs in these committee meetings.

Two years ago several committee members explained that Marvin Miller is a strong candidate but the slate and the rule, vote for no more than four, required choosing among strong candidates. That committee cast at least 44 of its permitted 48 votes (48 is my guess), so at least eight members cast all four of their allotments. We may expect that leading incumbents Kauffman, Fetzer, Miller, and Howsam will all garner more votes next month, a good share of the 29 votes previously cast for the big three.
              Last edited by Paul Wendt; 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nyykan_t View Post
                I'm shock that Jacob Ruppert is not in the HOF. He was the one who built the Yankees Dynasty.
                Sam Breadon represents the Cardinals in the same way.

Honoring the owner is a novelty. Once it was routine to recognize general managers in name or function as the builders of great ballclubs. Ed Barrow and Branch Rickey enjoyed the lion's share of the credit for the Yankees and Cardinals. (Larry MacPhail and George Weiss for the Dodgers and Yankees a generation later?) Field managers got their share, Huggins and McCarthy for the "Barrow Yankees". Maybe the successful ballclub was practically equated with the winning team so that selecting, acquiring, developing, and leading players were presumed to bethe crucial and honorable roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wendt View Post
                  Sam Breadon represents the Cardinals in the same way.

Honoring the owner is a novelty. Once it was routine to recognize general managers in name or function as the builders of great ballclubs. Ed Barrow and Branch Rickey enjoyed the lion's share of the credit for the Yankees and Cardinals. (Larry MacPhail and George Weiss for the Dodgers and Yankees a generation later?) Field managers got their share, Huggins and McCarthy for the "Barrow Yankees". Maybe the successful ballclub was practically equated with the winning team so that selecting, acquiring, developing, and leading players were presumed to bethe crucial and honorable roles.
                  What piss me off is that Tom Yawkey was inducted 29 years ago, while Jacob Ruppert and Sam Breadon are still outside the Hall.

Comment

Contributors elections 2007, 2003

Originally posted by nyykan_t View Post
                    What piss me off is that Tom Yawkey was inducted 29 years ago, while Jacob Ruppert and Sam Breadon are still outside the Hall.
                    That was exceptional. Until the special Negro Leagues election of 2006 and the election of Dreyfuss and O'Malley two years ago, the Hall of Fame had inducted only Yawkey and one other owner, Bill Veeck, younger than the league builders Mack, Comiskey, Griffith (iirc). It had elected only Yawkey and Veeck since electing Griffith in 1945 (iirc).

Veeck is in the Hall of Fame for his baseball work while the principal owner of a major league club. I'm not sure that is true of Yawkey. It may be that owner Yawkey and NL/MLB executive Ford Frick are really honored primarily as supporters of the Hall of Fame as an institution, Yawkey for donating money and Frick for donating time and energy.
                    --

Here in the first column is the full result of the 2007 "vote by HOF members and honorees" that appears partly in the second columns of my two tables above (#5,7). Here the second column gives the full result of the parallel 2003 election. These were the two combined Contributors elections under the "veterans committee" regime between the 2001/2002 and 2007 reforms. (That will someday be "the interregnum" if the present system survives for a long while.) Evidently the same 15 candidates were nominated for both 2003 and 2007.

Code:
                    2007	2003			where are they now?	
                    52	48	Doug Harvey	Managers & Umpires ballot
                    51	35	Marvin Miller	Executives ballot
                    36	38	Walter O'Malley	* elected two years ago
                    30	34	Buzzie Bavasi	--
                    30	33	Dick Williams	* elected two years ago
                    29	25	Whitey Herzog	Managers & Umpires ballot
                    24	22	Bill White	Executives ballot
                    14	20	Bowie Kuhn	* elected two years ago
                    13	11	August Busch	--
                    12	22	Billy Martin	Managers & Umpires ballot 
                    10	13	Gabe Paul	Executives ballot
                    10	9	Charley Finley	--
                    10	10	Paul Richards	--
                    9	9	Phil Wrigley	--
                    8	6	Harry Dalton	--
                    -- "so sorry to see you go"
                    * elected two years ago
                    Last edited by Paul Wendt; 12-05-2009, 05:59 AM. Reason: clarify preface to table

Comment

Herzog deserves induction.

So does Danny Murtaugh, the most underrated great manager in baseball history. His induction is long overdue, IMO.
                      "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

My top 8 eligible HOF candidates as managers

1. Whitey Herzog (Cardinals)
                        2. Billy Martin (Yankees)
                        3. Gene Mauch (Phillies)
                        4. Davey Johnson (Mets)
                        5. Danny Murtaugh (Pirates)
                        6. Ralph Houk (Yankees)
                        7. Charlie Grimm (Cubs)
                        8. Steve O’Neill (Tigers)

Replace Tom Kelly (who I've got at #12, and who's a pretty good candidate himself) with Houk and let them all in.

