Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Hall of Famers are They Better Than?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hall of Famers are They Better Than?

We all have our list of players we think should be in the Hall. How good are they compared to other Hall of Famers? It may be easiest to compare them to other Hall of Famers at the same position before looking at the Hall as a whole. I'll give an idea. I think Bobby Grich was better than Red Schoendienst, Bid McPhee, Bill Mazeroski, Tony Lazzeri, Billy Herman, Joe Gordon, Nellie Fox, and Bobby Doerr. I'm leaving Frank Grant out of consideration, since I don't know much about him. That places Grich 10th out of 18 MLB Hall of Fame second basemen, so middle of the pack. Gordon is the only one I could place ahead of Grich, but 11th out of 18 at worst says definite Hall of Famer to me.
    "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

I always enjoy your threads, AF. Always stuff that gets my baseball gears going. I'll list a few:

Lou Whitaker- (Everyone you mentioned and Johnny Evers)
    Bill Dahlen- Wallace, O. Smith, Tinker, T. Jackson (maybe)
    Dick Allen- Kell, Lindstrom, J. Collins
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
      That places Grich 10th out of 18 MLB Hall of Fame second basemen, .
      That's about were I place Ross Barnes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
        I always enjoy your threads, AF. Always stuff that gets my baseball gears going. I'll list a few:

Lou Whitaker- (Everyone you mentioned and Johnny Evers)
        Bill Dahlen- Wallace, O. Smith, Tinker, T. Jackson (maybe)
        Dick Allen- Kell, Lindstrom, J. Collins
        And Johnny Evers for me too. I missed him. Grich and Whitaker are about dead even for me, but if I'm forced to choose, I go Grich. And please tell me you don't actually think Dahlen is maybe better than Travis Jackson. He's easily better.

Surprised you compared Allen to third basemen. Most people stick him at first.
        "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Hmm. Well I would have Allen over Tony Perez who also played 3B and 1B. If only he weren't such an atrocious defender. Allen reminds me of Harmon Killebrew with a shorter career. As such, I've got Allen at about the same level as Frank Baker (shorter career, worse bat, better defense) and Willie McCovey (longer career but still a bad defender and never played 3B). You can extrapolate from there that I'm pretty high on the guy; maybe too high considering his surly attitude.

Allen, Dahlen, Grich, and Whitaker are the four position players eligible for Veteran's Committee election (or soon will be) that I have as better than or equal to roughly half the players in Cooperstown (Ex: Ron Santo, Ozzie Smith, Zach Wheat).

Wally Berger, Ken Boyer, Jack Glasscock, Dwight Evans, Bill Freehan, George Gore, Heinie Groh, Stan Hack, Keith Hernandez, Paul Hines, Sherry Magee, Minnie Minoso, Graig Nettles, Ted Simmons, Reggie Smith, Harry Stovey, Joe Torre and Jimmy Wynn I have as better than roughly a quarter of the players in Cooperstown (Ex. Jake Beckley, Lou Brock, Hughie Jennings).

There's a big wad of players I have as around the same or just below the 25th percentile, which would place them ahead of say Harry Hooper and Red Schoendienst.

The bottom three position players on my list (George Kelly, Tommy McCarthy and Lloyd Waner) wouldn't even make my top 500 so, it's pretty much a given that "candidate X" would be better in my book.
          Last edited by J W; 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM.
          http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Robin Ventura was better than Ron Santo.

Larry Walker was better than Andre Dawson.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
              Robin Ventura was better than Ron Santo.
              Interesting. Not an opinion I often see.

Larry Walker was better than Andre Dawson.
              And Ross Youngs, Sam Thompson, Enos Slaughter, Sam Rice, Tommy McCarthy, Willie Keeler, Chuck Klein, Harry Hooper, Elmer Flick, Kiki Cuyler, King Kelly (Bill Burgess will hate me for that), Harry Heilmann, and Dave Winfield.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
                Dave Winfield.
                At first, I thought you were saying that Robin Ventura was better than Dave Winfield and was intrigued as I had never heard anyone put Ventura on that much of a pedestal. Then I noticed it was Larry Walker and was in agreement. It pays to read and not skim sometimes. :o

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X