Pirates BBF Franchise HOF round four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates BBF Franchise HOF round four

This election will close on March 23, 2012, at 7:00 a.m EDT.

This is the fourth round for this franchise. The third round is here.

We inducted the following players:
    Babe Adams
    Ginger Beaumont
    Jake Beckley
    Barry Bonds
    John Candelaria
    Max Carey
    Fred Clarke
    Roberto Clemente
    Wilbur Cooper
    Roy Face
    Bob Friend
    Brian Giiles
    Ralph Kiner
    Vern Law
    Tommy Leach
    Sam Leever
    Bill Mazeroski
    Al Oliver
    Dave Parker
    Tony Pena
    Deacon Phillippe
    Willie Stargell
    Pie Traynor
    Andy Van Slyke
    Arky Vaughan
    Honus Wagner
    Paul Waner

Now the contributors: voting concluded
    Joe Brown
    Barney Dreyfuss
    Danny Murtaugh
    Bob Prince
    Chuck Tanner

PLEASE READ THE FORMAT AND RULES SECTION BEFORE VOTING. THANK YOU.

FORMAT AND RULES

Purpose: The purpose of this project is to create a Hall of Fame for each franchise whereby each franchise will honor those individuals whose contributions and accomplishments are most notable, significant, and enduring to that franchise's history. This project is not about simply honoring those with the best statistics with each franchise.

Standards: Each franchise has its own unique history and context, and thus contributions and accomplishments that may stand out remarkably within one franchise's history, may not be so remarkable in another franchise's history. Standards from franchise to franchise will inherently vary, and thus there should be no impetus to create equal standards among the franchises or to aspire to the standards of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Consequently, subjectivity within the context of the franchise in question will play an inevitable role when considering an individual's contributions and accomplishments with respect to that franchise. In sum, a franchise's Hall of Fame should be unaffected by the standards and contexts of other franchises as well as the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and should be entirely a product of its own history.

Election Format: Elections will be conducted one franchise at a time starting in chronological order with the oldest continuously and currently operational franchise. Each election will last approximately five days.
    - Ballot Size: Voters can select up to 15 players and 5 contributors per election. There is no minimum ballot size.
    - Ballot Editing: To account for ongoing discussion, voters may edit their ballots as often as necessary through the end of an election.
    - Election Percentage: Any individual that is listed on at least 75% of either the player or contributor submitted ballots will be elected to that team's Hall of Fame. In instances where an individual receive votes as both a player and a contributor, that individual will be elected if listed on at least 75% of ballots in either category or if the individual's combined vote total is at least 75% of the category with the greatest number of ballots submitted. However, a minimum of six votes is needed for election.
    - Subsequent Rounds: After an election has been performed for each franchise, a second round of elections will commence, again proceeding in chronological order. A third round of elections (and perhaps beyond) may also be held depending on interest.

Eligibility:
    - Players: Players may be considered by any currently operational franchise for which they appeared and are eligible either immediately upon officially retiring or after having not appeared at any level of professional baseball for an entire season for reasons not due to injury.
    - Contributors: Individuals that contributed in other capacities to a franchise may be considered, including managers, coaches, executives, owners, and broadcasters. Mascots are eligible. Contributors that are still active may only be elected by their current employing franchise, and cannot be considered by prior employing franchises until no longer active (this does not apply to individuals who are employed by a franchise only in nominal and/or non-integral ways, such as in scouting, consulting, or public relations capacities).
    - Multiple Capacities: The totality of contributions and accomplishments with respect to a franchise are to be considered, and thus an individual can only be elected once by a franchise. For purposes of ballot size limits, an individual should be designated either a player or contributor based on what the voter perceives to be the individual's greater role with the franchise. An individual should not be listed as either a player or contributor merely to facilitate ballot space for the other category.
    - Relocations/Renaming: Franchises that have relocated and/or been renamed, may still consider and elect individuals that were with the franchise prior to the relocation/renaming.
    - Multiple Franchises: An individual may be considered and elected by multiple franchises.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES
    Franchise History
    - Founded: 1882 (AA from 1882-1886, NL since)
    - Former Locations/Names: Pittsburgh Alleghenys (1882-1890)

