Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jim Thome a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jim Thome a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer?

The MLB FanCave posted a picture of Thome coming into home plate after hitting his 13th walk off home run, which now puts him at #1 all-time in walk off HRs, and asked if you think Jim Thome is a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer. To my surprise, I noticed that a lot of people said no. In turn, I think a lot of people are crazy. What do you think, yes or no, and why or why not?

We don't know who he'll be on the ballot with, and that could have a real impact on his first ballot chances. I'd suspect it'll be crowded, and that won't help him. Absent any scandal, he'll make it, though.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobu Voodoo View Post
      The MLB FanCave posted a picture of Thome coming into home plate after hitting his 13th walk off home run, which now puts him at #1 all-time in walk off HRs, and asked if you think Jim Thome is a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer. To my surprise, I noticed that a lot of people said no. In turn, I think a lot of people are crazy. What do you think, yes or no, and why or why not?
      Why is that?

As good as his HR total is, he was overshadowed by many PED-users throughout his career. It's not his fault, of course; but it happened.

No MVP awards; 5 All-Star appearances in 22 seasons. That's not too overwhelming. I doubt many casual fans know he has 600+ HR.

But yes - he is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He won't get 95% of the vote, but he should get 80% on his first try.
      Last edited by redban; 06-24-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Unless Thome is somehow linked to PED's at some point, which I seriously doubt will happen, I don't see why he shouldn't be a first ballot inductee.
        I've never heard any hint of scandal about Thome, I don't think there will be a shadow of suspicion over him, as there seems to be with Bagwell and Piazza.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Barring any gambling or steroid scandals, he very likely will get in first ballot. Not to mention he's widely considered one of the most likeable players of his generation.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            I don't think there will be a shadow of suspicion over him, as there seems to be with Bagwell and Piazza.
            Which is odd, because Thome is/was a big strong guy who had his best years in his 30's. I'm not saying there should be suspicion on him, but I don't see what makes him different than Bagwell and Piazza.

Comment

Originally posted by fenrir View Post
              Which is odd, because Thome is/was a big strong guy who had his best years in his 30's. I'm not saying there should be suspicion on him, but I don't see what makes him different than Bagwell and Piazza.
              Me either. If the "eye test" attitude still persists in the latter part of this decade, Thome won't get in on the first ballot.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

There are very few players who would completely surprise me if I heard they did PED's, but Thome is one of them. I suppose anything's possible, but I have never heard anyone accuse him or even suspect him of juicing.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Thome's 7th on the All Time HRs list? Really??? He has over 600 HRs? Really?
                  I'll be honest. I had no idea. I was just checking to see how many HRs he had and was thinking to myself, "I wonder if he even has 500 HRs." Then I see he has over 600. I was taken aback.

Comment

As mentioned, when and with whom Thome's on the ballot for the first time will play a role. That said, he's spent much of his career as a DH, so that's a negative. He has a very modest BA, and that still carries some weight. He's very comparable as a hitter to Harmon Killebrew, and Killebrew didn't make it unti his fourth year. Thome MAY make it the first time around, but I think year 2-3 is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                      Thome's 7th on the All Time HRs list? Really??? He has over 600 HRs? Really?
                      I'll be honest. I had no idea. I was just checking to see how many HRs he had and was thinking to myself, "I wonder if he even has 500 HRs." Then I see he has over 600. I was taken aback.
                      That pretty much sums up how most people think of (or don't think of) Jim Thome. He is also closing in on 1700 RBIs all-time. With a little surge, he can end this year at 21st all time in RBIs (Honus Wagner is at 1733).

Big Ron, Thome's BA is .277 career. His OBP is .403. That is hardly modest. Killebrew's BA was .256 and his OBP is .376. That's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                        Big Ron, Thome's BA is .277 career. His OBP is .403. That is hardly modest. Killebrew's BA was .256 and his OBP is .376. That's not even close.
                        Look at the era context and you'll find that they're very close.

Comment

Killebrew OPS+ = 143
                          Thome OPS+ = 147

Killebrew has more accolades though.

He won an MVP, and had 5 other years with a top 5 finish. Also 6 HR titles and 11 All-Star games.

Why did he get in on his 4th try? He should have been in 1st ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
                            Killebrew OPS+ = 143
                            Thome OPS+ = 147

Killebrew has more accolades though.

He won an MVP, and had 5 other years with a top 5 finish. Also 6 HR titles and 11 All-Star games.

Why did he get in on his 4th try? He should have been in 1st ballot.
                            The answer is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                              The answer is obvious.
                              I always wondered about that too actually. Why did it take him 3 years to get in. I would think especially back then that 573 homeruns would make you an easy first balloter. Voters back then seemed to really only care about the hr-rbi-avg type of stats.
                              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X