This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stieb37 View Post

He's an intriguing candidate! What are your thoughts on Curt Simmons, Bobo Newsom, Jerry Reuss, Brad Radke, and Bob Welch?
    Worth considering for your size HOF: Simmons/Newsom

Likely a bit short: Radke/Reuss

Shy: Welch

Besides Harry Breechen, some others I would consider: Claude Passeau, Kenny Rogers, Schoolboy Rowe, Virgil Trucks, Fernando Valenzuela, Roy Welmaker, Jim Whitney, and Carlos Zambrano also.
    Last edited by Jar of Flies; 09-26-2020, 06:21 PM.
    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Please add the following shortstops to my Personal Hall:

I take no credit for the following information. It all goes to Baseball Reference, Society for American Baseball Research, Seamheads, The Hall of Miller and Eric, and The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues.

Sam Bankhead SS (Homestead Grays)
      A strong showing on the Hall of Miller and Eric, with an estimated 67.8 WAR; Bankhead could play all over the field. He’s probably one of the game’s very best utility players of all time. Check out Dave Wilkie’s article on SABR, describing Bankhead’s “cannon arm.” The “Biographical Encyclopedia” states that he was elected to the East-West All-Star team seven times. Seamheads gives him a career .296 batting average. To me he is a top 100 player not in the Hall of Fame.

Bill Riggins SS (Detroit Stars)
      One of the Negro League’s all-time greatest shortstops. Riggins is projected with a 57.7 WAR on the Hall of Miller and Eric. They talk about him as an excellent baserunner, until he broke his leg. Seamheads credits him with a career .292 batting average in the Negro Leagues. “The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues,” credits him as a quick defender, switch hitter, with power.

Jimmy Rollins SS (Philadelphia Phillies)
      An outstanding baserunner and defender, with good power, Rollins is 20th all-time in Baseball Reference’s “Power-Speed #” (309.8). Rollins led the league in shortstop Total Zone twice and triples four times. He was awarded the 2007 N.L. MVP and led the Phillies to a 2008 World Series win with +18 runs from fielding according to Baseball Reference. He scored 1,421 runs and swiped 470 bases, with the 32nd greatest success rate.
      Great add with Sam Bankhead! Silvio Garcia might be a good one too.

Comment

Please add the following left fielders to my Personal Hall. I take no credit for the following info. It all goes to the Baseball Guru, The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues, Seamheads, Baseball Reference, and Wikipedia.

Hideki Matsui LF (Yomiuri Giants)

A familiar name to everyone on here, Matsui’s MLB debut was at age 29. Matsui would hit 175 homers in MLB and lead the league in games played three years in a row. He’s one of the greatest Postseason stars of Yankees history (.312/.391/.541) and he won the 2009 World Series MVP. In that series he had 14 hits including four homers. Including Matsui’s statistics from Japan, he blasted 507 homers, scored 1,557 runs, and drove in 1,649 RBI’s (I subtracted his Minor League stats).

Shosei Go LF (Mainichi Dragons)
        Go is a member of the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame. According to Jim Albright, he played during a deadball era and shortened seasons; so his counting stats are low. He speaks of him as the “premier leadoff hitter” of that era. He won two batting titles and pitched a no-hitter in 1946. On Baseball Reference Go produced a .379 OBP in 20 seasons and stole 381 bases with an 82% success rate.

Augustin Bejerano LF (Veracruz Blues)
        According to the “Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues,” Bejerano was a star of the Mexican League with a .312 lifetime batting average. He led the Mexican League in stollen bases four times and won seven championships. He’s a member of the Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame.

Tomoaki Kanemoto LF (Hanshin Tigers)

Kanemoto is a member of the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame. He won the 2005 MVP, was awarded seven Best Nines, and was a 10-time all-star. He smashed 476 homeruns and has a tremendous slash line, over 21 seasons of: .285/.382/.503. He also holds the record for consecutive games played.
        Hideki! Willard Brown might not fall into the LF bucket (CF?), but I don't see him in your HOF yet, prime candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
          In the process of a major overhaul. So far:

Remove: Heinie Groh, Joe Harris, Tony Lazzeri, Mike Tiernan, Christian Yelich

Add: Buddy Bell, Bobby Bonds, Dolph Camilli, Robinson Cano, Caesar Cedeno, Ron Cey, Jim Edmonds, Art Fletcher, Nellie Fox, Stan Hack, Cal McVey, John Olerud, Jorge Posada, Willie Randolph, Robin Ventura, Matt Williams, Jimmy Wynn

Futures: Freddie Freeman, Paul Goldschmidt, Evan Longoria
          Nice updates, tough to see Groh and Lazzeri go, but 2 guys like you that I go back and forth on.