Titles
    - World Series Championships: 5 (1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979)
    - Pennants: 9 (1901, 1902, 1903, 1909, 1925, 1927, 1960, 1971, 1979)
    - Division Titles: 9 (1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1979, 1990, 1991, 1992)
    - Wild Card Berths: 0

Helpful Links
    The following links are all courtesy of baseball-reference.com, baseball-almanac.com, and wikipedia.com and may assist voters in determining an individual's impact on this franchise:
    - Franchise Almanac
    - All Batters
    - All Pitchers
    - Batting Leaders
    - Pitching Leaders
    - Most Common Positional Starters
    - Most Common Pitching Staff Alignments
    - Managers
    - Notable Owners and Executives
    - Notable Broadcasters

Award Recipients
    - MVP Recipients (7): Barry Bonds (1992), Barry Bonds (1990), Willie Stargell (1979), Dave Parker (1978), Roberto Clemente (1966), Dick Groat (1960), Paul Waner (1927)

- Cy Young Recipients (2): Doug Drabek (1990), Vern Law (1960)

- RoY Recipients (1): Jason Bay (2004)

- Batting Triple Crown (0):

- Pitching Triple Crown (0):

Multiple All Star Selections (no adjustment for double selections for 1959-1962)
    Code:
    Rank 	Player			Selections
    1	Roberto Clemente	15
    2	Bill Mazeroski		10
    3	Arky Vaughan		8
    t4	Smoky Burgess		7
    t4	Willie Stargell		7
    t6	Roy Face		6
    t6	Dick Groat		6
    8	Ralph Kiner		5
    t9	Bobby Bonilla		4
    t9	Bob Elliott		4
    t9	Bob Friend		4
    t9	Dave Parker		4
    t9	Tony Pena		4
    t9	Rip Sewell		4
    t9	Paul Waner		4
    t16	Frankie Gustine		3
    t16	Jason Kendall*		3
    t16	Al Oliver		3
    t16	Freddy Sanchez*		3
    t16	Manny Sanguillen	3
    t16	Bob Skinner		3
    t16	Frank Thomas		3
    t16	Andy Van Slyke		3
    t24	Gene Alley		2
    t24	Matty Alou		2
    t24	Jason Bay*		2
    t24	Barry Bonds		2
    t24	Vince DiMaggio		2
    t24	Phil Garner		2
    t24	Brian Giles		2
    t24	Vern Law		2
    t24	Bill Madlock		2
    t24	Dick Stuart		2
    t24	Pie Traynor		2
    t24	Bob Veale		2
    t24	Mike Williams		2

* Player is currently active
    Notable Player List
    The following is a list of retired players who with this franchise had at least 3,000 plate appearances (or 2,500 if predominantly played during the 19th Century), 1,000 innings pitched, or appeared as pitcher in 200 games. This list is purely meant as a guide for players who contributed to this franchise over some modicum of time, though players with this franchise not appearing on this list may still be considered by voters, as it is entirely possible that a player may have made a significant and lasting contribution to this franchise despite having a relatively short tenure with the franchise.

