BBF Yankees Hall of Fame - second chance election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBF Yankees Hall of Fame - second chance election

This will be one of two second chance round elections begun this week. What we'll do for the second chance election is a Yes/No vote requiring the greater of 6 or 75% of the votes to induct. The election will be limited to the listed nominees. The elections will only be open for a week--but there will be at least three or four days for discussion and new nominations. You can abstain from an entire ballot (player or contributor), but if you vote in that portion of the ballot, only the guys you expressly vote yes for get credit for a positive vote. The others in that section of the ballot will be considered to have gotten a "no" vote. There will be no limits on how many nominees you can vote for . I will also provide the nomination discussions for the nominees.

In this case, the election will not begin until Saturday, June 30 at 7 am EDT, and will end at 7 am EDT July 7. Nominations close 43 hours before the election begins, or June 28 at noon EDT. Ballots not cast within the stated election time frame will not count.

The Yankees have the following already inducted:

- Inducted Players (41): Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra, Spud Chandler, Earle Combs, Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Whitey Ford, Lou Gehrig, Lefty Gomez, Joe Gordon, Goose Gossage, Ron Guidry, Rickey Henderson, Tommy Henrich, Elston Howard, Waite Hoyt, Charlie Keller,Tony Lazzeri, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Don Mattingly, Gil McDougald, Thurman Munson, Bobby Murcer, Mike Mussina, Graig Nettles, Paul O'Neill, Jorge Posada, Herb Pennock, Andy Pettite, Willie Randolph, Allie Reynolds, Phil Rizzuto, Red Rolfe, Red Ruffing, Babe Ruth, Bill Skowron, Mel Stottlemyre, Roy White, Bernie Williams, Dave Winfield

- Inducted Contributors (10): Mel Allen, Ed Barrow, Ralph Houk, Miller Huggins, Billy Martin, Joe McCarthy, Jacob Ruppert, Casey Stengel, George Steinbrenner, Joe Torre

The list of nominees at present is:

Players
    Wade Boggs
    Ben Chapman
    Jack Chesbro
    Roger Clemens
    David Cone
    Reggie Jackson
    Tony Kubek
    Sparky Lyle
    Bob Meusel
    Joe Pepitone
    Wally Pipp
    Vic Raschi
    Bobby Richardson
    Dave Righetti
    Bob Shawkey
    Snuffy Stirnweiss
    Tom Tresh
    Bub Turley

Contributors
    Red Barber
    Bob Sheppard
    George Weiss
    Last edited by jalbright; 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
    Players
    Jake Daubert
    Clem Labine
    Ron Perranoski
    Johnny Roseboro

Contributors
    Ned Hanlon
    Jaime Jarrin
    Walter O'Malley
    I think you have your Yankees and Dodgers mixed up
    Last edited by jalbright; 06-22-2012, 03:42 PM. Reason: no changes made

Comment

I made this case for George Weiss as a contributor for the Yankees:

I think that George Weiss is a serious omission by this point. Here's a case I cobbled together from some online sources:

In 1932, at 37, George Weiss was hired by the Yankees to create a farm system, which had been pioneered by the St. Louis Cardinals and was the linchpin of the Cardinals' dominance of the Senior Circuit. Weiss grew the Yankee system from four farm teams in 1931 to 16 by 1939 and 20 by 1947. The Yankee farm system churned out many of the players who would lead the Bronx Bombers to their four consecutive (1936–39) World Series titles in the 1930s, their five straight titles (1949–53), and their six other championship clubs sprinkled throughout the rest of the 1940s and 1950s. Thus in total, the team won 19 American League pennants and 15 World Series Championships with his involvement.

In October 1947, just after the 1947 World Series championship, Weiss was promoted to general manager of the Yankees. Weiss led the Yankees to 10 AL pennants and seven world titles in 13 seasons.

He was named The Sporting News' Major League Executive of the Year in 1950, 1951, 1952, and 1960.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I had caught it, but thanks for making sure I did.

Originally posted by dgarza View Post

I think you have your Yankees and Dodgers mixed up

Comment

We've had this presented for Bob Meusel:

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
          The case for Bob Meusel:

Bob Meusel played 10 years for the NY Yankees and often gets overshadowed because of who he played with (Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig). While with the Yankees, Meusel was an MVP candidate 3 times, and had an explosive year in 1928 when he led the league in games, home runs and RBIs. His best 3 WAR with the Yankees was 4.2, 3.7, 3.3. He also accumulated 107 Gray ink in his career, 99% of which came as a Yankee. Meusel is not a HOFer, but he is definitely worthy of the Yankees HOF.
          Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
          According to www.baseball-reference.com he [ed.: Meusel] had 23.9 career WAR, 24.4 with the Yankees.
          Meusel is a tough case for me. When I add up his peaks and career with the Yankees, he's a tiny bit short. I ran his season by season WAR against other corner OF of his day, and he never finished higher than 7th, and only once that high. IOW, he was never All-Star quality. That makes it really hard for me to support him. I won't if I'm not in the position of blocking his induction. If I'm in that position, I'll have a dilemma on my hands.

