alfonso soriano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alfonso soriano

what do you think his chances to get into the hall are? he's a solid young second baseman, i think if he continues to produce like he's done in his short career, he's headed to the hall.
    Yes, he'll deserve to be in the HOF
    4.62%
    No, his numbers will not merit HOF induction
    95.38%
    32 Mike Hampton
    15 Tim Hudson
    30 Horacio Ramirez
    29 John Smoltz
    52 John Thomson
    23 Johnny Estrada
    14 Julio Franco
    1 Rafael Furcal
    22 Marcus Giles
    10 Chipper Jones
    19 Adam LaRoche
    33 Brian Jordan R/R 6-1 225 03/29/67
    43 Raul Mondesi R/R 5-11 230 03/12/71
    25 Andruw Jones

Soriano is a excellent hitter and base runner but he lacks defensive ability that may plague him in the future.

Comment

It's WAY to early to count.. but with the ways are going for him I don't think he will. He doesn't come off to me as a guy who is going to have a long succesful career.

Comment

At his best, he has shown himself to be a 30/30 player (almost 40/40), but over all, he just has an above average BA, below average OBP (that one REALLY hurts - .323/.336), he has good power, fair/above average defense, but nothing exciting in that department.

Will he be consistent? Signs show - NO. He had a good first couple of years, and while it might be the park, but while he hit 35+ HR's in NY, he couldn't hit 30 in Texas! It may have just been a down year, but it could also be a sign of things to come.

Overall, a good hitter, doesn't walk a lot, is still young, and has plenty of room to mature. He could have good power, and it should shine more w/ fewer juiced HR's showing up (I won't speculate towrads A.S. on that subject). Of course, he is only 29 years old this season, so he has plenty of time to add to his already impressive resume.

Comment

another thing is he strikes out like nobody's business, a career BB to K ratio of .225
          I think, therefore I love the Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by NationalPastime1980
            Soriano is a excellent hitter and base runner but he lacks defensive ability that may plague him in the future.
            This is what will probably plague him as time goes on. If he was a GGer, and he kept up his offensive pace, he could look like a possible HOFer, but right now he just seems to be coming up short of that mark.

Comment

Right now there are only two players with around 5 years and under experience who we can legitimately talk about as HOF talents with production to match, and that's Albert Pujols and Ichiro. Soriano has put up some nice numbers in an era of inflated stats (steroids or not) but nothing to jump up and down over yet.

He's 29? If he were 25 I'd feel a bit stronger about him, since, as Edgar pointed out, he may be already past his best stuff. 25 and 29 can be a big difference toward an off season or the start of a irreversible trend.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

talk to me in 5 years or so and then i'll start considering whether he is a HOF caliber player.

Comment

Soriano is NOT a young player. He's already 29 years old. Remember, he was part of AgeGate a few seasons ago. He was actually two years older than previously known. He's only five months younger than A-Rod and he's older than Vlad. I think he lack of plate discipline will hurt him in the end. How many great 2B have had had that awful of a K/BB ratio? Also, his defense is not good.
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

He just isn't the type of player that tends to sustain excellence into his 30s, when he loses a step afield and on the basepaths.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think in five years he's a role player.

Comment

I think Soriano will end up having a career like Greg Jefferies or Roberto Kelly.

Comment

Being able to field, make contact with the ball regularly, or take pitches might help his case. Yes, he hits 30 homeruns a year but...who doesn't?
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

He didn't do much in that Bandbox in Texas, I think his best days are behind him.

Comment

Alfonso Soriano

Alfonso Soriano has been the most disrespected player in baseball, but he is also the player who has done the most this year to help his HOF case.

Soriano has hit 32 HRs in the toughest park in the NL. He's walked more than ever. He's still fast on the bases, he's hitting .289, and he's been hot all season.

Soriano has been a four time All-Star at second base and an All-Star this year in LF. He's got 194 HRs, he's hitting .289, he's got more walks NOW than he's ever had, and should end up with somewhere between 60-70 walks.

Despite all he's done, Soriano gets no respect. He's treated like Dave Kingman in some quarters. It's true that Soriano has his deficiences. To-wit:

(A) He was a below-average defensive second baseman (though not as bad as he was made out to be, IMO)

(B) He didn't walk much, until this year

(C) He was revealed to be 3 years older than believed when he first came up.

All that said, Soriano is likely to have 205-210 HRs by the end of this year. He's 30. He started late, and played 5 years at second base. And just when people were complaining about his park advantage in Texas, he's traded to the toughest ballpark in the NL and he's lighting it up like he never did before.

Can Soriano make the HOF? What has to happen for him to make the HOF?
                            "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

--Well for starters this season needs to represent a sustainable level and not a career year. He wasn't even on the HoF radar (at least mine) prior to this year. Actually he wasn't on my radar until about 60 seconds ago . He is still just a faint blip off in the distance.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X