Miller Huggins-NYY
    4.71%
    Casey Stengel-NYY
    21.18%
    Leo Durocher-BKN/NYG
    2.35%
    Connie Mack-PHIA-PHIA
    9.41%
    What the hey, if we're putting together an All-Time HOF Team, might as well have a manager...

I'll let in LaRussa, Cox, and Torre, they're givens, after all...

• Chadwick
    replied
    Al Lopez, Ned Hanlon, Frank Selee and Earl Weaver are better choices than some of the names on this list. I'd have taken one of them as my third pick.

Leave a comment:

• hwmongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    Yeah, an angry one, anyway lol... but unlucky 13 if included (Plus, how many votes would he get, could he really compete against these guys?)
    There are 6 managers on the poll with 2, 3, or 4 votes and Weaver has been mentioned by myself and a few others on this thread, so it's easy to picture him finishing higher than those 6 with only a few votes. A brief list of his accomplishments include 6 division titles in his first 11 years as manager, 4 pennants, and 1 world championship, plus 5 100-win seasons, another potential division title in the strike season of 1981 when they had the best overall record in the division but didn't win either half season, another season that went to the final weekend (1977), and another season that went to the final day (1982). Plus, he had the guts to move Cal Ripken to shortstop (where he would go on to a Hall of Fame career) 50 days into his rookie season. Plus, they won it all (division, pennant, and world championship) again the year after he retired (1983). He also had the 2nd highest winning percentage of all time when he retired the first time after 14 1/2 years.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
    I took McGraw as he was the actual architect and driving force behind his teams. The others usually had teams assembled by others.
    He was the architect behind 1915 thru 1924 AND 1934 thru 1950?

Leave a comment:

• rsuriyop
    replied
    McGraw, Selee, and Chance would have easily have been my top three choices. But since the latter two have been mysteriously omitted from this poll, I don't know who else I'd rather select from the above. And in addition to Chance/Selee, I also think Ned Hanlon deserves some mention here as well.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    I took McGraw as he was the actual architect and driving force behind his teams. The others usually had teams assembled by others.

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    Torre, Stengel and Mack

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    What about Earl Weaver?

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    great manager
    Yeah, an angry one, anyway lol... but unlucky 13 if included (Plus, how many votes would he get, could he really compete against these guys?)

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    great manager

Originally posted by hwmongoose View Post
    I would still vote for McGraw, McCarthy, and Stengel, but Earl Weaver deserves to be on the poll.

Leave a comment:

• hwmongoose
    replied
    I would still vote for McGraw, McCarthy, and Stengel, but Earl Weaver deserves to be on the poll.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    28 AB 4 hits .143 average, 1 RBI

yes your point that he was on the team trumps my point that he contributed nothing and if he had a good Lou Gehrig year they would have been even better (some already consider them the greatest team of all time)

NOT

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Actually, he was

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    and forgot to mention

the 1939 Yankees, which some consider the best team of all time and definitely a top 5

did this despite losing the all time ML best first basemen Lou Gehrig

he currently leads the poll on this site 34-3 over his nearest competitor

if Gehrig had been on that team it would have been frightening
    Actually, he was

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    So Stengel is far ahead with 11, and McGraw and McCarthy have each other matched at 7 apiece... Sparky anderson is threatening with 5, and still in the running, Connie Mack and Tony La Russa with 4...

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    and forgot to mention

the 1939 Yankees, which some consider the best team of all time and definitely a top 5

did this despite losing the all time ML best first basemen Lou Gehrig

he currently leads the poll on this site 34-3 over his nearest competitor

if Gehrig had been on that team it would have been frightening

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X