No announcement yet.

Tony Oliva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the McCormick thread, these could be combined.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ighlight=Oliva

Sorry, I just have a "thing" about find two different threads about the same person, when one will suffice.

Oliva played his career during the second deadball era, and yet he still had a batting average of .304, a home run total of 220, and a .476 slugging percentage. His 131 OPS+ is nice, as is his list of accolades: eight All Stars in 15 seasons, a Gold Glove, a Rookie of the Year Award.

He has Hall of Famer black ink and grey ink.

I don't know...I'm leaning towards a "he should be in the Hall" stance.

Comment

Like a few others that emphasize career length and numbers Oliva falls short at the RF position scoring 8381 in H-Factor. He's ahead of current player Reggie Sanders and behind shawn Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
        Like the McCormick thread, these could be combined.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ighlight=Oliva

Sorry, I just have a "thing" about find two different threads about the same person, when one will suffice.
        I endorse that thinking, and it helps keep the older parts of the discussion alive. My biggest concern is with active players, but even then, I tend toward keeping them together.
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I would hope that Harold Baines's selection will result in Tony O getting another shot. Tony O was a GREAT player before his knee injury took its toll.
          "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Oliva is clearly a HOFer. I grew up in northern South Dakota and watched Twin road games on TV. Oliva raked. His 64-71 run was incredible. His OPS+ was 141 before his injury. Plus he should have been up about 3 years earlier. He ripped up the minors and the Twins didn't bring him up until age 25. Had a great case for MVP his rookie season.
            This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X