Comment

I'm going to add a case for Bob Shawkey. He has reached 50% in the voting, so he doesn't need a second to make the second chance round.

In his time with the Yankees, Shawkey:

was in the top 10 among pitching WAR five times (three of them third place finishes);
            was in the top 10 in ERA three times;
            was in the top 10 in wins six times;
            was in the top 10 in won/lost percentage six times;
            was in the top 10 in WHIP six times;
            was in the top ten in K/ 9 IP seven times;
            was in the top 10 in IP four times;
            was in the top 10 in strikeouts seven times; and
            was in the top 10 in K /BB ratio 8 times.

Yeah, he had good taste in teammates, but he did a lot to help himself, too.

Comment

These are pretty much what is left for this organization in terms of position players. I am not nominating any of them, so please don't add them to the list, and I will not be voting for any of them, but if anyone wants to cut and past and second any of them, be my guest.

Wally Schang:

5 years with the team
              Factored into MVP voting 2 of those 5 years
              The best catcher of his era.
              105 OPS+
              9.6 WAR with the team
              1 year over 3.0 WAR

Wally Pipp:

25.8 WAR with the organization
              Best known for getting sick and Gehrig taking over and starting his consecutive games played streak.

Clete Boyer:

Excellent defensive player

1068 Games

18.1 WAR
              15.4 dWAR

Frank Crosetti:

21.3 WAR with the organization
              17 years with the team
              2 time all star

Willie Keeler:

7 years with the organization
              10.2 WAR
              974 hits
              111 OPS+

Tony Kubek:

1957 ROY
              3 time All-Star
              16.7 WAR

Roger Peckinpaugh:

5 3.0+ WAR seasons with the organization
              Great definsive player
              probably the strongest non pitcher left not named Bob Meusel

Bobby Richardson:

5 time All-Star
              5 time gold glove winner
              Runner up in the 1962 MVP Award
              Last edited by jjpm74; 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I guess Reggie Jackson was not elected as I don't see his name in the first post.

I formally nominate Reggie Jackson:

Mr. October
                148 OPS+
                5 All-Star Selections in 5 years with the team
                1 Silver Slugger
                Factored into the MVP voting 4 of 5 years with the team.
                15.9 WAR with the organization
                8.1 WAA
                19.0 oWAR

Comment

Reggie wasn't, but he'll now be under consideration.

Comment

Reggie had 4 of 8 votes in the fourth round, and he had 3 of the 5 in the fifth. There wasn't much of a push for him either time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                      Reggie had 4 of 8 votes in the fourth round, and he had 3 of the 5 in the fifth. There wasn't much of a push for him either time, though.
                      His big thing was Mr. October and that he was a polarizing player when he played in NY. I'm not surprised to see there was no big push for him.

Comment

He was only there five years, which isn't a lot for the voters in this project. I personally think his regular season performance is close but a bit short. But when you throw in his postseason play, I think it gets him over the top:

He played 34 playoff games for the Yankees, in which he hit for a .351 average, a .425 OB pct, and, because of 13 HR, a .739 sluuging percentage. He was the MVP of the 1977 World Series. If you go to just World Series games, Reggie was even more impressive. In his 15 WS games with the Yanks, he hit .468 with a .545 slugging percentage, and, because of his 8 homers, a 1.043 slugging percentage. Certainly as a Yankee, he deserved to be called "Mr. October".

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I formally nominate Reggie Jackson:

Mr. October
                          148 OPS+
                          5 All-Star Selections in 5 years with the team
                          1 Silver Slugger
                          Factored into the MVP voting 4 of 5 years with the team.
                          15.9 WAR with the organization
                          8.1 WAA
                          19.0 oWAR
                          Additionally :

1977 AL Babe Ruth Award & 1977 ML WS MVP

Comment

I nominate Wally Pipp, who was arguably the best position player in Yankees history until that guy from the Red Sox showed up:

Twice AL HR champ; 6 Top Ten appearances
                            Lead AL in triples once; 6 Top Ten appearances
                            Power/Speed Leader 1916 (3rd 1917)
                            AB/HR Leader 1917 (2nd 1916)
                            5 times Top Ten RBI
                            4 times AL 1B PO leader (second in 1B PO 4 times)
                            Twice 1B assists leader, (second three times)
                            Twice 1B range factor leader (second 3 times)
                            Eighth in MVP voting 1922, 14th in 1924
                            Last edited by westsidegrounds; 06-25-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

On Bobby Richardson, does anyone know why dWAR has him at 4.8, oWAR has him at 6.7, but WAR has him at 6.5 and WAA has him at -9.0? I'm also a little surprised to see that he has negative dWAR in 2 of his Gold Glove years. Reputation wise, he was considered one of the best defensive second basemen of his era.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X