Roger Clemens HOF chances now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Clemens HOF chances now

Does being acquitted help him get into the HOF? Perhaps sooner? Or does it not make a difference?
    He will get in first ballot
    6.38%
    He will eventually get in, but it will take a long time
    74.47%
    He will never get in
    19.15%

He's better off, at least a little, than if he had been convicted. However, at least for the immediate future, he's been more damaged by the increased exposure provided by the trials.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

It helps him a lot, but he won't get in first ballot.

The public has already associated his name with steroids, and that may follow him forever.

Perhaps over time, people will give him a break.

People have eased up on Alex Rodriguez, who they know used PEDs; why can't they do that with Clemens?

At least he has a fighting chance at getting into Cooperstown now. Good for him.

Comment

I voted that he will get in at some point, but not on the first ballot. I think in the court of public opinion (and sports writers), which has a MUCH lower burden of proof than criminal court, he is guilty to at least some degree. Even though Bonds was acquitted on the "injection" charges, there are similar doubts of his innocense. Heck, there's probably even one or two stubborn folks out there that have doubts about OJ even though he was acquitted....

Comment

The verdict helps more than it hurts. I don't think it's enough though. The majority of today's writers won't elect him, but who knows what it will be like 10 years from now?
          "It's better to look good, than be good."

Comment

I voted he will eventually get in, but it will take a long time. I hope he waits as long as Ron Santo did.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              I voted he will eventually get in, but it will take a long time. I hope he waits as long as Ron Santo did.
              Maybe he'll wait as long as Shoeless Joe Jackson did....or is still waiting. He was acquitted as well, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by CTaka View Post
                Maybe he'll wait as long as Shoeless Joe Jackson did....or is still waiting. He was acquitted as well, correct?
                Yes, he was. For all the good it did him.

A good point that I've seen a few other people make.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
                  People have eased up on Alex Rodriguez, who they know used PEDs; why can't they do that with Clemens?
                  That's an easy one. A-Rod stopped denying it and admitted it. Clemens is still lying and denying it. Let's see what happens in the civil trial where he has to take the stand and where the verdict does not have to be "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Comment

He was acquitted of perjury. That doesn't erase the doubt in most people's minds. The steroid issue, itself, wasn't exactly rectified.

I don't think he gets in for quite some time.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by CTaka View Post
                      Well. Joe did have an affidavit under oath which conceded he was part of the fix, and it was always clear he took money from the conspirators. As bad as juicing is, it's an attempt to win the game--Joe took money that was involved in seeing that his team intentionally lost the World Series. Juicing in criminal terms might be something like armed robbery, though it is interesting to note many of the years it was done, the baseball penalties for it were more like jaywalking fines, if that. What Jackson did, though, is like premeditated murder. I doubt Clemens makes it in year one, but his Boston years were enough to support a HOF case, and I expect in time that fact will get him in. I won't hazard a guess as to how quickly that will happen until we see some BBWAA voting numbers, though.
                      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

If the Batters are juiced and the Pitchers are juiced at a Time when Steroids werent banned..Isnt that just evening the playing field? (If he was juiced)

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                          Well. Joe did have an affidavit under oath which conceded he was part of the fix, and it was always clear he took money from the conspirators. As bad as juicing is, it's an attempt to win the game--Joe took money that was involved in seeing that his team intentionally lost the World Series. Juicing in criminal terms might be something like armed robbery, though it is interesting to note many of the years it was done, the baseball penalties for it were more like jaywalking fines, if that. What Jackson did, though, is like premeditated murder. I doubt Clemens makes it in year one, but his Boston years were enough to support a HOF case, and I expect in time that fact will get him in. I won't hazard a guess as to how quickly that will happen until we see some BBWAA voting numbers, though.
                          Bingo! Joe Jackspon was cheating to lose. BBF posters know of my relatively lax attitude towards the so-called "steroid era". I have used steroids obtained from a MD. In all of the postings done about steroids not 1 person has said that they have used them and is thus qualified to comment on their personal experience.

clemens was acquited because there is very little evidence beyond the testimony of Brian McNamee who is no better than Clemens.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
                            Bingo! Joe Jackspon was cheating to lose. BBF posters know of my relatively lax attitude towards the so-called "steroid era". I have used steroids obtained from a MD. In all of the postings done about steroids not 1 person has said that they have used them and is thus qualified to comment on their personal experience.

clemens was acquited because there is very little evidence beyond the testimony of Brian McNamee who is no better than Clemens.
                            But they knew that going in, or should have. The government uses sleazy witnesses all the time, such as the recently deceased Henry Hill. This whole case should have been dropped after the first mistrial, it just wasn't worth pursuing.
                            Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

He cannot go to the Hall of Fame, because he took steroids.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X