Code:
    Players (100)
    Babe Adams
    Gene Alley
    Matty Alou
    Clyde Barnhart
    Ginger Beaumont
    Jake Beckley
    Jay Bell
    Lou Bierbauer
    Carson Bigbee
    Steve Blass
    Barry Bonds
    Bobby Bonilla
    Max Butcher
    Howie Camnitz
    John Candelaria
    Max Carey
    Fred Carroll
    Fred Clarke
    Roberto Clemente
    Donn Clendenon
    Wilbur Cooper
    Murry Dickson
    Patsy Donovan
    Doug Drabek
    Bob Elliott
    Dock Ellis
    Bones Ely
    Roy Face
    Elbie Fletcher
    Larry French
    Bob Friend
    Pud Galvin
    George Gibson
    Brian Giles
    Dave Giusti
    George Grantham
    Charlie Grimm
    Dick Groat
    Frankie Gustine
    Lee Handley
    Pink Hawley
    Richie Hebner
    Frank Killen
    Ralph Kiner
    Jeff King
    Bruce Kison
    Ron Kline
    Ray Kremer
    Vern Law
    Tommy Leach
    Sam Seever
    Lefty Leifield
    Jose Lind
    Bill Madlock
    Al Martin
    Bill Mazeroski
    Al McBean
    Doggie Miller
    Bob Moose
    Omar Moreno
    Ed Morris
    Johnny Morrison
    Al Oliver
    Dave Parker
    Tony Pena
    Deacon Phillippe
    Johnny Ray
    Jerry Reuss
    Rick Rhoden
    Claude Ritchey
    Don Robinson
    Jim Rooker
    Jim Russell
    Manny Sanguillen
    Scott Sauerbeck
    Rip Sewell
    Bob Skinner
    Mike Smith
    Willie Stargell
    Rennie Stennett
    Gus Suhr
    Bill Swift
    Jesse Tannehill
    Kent Tekulve
    Frank Thomas
    Salomon Torres
    Pie Traynor
    Andy Van Slyke
    Arky Vaughan
    Bob Veale
    Bill Virdon
    Honus Wagner
    Bob Walk
    Lloyd Waner
    Paul Waner
    Mike Williams
    Vic Willis
    Chief Wilson
    Kevin Young
    Notable Managers (with at least 300 games managed with this franchise or at least one pennant win)
    Code:
    Manager			Games		Win %	WS Titles	Pennants	Div Titles	Wild Cards
    Hugo Bezdek		356		.470
    Al Buckenberger		336		.565
    Donie Bush		427		.580			1
    Fred Clarke		2427		.595	1		4
    Jewel Ens		344		.513
    Frankie Frisch		1085		.505
    George Gibson		733		.549
    Fred Haney		462		.353
    Gene Lamont		647		.457
    Jim Leyland		1716		.496					3
    Lloyd McClendon		782		.430
    Bill McKechnie		707		.583	1
    Billy Meyer		774		.412
    Danny Murtaugh		2068		.540	2		5		4
    Horace Phillips		621		.482
    John Russell		485		.384
    Larry Shepard		320		.514
    Chuck Tanner		1398		.509	1		1		1
    Jim Tracy		324		.417
    Pie Traynor		868		.530
    Bill Virdon		291		.560			1		1
    Harry Walker		409		.549
    Last edited by jalbright; 03-10-2012, 06:32 AM.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

My ballot

Bobby Bonilla
    Doug Drabek
    Bob Elliott
    Elbie Fletcher
    Pud Galvin
    Richie Hebner
    Jason Kendall
    Ray Kremer
    Ed Morris
    Manny Sanguillen
    Mike Smith
    Jesse Tannehill
    Bob Veale
    Lloyd Waner
    Vic Willis
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Players:

Bobby Bonilla

Bob Elliott

Elbie Fletcher

Richie Hebner

Jason Kendall

Ray Kremer

Ed Morris

Manny Sanguillen

Mike Smith

Jesse Tannehill

Bob Veale

Lioyd Waner

Comment

Hard to believe, and dismaying, that Bob Prince wasn't elected as a contributor- and now can't be. It's clear to me that a fair number voting here have no real understanding of Pirates history from the 1950s- 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
          Hard to believe, and dismaying, that Bob Prince wasn't elected as a contributor- and now can't be. It's clear to me that a fair number voting here have no real understanding of Pirates history from the 1950s- 1970s.
          Prince and Tanner were elected last round. It's just an issue of not updating the list at the beginning of this thread. Even those not elected in these regular rounds will have a second chance round, which only requires an argument for him--which is fairly easy for contributors.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
            Prince and Tanner were elected last round. It's just an issue of not updating the list at the beginning of this thread. Even those not elected in these regular rounds will have a second chance round, which only requires an argument for him--which is fairly easy for contributors.
            Oops- thanks. I thought I'd seen a few weeks ago that he had enoug votes, but didn't look it up again.

