Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willshad View Post
    Is Bernie Williams eligible yet?

Yes, although Wynn is still superior. Wynn compiled a career WAR, baseball-reference version, of 53.1, compared to a 45.9 for Williams. Williams received 55 votes out of 573 ballots cast in the 2012 B.B.W.A.A. Hall of Fame election. 9.6% of the vote.
    Last edited by NJRob65; 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
      Yes, although Wynn is still superior. Wynn compiled a career WAR, baseball-reference version, of 53.1, compared to a 45.9 for Williams. Williams received 55 votes out of 573 ballots cast in the 2012 B.B.W.A.A. Hall of Fame election. 9.6% of the vote.
      Im actually surprised Bernie didn't do better. He did a lot of the things the voters like. he was a key player on a semi dynasty. He was a Yankee. he hit for good average. he drove in runs. he played center. Maybe his early and abrupt decline killed his chances?

Comment

A career CENTER fielder with an OWP of .651 career isn't bad at all. Wynn was also a Walk Machine. Had he been able to play until age 40 he'd have been a better HOF candidate.

That Wynn declined seriously at age 34 and went to seed completely at age 35 suggests that Wynn wasn't quite as great as he's been made out to be. Wynn's career fell apart because he could no longer put the bat on the ball, and when pitchers figured this out, they just had to throw him strikes and that was that. Drawing walks is a skill that only matters if you can hit. I could have the world's greatest eye, but since I can't hit college-level pitching, all a pitcher has to do is throw strikes and I'm out. That's not far from what happened to Wynn all at once, and that's a big reason why I can't really get excited about his HOF candidacy.
        "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

R.I.P. "Toy Cannon"

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
            R.I.P. "Toy Cannon"
            Thank you PV, a HOF for me, 1 of 17 voters from.the Single Ballot HOF.

Anyone else support the Toy Cannon?
            Last edited by Jar of Flies; 03-28-2020, 07:33 AM.
            Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
            http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

He may not be a Hall of Famer (he hovers around the borderline for me and I'm a Big Hall guy), but he's better than people give him credit for.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Hell yes. Seventy-eight seems "young" to me. I've been unable to discover a cause of death. Do any of you know what caused his passing?
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I would put him in!

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

He may not be a Hall of Famer (he hovers around the borderline for me and I'm a Big Hall guy), but he's better than people give him credit for.
                    Co-sign

0efbd0a5d9189c32a1d90929e053afe5.jpg
                    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

Comment

Didn't know Wynn spent a year in Atlanta. I see he spent half a year with the Yankees the next year, his last. That '77 Yankee team looks like the prototype for Steinbrenner ball. Acquiring everyone who ever won player of the week or was the feature highlight when he was watching TV.
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Now they'll probably vote him in.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                          Hell yes. Seventy-eight seems "young" to me. I've been unable to discover a cause of death. Do any of you know what caused his passing?
                          A tribute video on MLB.com narrated by Richard Justice (iirc) did not give a cause of death, but did mention that his health had been failing for some time.

One can't avoid speculating about COVID-19 in this environment, but if that were it, I'm not sure why they wouldn't say so.

Coincidentally, Curly Neal, the famed ballhandler with the shaved head for the Harlem Globetrotters in the 1960s through the 1980s, died the same day, also in Houston (or a suburb therein; the obit says he passed at home, but didn't say precisely where that was). He was 77.

At least I hope like heck it was a coincidence, and that two sports icons weren't at a recent event together in Houston where they caught the same bug.

Scary times.

Comment

Prayers for him and his loved ones.

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                            I hope not, because that would be a true insult. You're only good enough because you died? No, I hope they stick to their guns. An honest "no" vote to me is better than a "pity" vote.

Note this excluded my personal opinions of him. Pity votes, whether I like a player or not, should be rejected in all cases. Either a player deserves to be voted in or not; sadness for his death should not be a reason to be elected.
                            R.I.P. Farmio
                            Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                              It's their classic move. Like Frank Costanza stopping short.
                              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                                I hope not, because that would be a true insult. You're only good enough because you died? No, I hope they stick to their guns. An honest "no" vote to me is better than a "pity" vote.
                                Ron Santo comes to mind. Nellie Fox too.

They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X