Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzy Bear
    replied
    A career CENTER fielder with an OWP of .651 career isn't bad at all. Wynn was also a Walk Machine. Had he been able to play until age 40 he'd have been a better HOF candidate.

That Wynn declined seriously at age 34 and went to seed completely at age 35 suggests that Wynn wasn't quite as great as he's been made out to be. Wynn's career fell apart because he could no longer put the bat on the ball, and when pitchers figured this out, they just had to throw him strikes and that was that. Drawing walks is a skill that only matters if you can hit. I could have the world's greatest eye, but since I can't hit college-level pitching, all a pitcher has to do is throw strikes and I'm out. That's not far from what happened to Wynn all at once, and that's a big reason why I can't really get excited about his HOF candidacy.

Leave a comment:

• willshad
    replied
    Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
    Yes, although Wynn is still superior. Wynn compiled a career WAR, baseball-reference version, of 53.1, compared to a 45.9 for Williams. Williams received 55 votes out of 573 ballots cast in the 2012 B.B.W.A.A. Hall of Fame election. 9.6% of the vote.
    Im actually surprised Bernie didn't do better. He did a lot of the things the voters like. he was a key player on a semi dynasty. He was a Yankee. he hit for good average. he drove in runs. he played center. Maybe his early and abrupt decline killed his chances?

Leave a comment:

• NJRob65
    replied
    Originally posted by willshad View Post
    Is Bernie Williams eligible yet?

Yes, although Wynn is still superior. Wynn compiled a career WAR, baseball-reference version, of 53.1, compared to a 45.9 for Williams. Williams received 55 votes out of 573 ballots cast in the 2012 B.B.W.A.A. Hall of Fame election. 9.6% of the vote.
    Last edited by NJRob65; 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• willshad
    replied
    Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
    Wynn's best argument is that he is the best eligible MLB center fielder not in the Hall, although he will probably be passed by Kenny Lofton in the next election. But as things currently stand, he is the best. I have no doubt of that.
    Is Bernie Williams eligible yet?

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by TomBodet View Post
    I completely agree with Noted_Sage F. B'ar. Wynn is Reggie Smith or Bobby Allison level, nothing more. A power hitting OF from 40 yrs back needed to do more than be Ron Gant Sr(yes I know Toy Cannon is better. Relax) to get in. He was hurt by his environment but so were Cedeno, Lee May and Bob Watson. Pretty walk totals aside, he just doesnt stand out, and like it or not, that is a must for him to be considered.
    Bah! I still have my 100 count of the Ron Gant 1988 Fleer rookie cards because I just knew was going to be a superstar!

Leave a comment:

• TomBodet
    replied
    I completely agree with Noted_Sage F. B'ar. Wynn is Reggie Smith or Bobby Allison level, nothing more. A power hitting OF from 40 yrs back needed to do more than be Ron Gant Sr(yes I know Toy Cannon is better. Relax) to get in. He was hurt by his environment but so were Cedeno, Lee May and Bob Watson. Pretty walk totals aside, he just doesnt stand out, and like it or not, that is a must for him to be considered.

Leave a comment:

• AstrosFan
    replied
    Wynn's best argument is that he is the best eligible MLB center fielder not in the Hall, although he will probably be passed by Kenny Lofton in the next election. But as things currently stand, he is the best. I have no doubt of that.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    WOW what a fabulous site! thanks for all the gereat anaysis on Wynn. you guys rock

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    This might interest you:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...for-Jimmy-Wynn

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    Playing all those home games in the Astrodome didn't help him any. For example, while that was his home park he hit 93 HR there and 121 on the road.

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    Really good for his time, but not for "all time".

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Jim Wynn

I've heard Jim Wynn mentioned as a possible HOFer. I just don't buy it. .250/.366/.436 291 hrs 964 rbi

Somebody convince me

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Bear
    replied
    I realize this, those are his ROAD rate stats I mentioned. Those stas aren't close to what the top hitters in the league were putting up at the time, so you cant really blame the stadium OR the era. I can see him maybe having a case if he was a catcher or shortstop, or all time great in the field, or maybe if he had a really long career with great career counting stats. But none of these are the case, so i dont feel he is close at all to being a hall of famer.
    Wynn leads Rice in Offensive Winning Percentage .651 to .627.

Neither of these marks constitutes a no-questions-asked HOFer, even for a career center fielder. But Wynn WAS the greater offensive player, albeit not by much.

Leave a comment:

• willshad
    replied
    Originally posted by yanks0714 View Post
    1987 might have been a bad offenisve year. However, Jimmy Wynn played the brunt of his prime career in the worst offensive era since the deadball era....in the worst ballpark for hitters!
    Wynn also had a very poor end of career which dragged his numbers down considerably.
    I realize this, those are his ROAD rate stats I mentioned. Those stas aren't close to what the top hitters in the league were putting up at the time, so you cant really blame the stadium OR the era. I can see him maybe having a case if he was a catcher or shortstop, or all time great in the field, or maybe if he had a really long career with great career counting stats. But none of these are the case, so i dont feel he is close at all to being a hall of famer.

Leave a comment:

• yanks0714
    replied
    The way I see it, Rice's road stats are still better than Wynn's road stats, and he played in the 1970s and early 80s, which was still a very bad offensive era. In fact his career ended just as the offensive explosion of 1987 took place. Considering he played longer, and put up vastly better home stats than Wynn, i think he has a better case. If Wynn had Rice-in-Fenway type stats on the road then id see your point..but he just doesnt. .245 .355 and .429(Wynn's road rates) in a short career arent hall of fame numbers in ANY era..and his counting stats are even worse than his rate stats. If he was historically great in the field or stole 1000 bases he may have a borderline case.
    1987 might have been a bad offenisve year. However, Jimmy Wynn played the brunt of his prime career in the worst offensive era since the deadball era....in the worst ballpark for hitters!
    Wynn also had a very poor end of career which dragged his numbers down considerably.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X