Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowtipper
    replied
    Granderson's batting average sunk to .237, his walks decreased by ten and he stole only four bases. But, he did hit 30 more home runs, decrease his strikeout total by 21 and contributed 2.5 WAR, which is better than his 2013 and 2014 outputs combined.

He's not a future Hall of Famer, but he's a very good player.

Leave a comment:

• Jar of Flies
    replied
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle
    Interesting list, mildly surprised by A-Rod and Gehrig. Speaker and Musial are tough to pass up from the pre 60s crowd, while Schmidt, Morgan, and Henderson could be in the mix with Rodriguez from the modern era.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Players with a 20-triples season and 40-homer season:

Rogers Hornsby
    Lou Gehrig
    Willie Mays
    Curtis Granderson

Leave a comment:

• Jar of Flies
    replied
    Toast. Burnt toast.
    He's been toast in the first 17 games of the second half but was pretty good in the first half. He'll need some more 2015 type campaigns to avoid being "toast" to a HOF career.
    Another in a line of 40 + WAR high level players that are likely to fall short of the HOF line.
    He started too late to have a HOF career, unless he produced and compiled into this 40s.

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Toast. Burnt toast.

Just shows how hard it is to truly have a HOF career - so many factors to master. Besides your team using you to your best fit you have to deal with starting age, health, consistency, peaking high enough, keeping enough of your skills over time.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    Granderson added 26 home runs and 70 RBI to his ledger (as a lead-off man), as well as 91 walks (career-high) and 98 runs scored. He now has 263 home runs, 742 RBI, 141 stolen bases and 951 runs scored for his career. He eclipsed 40 career WAR this year and will likely reach 50 within the next couple seasons.

He might not be a future Hall of Famer, but he will have one heck of a solid career when all is said and done.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Bear
    replied
    Curtis Granderson will not make the HOF. He’s not a great player, he’s not really been a great player, and he’s a disjointed talent of the Juan Samuel-Alfonso Soriano line. Granderson’s a little better than both those guys to the extent that he is a decent defensive outfielder, whereas the others struggled in the field wherever they were placed, but he’s no longer a CENTER fielder, and his being regarded as a STAR, let alone a potential HOFer, depended on his remaining in CF.

Granderson had speed, and he developed improved plate discipline as he aged, but he lost the ability to hit for average to any degree. He can’t even hit .230 anymore, and even with a decline in league BA, this will not allow him to keep a RF job. He’ll soon be at the place where pitchers won’t be afraid to throw him a strike, and at that point, his plate discipline is meaningless. He doesn’t have enough power to be a GREAT right fielder, and as a CF-RF, he’s behind a slew of candidates with no real path forward. He’s way behind Jim Edmonds, he’s behind Torii Hunter, he’s really behind Brett Butler for the CF candidates. For guys who shifted to the corner, he’s behind Lance Berkman and Bobby Abreu, and that’s just for openers.

Granderson may be a guy who settles down in late career like Chili Davis did. He may concentrate on overall hitting, playing RF only, and move up in OBP. He’ll become more valuable that way, but that won’t be enough to make him a HOFer. Indeed, Brian Downing is a more credible HOF candidate than Granderson, all things considered.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    First, the pluses:

Granderson bounced back health-wise in 2014, playing in 155 games after missing 101 last year. He drew the most walks since 2011, averaged less than a strikeout per game for the first time since 2010 and whacked 27 doubles, his most since 2007.

But that's all pretty meaningless when you consider that he hit only .227/.326/.388 with 20 home runs and 66 RBI and earned $13 million to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Andruw Jones with lesser defense, plus everything is slipping (glove, double, BA, etc.) except the homers.

Scuttlebutt is that the White Sox are looking hard at him. I have a hard time seeing him doing much more than Adam Dunn - probably 30 point of BA, fewer walks, better defense. I'm hoping we don't get him, but he is a Chicago native, and Jerry Reinsdorf likes that kind of thing (see all the ex-Sox coaches). If he is on the Sox, I expect Adam Dunn level disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by jalbright View Post
    The ten lowest career batting averages among Hall of Fame position players:

1 Ray Schalk .253
    2 Harmon Killebrew .256
    3 Rabbit Maranville .258
    4 Bill Mazeroski .260
    5 Ozzie Smith .262
    6 Gary Carter .262
    7 Reggie Jackson .262
    8 Luis Aparicio .262
    9 Joe Tinker .262
    10 Mike Schmidt .267
    I don't know anything about Granderson's defense, but obviously many of these 10 guys were defensive wizards (or carried that reputation at least), and the others were big time sluggers. I don't think of Granderson as either, but I haven't watched him much over the years. I haven't seen him as a likely candidate, but I am no expert.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard Stark View Post
    A healthier Granderson might have a chance but I don't think he will age very well.
    Originally posted by White Knight View Post
    Only if he gets to 500, and I don't see that happening.
    These two posters appear to be pretty good prognosticators, as Granderson had an unhealthy 2013 and hit only .229 with six home runs in 61 games.

I don't see him building a Hall of Fame career.

Leave a comment:

• White Knight
    replied
    Only if he gets to 500, and I don't see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Even with his current injury, it is tough to say what will happen with Granderson for the remainder of his career. Granderson enters his age 32 season this year which means he is at his peak.

If Granderson signs with a team next year (he will not be on the Yankees next year; they are poised to dump a lot of age from their roster after this season), that puts him back in CF and if he can keep his power numbers up and be a .262/.341/.480 hitter for the next 6-7 years, he has a shot. If he stays a corner outfielder and/or has a rapid decline, he has no shot. I give him about a 10% chance of making the HOF at this point. That 10% hinges on the possibility of a 20 season productive career which is improbable given the post PEDs era trends in baseball regarding aging stars.

Leave a comment:

• blade1969
    replied
    I voted maybe It's too early to tell. For a while, it looked like he had a shot, but he's really regressed the past year or two, so I'm much more pessimistic about his chances as of right now.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Stark
    replied
    A healthier Granderson might have a chance but I don't think he will age very well.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X