(Not gonna happen, I know.)

The lack of love for Houk is puzzling in my mind.

Comment

But, I should add, major kudos to the selection committee for putting together a really good ballot here, Houk or no Houk.

I think they got the umps right too -- Harvey's a no brainer, and this should be his year, but O'Day's a nice choice as well.

Comment

I saw this clip the other day of the Dodgers-Astros series at the end of the 1980 season--the Dodgers swept it, then lost the one-game playoff. Harvey's crew worked the series, then Harvey worked the plate in the playoff. I had never noticed umpires before, and I never saw a better-umpired series. In the clip, the benches clear when two players get into it at home plate. Harvey jumps between them, gets them separated, then starts put up his hands and waving at both sides--and they basically STOPPED. His nickname was God. For good reason. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

I am not convinced about owners like Ruppert and Breadon. Veeck was obviously an incredible innovator. O'Malley--Brooklyn hates him for it--took the risk with the West Coast; we now know it wasn't that big a risk, but could we be sure at the time? I'm not convinced that Ruppert and Breadon did anything except give the financial and moral support that Barrow and Rickey, respectively, needed. Not that they are undeserving, but I'm just not convinced.

Marvin Miller wanted his name off the ballot. When the membership comprised the voting group and didn't put him in, I thought the players involved were the most ungrateful group of swine that ever lived. No one has had a bigger impact on modern major league baseball, for better or worse (better, in my opinion). He belongs.

Several of the managers are possible, but I think longevity is important, too. Billy Martin's life and career became such a circus that it's hard to judge him, although he certainly won a lot. Whitey Herzog built the great Cardinals teams, carried the Royals a long way, and--we tend to forget--was instrumental in the Mets organization in helping to build the 1969 team.

Which somehow reminds me: Gil Hodges. He should be in there.

Comment

Contributor election results 2003 to 2010

Here is a different organization of the same data presented in #5, #7, #10. Within each occupation (bold) the 2010 nominees are listed first (winners orange), followed by past winners (hofers, blue) and past nominees. Subgroups are ordered by numbers of votes in their most recent election before this fall.

The 2007/2008 reform (partly described below) brought a massive shift of support to club owners and Bowie Kuhn, away from club GMs and Marvin Miller, whose election was barely prevented.

Updated 2009-12-07 to incorporate 2010 results.
                              Code:
                              2003	2007	2008	2010 (induction year)
                              				primary role
                              80	71	46	30	team Manager
                              48	52	16	23	Umpire

77	89	13	8	High executive
                              67	68	28	23	club Owner
                              63	58	6	3	club General Manager

--	--	58-64	48-58	committee on Managers & Umpires (max 64 votes)
                              --	--	44-48	28-40	committee on Executives (maximum 48 votes)
                              * above, 2008 and 2010 counts include estimates 1 for "less than three".
                              * below, 1 means "less than three" votes, 0 to 2
                              Code:
                              2003	2007	2008	2010
                              team Managers	
                              25	29	11	14	Whitey Herzog
                              		6	8	Danny	Murtaugh
                              22	12	1	1	Billy	Martin
                              		1	1	Davey	Johnson
                              		1	1	Gene	Mauch
                              			3	Charlie	Grimm
                              			1	Tom	Kelly
                              			1	Steve	O'Neill
                              33	30	13		Dick	Williams
                              		13		Billy	Southworth
                              Umpires	
                              48	52	11	15	Doug Harvey
                              		4	8	Hank	O'Day
                              		1		Cy	Rigler
                              high Officials		
                              35	51	3	7	Marvin	Miller	LABOR
                              22	24		1	Bill	White
                              20	14	10		Bowie	Kuhn
                              club Owners
                              		5	6	Ewing	Kauffman
                              		4	8	John	Fetzer
                              			1	Gene	Autry
                              			1	Sam	Breadon
                              			7	Jack	Ruppert
                              		10		Barney	Dreyfuss
                              38	36	9		Walter	O'Malley
                              11	13			August	Busch
                              9	10			Charley	Finley
                              9	9			Phil	Wrigley
                              club General Managers	
                              		3	1	Bob	Howsam
                              13	10	1	1	Gabe	Paul
                              		1	1	John	McHale
                              34	30	1		Buzzie	Bavasi
                              10	10			Paul	Richards
                              6	8			Harry	Dalton

2003	2007	2008	2010
                              For 2003 and 2007 the Historical Overview Committee nominated 60 contributors, 15 of whom advanced to a single final ballot voted by Hall of Fame members and nominees (about 2/3 players). For 2008 and 2010 the Historical Overview Committee directly nominated 10 managers and umpires for consideration by a committee of 16. A committee of 12 final voters nominated its own list of 10 executives for 2008, perhaps repeated for 2010.
                              Last edited by Paul Wendt; 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM. Reason: incorporate 2010 results

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X