• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake
    Moose Man
    • Apr 2004

Did Bunning deserve induction?

I know he got in by veterans cmte, but looking at his stats, I don't think he merited induction.

Thoughts?
  • leecemark
    • Apr 2004

--My thought is he only got in because he is Sen Jim Bunning. He was a fine pitcher, but there are plenty of guys as good or better who have been passed over (although some worse who haven't).

Comment

• julusnc
      Team Veteran
      • Apr 2004

Jim Bunning knew the right people at the right time and got the nod...

Does he deserve his plaque? Nopers.

Comment

• iPod
        • Jul 2003

The thing I've often heard about Jim Bunning is that his stuff was so overpowering that when he was relieved, the opposing team would be so used to Bunning's stuff that they would feast on the relievers. Bill James notes this may have cost Bunning a good chunk of wins. I don't know how true this is, as it doesn't seem like it should be any more true of Bunning than other pitchers of that period with great stuff, but its worth mentioning I suppose.
        "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

• ElHalo
          Greek God of Baseball
          • Oct 2003

See, I feel that Bunning is one of the top 35 or so pitchers in the Hall, and is well beyond just deserving. The perfect game helps.
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• abacab
            Player Hater
            • Jun 2004

Bunning is an OK choice for a HoFer. His W-L isn't much but he never played for a team that finished first. The closest he got to the postseason was the infamous 1964 Phillies, for which he was overworked down the stretch and consequently lost several key games. His career ERA+ is 114, which isn't impressive either, but he had four years when it was over 140. Only one Cy Young Award was given out during his career, so he never won it. Had there been AL and NL awards while he played, he would have won in 1957 and 1967. Bunning was often among the leaders in innings pitched and complete games. He also allowed a lot of home runs and hit a lot of batters (but didn't walk a lot, which is weird). All things considered, he had enough standout years to be a Hall of Famer.

Comment

• DoubleX
              Just a Fool
              • Feb 2004

I'd take Blyleven over Bunning any day.

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                OSHA-certified Moderator
                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by abacab
                Bunning is an OK choice for a HoFer. His W-L isn't much but he never played for a team that finished first. The closest he got to the postseason was the infamous 1964 Phillies, for which he was overworked down the stretch and consequently lost several key games. His career ERA+ is 114, which isn't impressive either, but he had four years when it was over 140. Only one Cy Young Award was given out during his career, so he never won it. Had there been AL and NL awards while he played, he would have won in 1957 and 1967. Bunning was often among the leaders in innings pitched and complete games. He also allowed a lot of home runs and hit a lot of batters (but didn't walk a lot, which is weird). All things considered, he had enough standout years to be a Hall of Famer.
                Agreed, abacab on Bunning(you want it, you got it) but I think 1967 was the first year both leagues gave awards. Mike McCormack of San Francisco took the NL Award.

I don't agree with Bunning getting in because he was a Senator. He was hovering around the 50% mark before he was elected to Congress. It may have given him some recognition, but he hardly came from nowhere. Technically, he was serving in the U.S. House of Representatives when he was elected to the HOF.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• leecemark
                  • Apr 2004

--Abacab, If you don't walk many, but do hit alot of batters my guess would be that isn't wildness. He just liked to throw at hitters. As to the CY Young's it wouldn't have mattered if both leagues were giving one in 1967. The actual winner was from Bunning's league (Mike McCormick). He probably was the best AL pitcher in 1957 (his only 20 win season) and likely would have won. Billy Pierce would have given him a run for the CY though.
                  --Bunning was not popular with the press or fellow players when active and didn't have a pre-57 track record of success. Pierce was popular, did have the track record and had a season which I don't think was quite as good, but which would have made him a solid candidate. If what you meant was Bunning was the best pitcher in his league in both 57 and 67, that is probably true.

Comment

• abacab
                    Player Hater
                    • Jun 2004

Really, XX? Even on this day?

Comment

• abacab
                      Player Hater
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by leecemark
                      If what you meant was Bunning was the best pitcher in his league in both 57 and 67, that is probably true.
                      Yeah, I meant he should have won the award those years.

Comment

• DoubleX
                        Just a Fool
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by abacab
                        Really, XX? Even on this day?
                        Well I suppose not on that day, but Blyleven does have a no-hitter as well as 5 one-hitters.

Comment

• abacab
                          Player Hater
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Well I suppose not on that day, but Blyleven does have a no-hitter as well as 5 one-hitters.
                          I did not know that. Cool. Is there somewhere you can look up one-hitters?

By the way (at the risk of turning this into yet another Blyleven thread), this article is less than flattering to say the least. How accurate do you think this is? I had heard that he was difficult but this piece implies that he was despised just about everywhere he went. That reputation might be holding him back in HoF voting, just as it might have held back Bunning (as Leecemark noted).

Comment

• DoubleX
                            Just a Fool
                            • Feb 2004

Interesting article abacab, wouldn't surprise me any. If his attitude has soured his reputation with the writers, it certainly hasn't effected his reputation with his contemporaries. Several Hall of Famers who played with and against Blyleven say he belongs. Hopefully that bodes well for his VC candidacy one day, if it comes to that (and it's looking that way right now).

As for the one-hitters, box-scores of Blyleven's games will confirm that. However, I initially learned about the 5 one-hitters from an article, I can't remember if it was USA Today article or an article linked to bertblyeven.com. Sorry I can't be more specific right now.

Anyway, I agree with you, we shouldn't turn this into another Blyleven thread. I apologize for creating this tangent.
                            Last edited by DoubleX; 01-26-2005, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• leecemark
                              • Apr 2004

Ranking the hall of fame pitchers

--I took a quick look a quick look at the pitchers in the Hall of Fame and broke them up in 4 groups. I skipped over the Negro Leaguers and relief pitchers for this list. I also didn't do any reference checking and could probably be convinced I'm off one up or down on many of these guys.

The Elite
                              Alexander
                              Carlton
                              Feller
                              Gibson
                              Grove
                              Hubbell
                              Johnson
                              Mathewson
                              Nichols
                              Seaver
                              Spahn
                              Young
                              (Clemens, Maddux and Johnson will one day join this group)

The Obvious
                              Brown
                              Clarkson
                              Coveleski
                              Dean (it is the hall of FAME after all)
                              Ford
                              Galvin
                              Jenkins
                              Keefe
                              Koufax
                              Lemon
                              Lyons
                              Marichal
                              McGinnity
                              Newhouser
                              Neikro
                              Palmer
                              Perry
                              Plank
                              Radbourne
                              Roberts
                              Ryan
                              Rusie
                              Vance
                              walch
                              Waddell
                              Welch
                              (Martinez and Glavine will fit here)

The Borderline
                              Bender
                              Bunning
                              Drysdale
                              Faber
                              Gomez
                              Grimes
                              Haines
                              Hoyt
                              Hunter
                              Pennock
                              Rixey
                              Ruffing
                              Sutton
                              Willis
                              Wynn
                              (There are probably a dozen or more guys who aren't in and would fit neatly into this group. Blyleven and Mays are two who are clearly north of the border and should be in.)
                              The Mistakes
                              Chesbro
                              Joss (sorry no 10 years, no sale)
                              Marquard

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X