Jimmy Wynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    Right off the bat, you've got a guy with a .366 career OBP who hit practically 300 HR and 1,000 RBI in a pitcher's park in the 1960s. He was a good fielding center fielder and a three-time All-Star who was mostly overlooked by the national press until he moved to the Dodgers later in his career (whence two of his All-Star appearances came).

Wynn put up a 129 OPS+ in more than 8,000 PA. Here'a a list of all the outfielders with a 125 OPS+ in at least 8,000 PA who have not been elected to Cooperstown:

182 Barry Bonds
    154 Manny Ramirez
    140 Gary Sheffield
    139 Bob Johnson
    137 Jack Clark
    137 Reggie Smith
    137 Sherry Magee
    132 Jose Canseco
    132 Ken Singleton
    129 Bobby Bonds
    129 Jimmy Wynn
    128 Bobby Abreu
    128 Sammy Sosa
    127 Dwight Evans
    126 Ellis Burks
    125 Bernie Williams

You and I see eye-to-eye on PED suspects so I'll just point out that people who refuse to consider those players ought to find this list even more impressive for Wynn (he moves up from 11th to 7th).

Take note that none of the players with a better Adjusted OPS were center fielders for most of their career. And would you place more value on a pre-WWII hitter (Johnson, Magee) or someone who played within your lifetime? Not only was Wynn a better fielder than most of these (with a few notable exceptions), but he was also a better baserunner than half of them, too.

Also, don't mistake my posting this list to suggest that Wynn shouldn't be enshrined because these guys aren't - many of their careers also merit election to Cooperstown.

Without using any uber-metrics, I hope that I've illustrated that Wynn (a) has a better case for Cooperstown than you might have remembered, and (b) is squarely among the sorts of players shown on the above list, not as good as some, but better than a good number, too.

Whether that places him in Cooperstown or not depends on where you think Cooperstown does/should draw the in/out line. IMO, that line falls below James Sherman Wynn.
    Was he a good fielding center fielder, though?

I'm not asking rhetorically...I have heard/read opinions on Wynn's fielding that are kind of all over the map. He was before my time, and I haven't seen much film or anything. The defensive stats on Baseball-Reference, generally what I go by, seem to indicate he was an average, if not a below average fielder.

NB: I'm not disputing your larger point.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post

Was he a good fielding center fielder, though?

I'm not asking rhetorically...I have heard/read opinions on Wynn's fielding that are kind of all over the map. He was before my time, and I haven't seen much film or anything. The defensive stats on Baseball-Reference, generally what I go by, seem to indicate he was an average, if not a below average fielder.

NB: I'm not disputing your larger point.
      Looking at BR, BG, TT, BP, Wynn comes out to average in center for his career, above average in his prime.
      Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
      http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Looking at BR, BG, TT, BP, Wynn comes out to average in center for his career, above average in his prime.
        Think of it like a letter grade. A = great, B = good, C = average, D = poor, F = fail. He was a solid B, maybe a B+ in his prime. (I'm a big peak/prime guy.) Like most all fielders (of any quality), he declined significantly in his latter years. So yes, I don't think calling him a good defender in center is a stretch. Also keep in mind that - all else being equal - even an average fielder in CF is worth at least as much as a good defender in the corners.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X