Hopefully Yelich recovers, and Freeman/Goldschmidt/Longoria can continue to build strong cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

Pierce is at 88 PARC-D now (dropped 2). It took a LOT of favorable adjustments just to get him there. I usually don't have sub-90 guys in the HOF unless there are uniquely circumstances (Dizzy Dean or Kirby Puckett) and/or in the real HOF withour a lot of contention (Wynn).

Galvin and Mullane were victims of some pretty big rounding issues (bout 2 each) and about 2 PARC-D with the new FIP adjustments.

McGriff is now up to 87. Really tempted to allow him over the line. Knowing he lost relative value to PED users is probably enough to get him there.
            Thank you for the backdrop on this, and agree with your McGriff gut feelings.
            He's a HOF level guy with Thress records, he's a big gainer in park adjustments, and he was awfully good in the playoffs.
            While he wasn't a dynamic defensive player, he stared in the commercial I've viewed the most: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BEEV8Nn3vU

Comment

• Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Hideki! Willard Brown might not fall into the LF bucket (CF?), but I don't see him in your HOF yet, prime candidate.
              If he's not in there it's an oversight on my part. Good catch!

Comment

Nice updates, tough to see Groh and Lazzeri go, but 2 guys like you that I go back and forth on.

Hopefully Yelich recovers, and Freeman/Goldschmidt/Longoria can continue to build strong cases.
                Lazzeri and Groh are right on the line.

I am still rooting for Yelich. As of today, his career has been too up and down to predict where he will land when he finally hangs it up.

Comment

He's under my CF

Comment

Hmm, my apologies, looks like he is in under the CF group

Comment

• Please add Don Sutton
                      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Please add the following center fielders to my Hall. Credit for the following info goes to the following and I take none: "The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues," Baseball Reference, Wikipedia, Seamheads, Fansided, and Baseball Gauge.

Sam Jethroe CF (Cleveland Buckeyes)

A speedster, Jethroe would lead the league in triples and stollen bases multiple times throughout his career. He won two batting titles in the Negro American League with the Cleveland Buckeyes from 1944-45. In his time with the Buckeyes, Seamheads credits Jethroe with a 157 OPS+. The Hall of Miller and Eric estimates his WAR total at 54.4. He would play two seasons with the Montreal Royals in AAA ball, from 1948-49. In Montreal he led the International League in steals both times and runs, hits, and triples once. In 1950 he joined the Boston Braves at age 33, scoring 100 runs, leading the league in stollen bases, and becoming the oldest player to win Rookie of the year. The next season he again led the league in stollen bases, at age 34, and scored 101 runs (4.8 WAR). Both years Jethroe led the league in Baseball References power-speed #.

Mike Cameron CF (Seattle Mariners)
                        An outstanding fielder and baserunner, with power, Mike Cameron is credited with a solid 24.6 WAA on Baseball Gauge. He would steal over 20 bases and belt over 20 homers eight times a piece throughout his career. With the Mariners, in 2002, Cameron would join a select group by smashing four homers in a single game. He is 12th in Total Zone with +92 runs saved on Baseball Reference.

Devon White CF (Toronto Blue Jays)
                        One of baseball’s great fielders and leadoff hitters, White’s +112 Total Zone is 6th all-time among center fielders. He led center fielders four times in that category. White won seven Golden Gloves for his defensive exploits. Additionally, Devon White would smash 208 homers and swipe 346 bases (259.8 power-speed # for 46th all-time).

Comment

• Please add John T. Brush Executive (New York Giants). Thank you!

Comment

• Add John McGraw

Comment

• Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                              Add John McGraw
                              , will a 19th century guy get bounced in favor, love the add!

Comment

, will a 19th century guy get bounced in favor, love the add!
                                Nope....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X