Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future BBWAA Candidates

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Future BBWAA Candidates

    Thought I would put together a series of "For Your Information" posts for easy reference regarding Hall of Fame rules, eligibility, information, etc. Many people who use this forum seem to ask for the same information and I thought it would be useful to post some of that so it is easily found here. I don't know that it's necessary to sticky these (and create a large number of stickies in the process), but at least we could refer someone by quoting a post in one of these threads. This is the first such thread.

    Projected Eligibility for Future BBWAA Candidates

    2006 BBWAA Election (retired in/after 2000 season)
    Rick Aguilera
    Tim Belcher
    Albert Belle
    Ken Caminiti (retired in 2001, but died 10/10/04)
    Will Clark
    Alex Fernandez
    Gary Gaetti
    Dwight Gooden
    Ozzie Guillen
    Juan Guzman
    Orel Hershiser
    Gregg Jefferies
    Lance Johnson
    Doug Jones
    Roberto Kelly
    Mickey Morandini
    Hal Morris
    Jaime Navarro
    Luis Polonia
    Mike Stanley
    Walt Weiss
    John Wetteland
    Mark Whiten

    2007 BBWAA Election (retired in/after 2001 season)
    Harold Baines
    Derek Bell
    Dante Bichette
    Bobby Bonilla
    Jeff Brantley
    Jay Buhner
    Jose Canseco
    Eric Davis
    Tony Fernandez
    Tony Gwynn
    Darryl Hamilton
    Pete Harnisch
    Charlie Hayes
    Glenallen Hill
    Ken Hill
    Stan Javier
    Wally Joyner
    Ramon Martinez
    Mark McGwire
    Paul O'Neill
    Gregg Olson
    Cal Ripken Jr.
    Bret Saberhagen
    Jeff Shaw
    Kevin Tapani
    Devon White
    Bobby Witt

    2008 BBWAA Election (retired in/after 2002 season)
    Shawon Dunston
    Travis Fryman
    Rusty Greer
    David Justice
    Mike Morgan
    Rob Nen
    Tim Raines
    Randy Velarde

    2009 BBWAA Election (retired in/after 2003 season)
    David Cone
    Mark Grace
    Rickey Henderson
    Jesse Orosco
    Dean Palmer
    Dan Plesac
    Mo Vaughn
    Matt Williams

    2010 BBWAA Election (retired in/after 2004 season)
    Roberto Alomar
    Kevin Appier
    Ellis Burks
    Andres Galarraga
    Pat Hentgen
    Barry Larkin
    Edgar Martinez
    Mike Mordecai
    Robin Ventura
    Todd Zeile

    2011 BBWAA Election or beyond (retired in/after 2005 season or later)
    John Franco
    Larry Walker


    Please mention any recently retired candidates who aren't on these lists.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 10-22-2005, 04:09 AM.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

  • #2
    The only reasonable candidates on those lists are Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr., Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson, Mark Grace, and possibly Larkin or Edgar Martinez.

    Gwynn- Ripken- McGwire (Unless BBWAA looks at steroid possibilities)- Henderson are probably the most likely to be inducted

    Then it would be (in order of probability of being elected) Grace, Martinez, Larkin.
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh and, does Robb Nen stay in the group who retired during 2002 season or does he go in the group who retired after the 2004 season because he just announced his retirement? Do they just wait 5 years from the last season played in?
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

      Comment


      • #4
        Top 5

        1.Gwynn
        2.Ripken
        3.Raines
        4.Henderson
        5.McGwire
        AL East Champions: 1981 1982
        AL Pennant: 1982
        NL Central Champions: 2011
        NL Wild Card: 2008

        "It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by E.Banks#14
          Oh and, does Robb Nen stay in the group who retired during 2002 season or does he go in the group who retired after the 2004 season because he just announced his retirement? Do they just wait 5 years from the last season played in?
          It's from the last season he played in. Chancellor is correct in his assessment...although, I wouldn't count Henderson as retired quite yet. Knowing Rickey he still might be in the Majors in 2009.

          Comment


          • #6
            --Mark Grace? He'll be lucky if he isn't one and done.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by leecemark
              --Mark Grace? He'll be lucky if he isn't one and done.
              You're probably correct, but that's a shame. He certainly deserves more consideration than he'll probably receive.

