Heath Bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heath Bell

Heath Bell has pitched in the big leagues for 8 years, going 28-24 with 134 saves and a 3.06 ERA in 435 games. An All-Star each of the past three seasons, Bell finished eighth in Cy Young voting and 25th in MVP voting in 2010 after saving 47 games and posting a 1.93 ERA. He has averaged 44 saves, while posting a 2.36 ERA and 157 ERA+, each year since 2009.

Bell led the league in saves in 2009, is 16th among active closers and is 85th all-time. He also 24th in games finished among active pitchers.

Statistically, he is similar to JJ Putz, Huston Street, Jonathan Broxton, Rob Dibble, Matt Capps, Wayne Granger, Greg McMichael, Rawly Eastwick, Cecil Upshaw and Chad Cordero.

Here are his career projections, according to Bill James' Favorite Toy:

55-39 W-L
    770 G
    501 GF
    353 SV
    826 IP
    686 H
    42 HR
    285 BB
    877 K

According to the Fan EloRater, Bell is ranked #539, ahead of Britt Burns, Rich Harden and Danny MacFayden, but behind Steve Barber, John Burkett and Jim Slaton.

So, what do you think about Heath Bell? When he retires, will he be a Hall of Famer? Does he have Hall of Fame potential? Did he ever have Hall of Fame potential?
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    96.43%
    Maybe
    0.00%
    Not a Hall of Famer, but he has Hall of Fame potential
    3.57%

If you're not Mariano (or I guess Hoffman) it's going to be a hard sell to get in as a one-inning closer.

Comment

He'll make it to the Hall, but he'll have to pay admission like the rest of us.

Comment

I would maybe put a 1 inning guy like Billy Wagner in but deff not Heath Bell.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

HEATH BELL?????

hahahahaha

Comment

Hey man, he was a three-time All-Star who had 153 saves and a 2.53 ERA from 2007 to 2011...no one could have predicted his bodacious decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
              Hey man, he was a three-time All-Star who had 153 saves and a 2.53 ERA from 2007 to 2011...no one could have predicted his bodacious decline.
              Actually, a lot of people did. Quite easily. He's no spring chicken and his K rate dropped like a rock from a career-high 11.3 to a career low 7.3 last year. He's regressed to how poor he was as a Mets pitcher.

Bell appears to be finished as a closer, as that is the only way for him to get into the Hall. He had a nice three-year run with the Padres, but that's all.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

no. from the relivers of the last decade only mariano and maybe hoffman deserve it. WAR says hoffman doesn't deserve it but he might get the nod just for counting numbers. the others don't really deserve.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Jeez, who's next among relievers to get their own threads? Doug Jones? Todd Jones? Mike Henneman?

Comment

Why doesn't Billy Wagner ever get consideration? He had alot of great years. I would think Billy Wagner was better than Trevor Hoffman. I would have rather had him over Hoffman.
                    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                      Jeez, who's next among relievers to get their own threads? Doug Jones? Todd Jones? Mike Henneman?
                      Todd Jones already had one, IIRC. I had to look him up to remember who he was.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                        Todd Jones and Doug Jones already have their own threads.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how he finishes. I wonder how much longer teams are going to give him the ball in the ninth inning, or at all. He had a 4.11 ERA and 15 saves in 2013, so how he starts 2014 will make or break his future I think.

Comment

Eric Gagne is the 2nd most comparable reliever to Heath Bell. These two (2) guys illustrate the difference between having HOF potential and not having HOF potential.

Gagne was a lights-out reliever who was great from the start. He won a Cy Young Award in a year where there was no clear-cut starter who deserved the award, and did well in CYA voting for 3 straight years. Gagne hurt his arm in 2005 and was never the same pitcher again, but had he not gotten hurt, he would have had the kind of career that would put him in the HOF discussion. He would have been compared to Bruce Sutter, and while Sutter isn't my idea of a HOFer, the comparison would be apt.

Heath Bell, on the other hand, was a late bloomer, who never had the kind of run Gagne had. He established himself late, had a shorter peak, and while he hasn't had the kind of injury Gagne had, he's not likely to do the kind of things needed to be viewed as historically significant. He took too long to become a closer, let alone a star, and, for that reason, he really never had HOF potential.
                            "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Here's another case of, "what happened to the guy?"

2009-2011: 2.36 ERA, 157 ERA+, 132 saves

2012-2014: 4.91 ERA, 81 ERA+, 34 saves

His sudden decline after three great years took me by surprise, at least.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X