X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Ron Santo comes to mind. Nellie Fox too.
    Fox had been dead 22 years by that point, I don't think it was pity at that point. For Ron Santo, it may have been intentional to wait until he died from a few voters as Santo was widely disliked for his incessant self campaigning and for his showing people up when he played.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar View Post

A tribute video on MLB.com narrated by Richard Justice (iirc) did not give a cause of death, but did mention that his health had been failing for some time.

One can't avoid speculating about COVID-19 in this environment, but if that were it, I'm not sure why they wouldn't say so.

Coincidentally, Curly Neal, the famed ballhandler with the shaved head for the Harlem Globetrotters in the 1960s through the 1980s, died the same day, also in Houston (or a suburb therein; the obit says he passed at home, but didn't say precisely where that was). He was 77.

At least I hope like heck it was a coincidence, and that two sports icons weren't at a recent event together in Houston where they caught the same bug.

Scary times.
    If it was, they'd shout it from the rooftops. Former NFL QB Bobby Hebert's father just passed away and it was blamed on CV.

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar View Post

A tribute video on MLB.com narrated by Richard Justice (iirc) did not give a cause of death, but did mention that his health had been failing for some time.

One can't avoid speculating about COVID-19 in this environment, but if that were it, I'm not sure why they wouldn't say so.

Coincidentally, Curly Neal, the famed ballhandler with the shaved head for the Harlem Globetrotters in the 1960s through the 1980s, died the same day, also in Houston (or a suburb therein; the obit says he passed at home, but didn't say precisely where that was). He was 77.

At least I hope like heck it was a coincidence, and that two sports icons weren't at a recent event together in Houston where they caught the same bug.

Scary times.
    With Curly Neal, I did hear it specifically reported his cause of death was not related to covid. That said, it is an unsettling situation at best.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    I hope not, because that would be a true insult. You're only good enough because you died? No, I hope they stick to their guns. An honest "no" vote to me is better than a "pity" vote.
    Ron Santo comes to mind. Nellie Fox too.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Now they'll probably vote him in.
    It's their classic move. Like Frank Costanza stopping short.

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Prayers for him and his loved ones.

I hope not, because that would be a true insult. You're only good enough because you died? No, I hope they stick to their guns. An honest "no" vote to me is better than a "pity" vote.

Note this excluded my personal opinions of him. Pity votes, whether I like a player or not, should be rejected in all cases. Either a player deserves to be voted in or not; sadness for his death should not be a reason to be elected.

Leave a comment:

• Cougar
    replied
    Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    Hell yes. Seventy-eight seems "young" to me. I've been unable to discover a cause of death. Do any of you know what caused his passing?

Scary times.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Didn't know Wynn spent a year in Atlanta. I see he spent half a year with the Yankees the next year, his last. That '77 Yankee team looks like the prototype for Steinbrenner ball. Acquiring everyone who ever won player of the week or was the feature highlight when he was watching TV.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

He may not be a Hall of Famer (he hovers around the borderline for me and I'm a Big Hall guy), but he's better than people give him credit for.
    Co-sign

0efbd0a5d9189c32a1d90929e053afe5.jpg

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Thank you PV, a HOF for me, 1 of 17 voters from.the Single Ballot HOF.

Anyone else support the Toy Cannon?
    I would put him in!

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied

Hell yes. Seventy-eight seems "young" to me. I've been unable to discover a cause of death. Do any of you know what caused his passing?

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied

He may not be a Hall of Famer (he hovers around the borderline for me and I'm a Big Hall guy), but he's better than people give him credit for.

Leave a comment:

• Jar of Flies
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    R.I.P. "Toy Cannon"

Last edited by Jar of Flies; 03-28-2020, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    R.I.P. "Toy Cannon"

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X