              Comment


              • #8
                Won't Caminiti, having died, go on the ballot immediately?
                "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

                Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ElHalo
                  Won't Caminiti, having died, go on the ballot immediately?
                  I think they have to waive the rules to get someone on the ballot even if they pass away before their five year waiting period would be up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Commissioner
                    I think they have to waive the rules to get someone on the ballot even if they pass away before their five year waiting period would be up.
                    Is that the case? I seem to remember Daryll Kyle going on immediately, without any process. Could be wrong, I suppose.
                    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

                    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ElHalo
                      Is that the case? I seem to remember Daryll Kyle going on immediately, without any process. Could be wrong, I suppose.
                      No, I'm probably wrong here. I'm sure someone will come along with the correct rules momentarily.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        nobody next year
                        mcgwire, ripken and gwynn in 2007
                        harold baines anmd tim raines in 08
                        henderson in 09'
                        martinez and larkin in 2010
                        32 Mike Hampton
                        15 Tim Hudson
                        30 Horacio Ramirez
                        29 John Smoltz
                        52 John Thomson
                        23 Johnny Estrada
                        14 Julio Franco
                        1 Rafael Furcal
                        22 Marcus Giles
                        10 Chipper Jones
                        19 Adam LaRoche
                        33 Brian Jordan R/R 6-1 225 03/29/67
                        43 Raul Mondesi R/R 5-11 230 03/12/71
                        25 Andruw Jones

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          2006 will introduce Albert Belle and Will Clark to the waiting list. Doc Gooden or Orel Hershiser may be able to hang on to a ballot or two, but I'm not going to bother. John Wetteland will be dropped, which in my mind will be unfortunate, as I would likely vote for him over the other two pitchers if I had to.
                          elected: Bruce Sutter.

                          2007's trio will be reduced to a duo as I actually think McGwire will be short-changed for at least one year. Jose Canseco's issues are thankfully going to drop him from the first ballot instead of having him suck up votes. Perhaps because of this, a Harold Baines or Tony Fernandez may be able to hang on.
                          elected: Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr.

                          2008 is an extremely weak year, but will produce one viable candidate in Tim Raines. Look for 2007 to create a number of casualties (Parker, Concepcion)... which when followed by a year like this, will mean certain candidates on the waiting list will get huge boosts.
                          elected: Mark McGwire (?).

                          2009 brings us a no-brainer in Henderson but I doubt much else. Mark Grace, and maybe even Matt Williams will benefit from the space and should latch on for a few years. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this will be a boon year, with Goose Gossage and Andre Dawson joining The Rickey in Cooperstown. The 80's get respect in the wake of the Juiced Era.
                          elected: Andre Dawson, Goose Gossage, Rickey Henderson.

                          2010... well honestly this projection should be completely wrong by now. Luckily, we haven't started hitting most of the 'roid controversy yet. I think Larkin will get in, but not on the first ballot... I think Edgar Martinez will hang around with some 30% of the vote. Ventura would get about as much support as Williams. Nen will be forgotten. So because I know the voters would rather elect at least one player per year (it would make for a ghastly ceremony otherwise for us TV-goers), let much of the Baseball Fever community rejoice.
                          elected: Bert Blyleven.
                          Last edited by J W; 02-20-2005, 10:15 PM.
                          http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Rusty Greer and Pat Hentgen will now also be eligible for the 2010 election but neither will last more than a year or two on the ballot.
                            Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by J W
                              2006 will introduce Albert Belle and Will Clark to the waiting list. Doc Gooden or Orel Hershiser may be able to hang on to a ballot or two, but I'm not going to bother. John Wetteland will be dropped, which in my mind will be unfortunate, as I would likely vote for him over the other two pitchers if I had to.
                              elected: Bruce Sutter.

                              2007's trio will be reduced to a duo as I actually think McGwire will be short-changed for at least one year. Jose Canseco's issues are thankfully going to drop him from the first ballot instead of having him suck up votes. Perhaps because of this, a Harold Baines or Tony Fernandez may be able to hang on.
                              elected: Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr.

                              2008 is an extremely weak year, but will produce one viable candidate in Tim Raines. Look for 2007 to create a number of casualties (Parker, Concepcion)... which when followed by a year like this, will mean certain candidates on the waiting list will get huge boosts.
                              elected: Mark McGwire (?).

                              2009 brings us a no-brainer in Henderson but I doubt much else. Mark Grace, and maybe even Matt Williams will benefit from the space and should latch on for a few years. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this will be a boon year, with Goose Gossage and Andre Dawson joining The Rickey in Cooperstown. The 80's get respect in the wake of the Juiced Era.
                              elected: Andre Dawson, Goose Gossage, Rickey Henderson.

                              2010... well honestly this projection should be completely wrong by now. Luckily, we haven't started hitting most of the 'roid controversy yet. I think Larkin will get in, but not on the first ballot... I think Edgar Martinez will hang around with some 30% of the vote. Ventura would get about as much support as Williams. Nen will be forgotten. So because I know the voters would rather elect at least one player per year (it would make for a ghastly ceremony otherwise for us TV-goers), let much of the Baseball Fever community rejoice.
                              elected: Bert Blyleven.
                              I believe Lee Smith deserves to be in the Hall. Most career saves, enough said. Anyone leading in any other major pitching category is elected, why not him? Relievers need to be better recognized by the voters, every player no matter what position, C, P, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, SP, RP, CL, deserves a chance at the hall. I think the voting is very biased towards hitters and starters right now.
                              A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X