Reds BBF HOF project, round four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Ouch- Dolf Luque hasn't been elected to the Reds Hall of Fame? This is amazing. Luque is one of a small handful of the best pitchers in Reds history. He pitched well for more than 10 years for the Reds, won more than 150 games with often mediocre teams, won 2 ERA crowns. Unfortunately I haven't been following the Reds election closely- when I opened it up today I first saw the results through 3 rounds, saw Luque hadn't been elected, said huh? Then I looked further, saw that he didn't make it in round 4- a real travesty. I'm feeling bad since I didn't vote in this one. Anyhow, a BIG mistake.
    Well, there will be a second chance election to fix that. I voted for him in all four rounds, and I'll vote for him again. Interestingly, though, he seems to have been more consistently good than flashy, and that's probably part of the problem. Yeah, he led in pitching WAR twice, but was in the top ten "only" twice more. In ERA, he had the two titles and four other top 10 finishes. The teams hurt in the win and win percentage figures, where he was in the top 10 three and two times respectively. He was in the top 10 in WHIP six times, and five times each for IP, K and CG. For the franchise overall, he's second in career IP, 5th in career wins, 5th in pitching WAR, 12th in both K and ERA+, and 5th in career shutouts.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
      For the franchise overall, he's second in career IP, 5th in career wins, 5th in pitching WAR, 12th in both K and ERA+, and 5th in career shutouts.
      I was going to give case for Luque, but all of what BigRon says and mostly this quote is alot of why he deserves election.

Plus, of course, his monster 1923. Arguably the best pitching performance by a Reds starter.
      He is one of the best hitting pitchers for the Reds as well.

Subjective factors include being the 1st Cuban born pitcher in the majors. It wouldn't be until the 1950s that another really lasting Cuban would really hold up in the majors.
      I believe he was the 1st Cuban born player overall to have a truely great season.

Comment

Frey, Luque and Purkey are all on the list for the second chance election.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I'll make a case for 1 more Red.

Jim Maloney

For the franchise overall :
          1st in Ks, K/9 (500 IP min.)
          2nd in Shutouts
          4th in pWAR
          5th in oWAR for pitchers
          7th in Wins

From Wikipedia...
          Maloney pitched two games in which he gave up no hits through nine innings in 1965, while going on to win 20 games that year. His first hitless nine-inning performance in 1965 was on June 14 against the New York Mets. This game lasted through 10 scoreless innings, including a combined 18 strikeouts, but Johnny Lewis led off with a home run in the 11th inning. Hence, Maloney lost the game 1-0. At the time, that game was officially recognized as a no-hitter, but the rules were later changed to omit no-hit games that were broken up in extra innings.

Maloney's first official no-hitter came on August 19, 1965, against the Chicago Cubs, which he won 1-0. This was the first no-hitter in major league history where the pitcher who threw it went more than nine innings. His second one came on April 30, 1969, in which he beat the Houston Astros 10-0 at Crosley Field in Cincinnati.

Comment

Maloney will be added as well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X