Comment

Players
              Bob Elliott
              Elbie Fletcher
              George Grantham
              Richie Hebner
              Jason Kendall
              Ray Kremer
              Ed Morris
              Rick Rhoden
              Claude Ritchey
              Manny Sanguillen
              Rip Sewell
              Mike Smith
              Jesse Tannehill
              Bob Veale
              Lloyd Waner
              *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

The case for Jason Kendall:

BigRon made this post about Jason Kendall with the Pirates:
                I voted for Pena, but I believe he was third among Kendall, Sanguillen, and himself AS PIRATES. All 3 had similar OPS+ as Pirates (Kendall was highest), but Kendall and Sanguillen both played well over 50% more games as Pirates. Pena was a better defensive catcher than Kendall, but Kendall has 31.5 career WAR as A Pirate, Sanguillen 24.3, and Pena 19.3. Strictly as a Pirate I believe Kendall was the best of the three.
                I'll add this:
                Kendall was the third best catcher in the majors in his time with the Pirates, 1996-2004, despite the nasty injury he suffered. That's the second best in the NL in that time. Broken down to individual seasons, he was the 4th best catcher in the majors in 1997, the third best in the majors and second best in the NL in 1998 and 1999, the second best catcher in the NL in 2000, the 3d best catcher in the NL in 2003, and the best catcher in the majors in 2004.

Comment

The case for Kent Tekulve:

I put together this argument for Kent Tekulve of the Pirates:

I realized I had voted for Roy Face but not Kent Tekulve. When I compare their Pirate careers, it's tough to choose which was better. I think I should support both.:

Let's look at Roy Face and Kent Tekulve of the Pirates with my main measures:

Tekulve
                  career WAR with franchise 18.8
                  best 3 seasons of WAR with franchise 9.7
                  best 5 consecutive WAR with franchise 11.4

Face
                  career WAR with franchise 16.9
                  best 3 seasons of WAR with franchise 8.7
                  best 5 consecutive WAR with franchise 10.3

This would tilt the balance toward Tekulve. However, we can also compare Tekulve and Face with the Pirates in terms of how they performed against the relievers who were their peers. Tekulve had five rankings in the top 18, a 4th in 1978, a 5th in 1983, a 7th in 1979, a 13th in 1981, and an 18th in 1982. When we compare Face to his peer relievers, he was better than Tekulve: 2d overall in 1956 and 1962, 3d overall in 1959, 7th in 1960, 8th in 1958, 14th in 1966 and 1967, and 18th in 1957. It's a close call between them, depending on what you give the most weight to.

Comment

Gene Alley
                    Jay Bell
                    Bobby Bonilla
                    Smoky Burgess
                    Doug Drabek
                    Bob Elliott
                    Dick Groat
                    Jason Kendall
                    Ed Morris
                    Rick Reuschel
                    Rick Rhoden
                    Manny Sanguillen
                    Rip Sewell
                    Bob Veale
                    Lloyd Waner
                    Last edited by dgarza; 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not voting yet- I will soon- but I feel strongly that Face, Tekulve, Groat, and Kendall- plus a few others- belong. Face was one of the game changers in the 50s- really the guy who presaged the current era of closers. Tekulve also was really good- very much like Quisenberry- maybe slightly less effective, but not much- and for many years. Groat was an all star caliber player for a decade, most with the Pirates, and then with the Cards. Kendall, as I have said, is the best overall catcher in Pirates history. He had somee throwing problems nd he didn't hit for power, but overall he created more value than any other Pirates receiver.

Comment

Face was elected last round, Ron.
                        *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                          Face was elected last round, Ron.
                          Thanks. I hadn't looked at the elected list in a while. I was going off of jim's comments about Face and Tekulve.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                            Thanks. I hadn't looked at the elected list in a while. I was going off of jim's comments about Face and Tekulve.
                            A big part of the reason I used Face was that he has been elected, and rightly so, IMHO. However, I feel Tekulve is very much in the same class, and they should be receive the same treatment.

Comment

Bobby Bonilla
                              Smoky Burgess
                              Doug Drabek
                              Bob Elliott
                              Pud Galvin
                              Dick Groat
                              Jason Kendall
                              Ed Morris
                              Manny Sanguillen
                              Rip Sewell
                              Jesse Tannehill
                              Lloyd Waner
                              Last edited by jjpm74; 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Lloyd Waner when posting ballot.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X