X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankillaz
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --If Bonds and Clemens don't make the Hall then the place ceases to represent the best players of all time. I have no doubt they used steroids, but I also believe that steroid use was so prevelent in their era that steroid users will be inducted - even if unknowingly - unless an entire generation is boycotted. I'd probably pass on a borderline guy who was a confirmed user, but Bonds and Clemens clear the line twice over. Like Cougar though I find steroid discussions boring and unpleasant so this is all I'll have to say on the subject.
    --Piazza is another inner circle guy, Biggio is a no brainer, Schilling and Sosa have solid cases and Lofton at least deserves discussion (although I doubt he gets much of one on such a deep ballot and he wouldn't make my 10).
    AMEN!!! I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• John Shoemaker
    replied
    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    The HOF ceased to be relevant a while back, anyway. Obviouisly this a thread about steroids, because who can doubt Barry Bonds qualifications, based on his performance?

I also try to stay away from the steroid threads too. I just get angry at the fingerpointing, handwringing, and hypocracy. It's just a freaking kangaroo court, just like the voting will be when these hypocrites exclude Bonds from the hall. How far we have come from the lovefest of 1998.
    I completerly agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    The HOF ceased to be relevant a while back, anyway. Obviouisly this a thread about steroids, because who can doubt Barry Bonds qualifications, based on his performance?

I also try to stay away from the steroid threads too. I just get angry at the fingerpointing, handwringing, and hypocracy. It's just a freaking kangaroo court, just like the voting will be when these hypocrites exclude Bonds from the hall. How far we have come from the lovefest of 1998.
    How is it hypocrisy? The rumors were no way near as rampant as they were in 1998. It's like getting mad because someone is no longer supportive of a person even though they thought he was a nice guy "before all those murders".

Leave a comment:

• John Shoemaker
    replied
    1. Barry Bonds
    2. Sammy Sosa
    3. Roger Clemens

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --If Bonds and Clemens don't make the Hall then the place ceases to represent the best players of all time. I have no doubt they used steroids, but I also believe that steroid use was so prevelent in their era that steroid users will be inducted - even if unknowingly - unless an entire generation is boycotted. I'd probably pass on a borderline guy who was a confirmed user, but Bonds and Clemens clear the line twice over. Like Cougar though I find steroid discussions boring and unpleasant so this is all I'll have to say on the subject.
    --Piazza is another inner circle guy, Biggio is a no brainer, Schilling and Sosa have solid cases and Lofton at least deserves discussion (although I doubt he gets much of one on such a deep ballot and he wouldn't make my 10).

Last edited by JR Hart; 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Originally posted by J W View Post
    So what do you think are the chances the "Killer B"s, Biggio and Bagwell are inducted in the same year? That could be an interesting ceremony.
    I suggested that to someone a couple of days ago. Personally, I think that would be kind of cool.

Leave a comment:

• J W
    replied
    So what do you think are the chances the "Killer B"s, Biggio and Bagwell are inducted in the same year? That could be an interesting ceremony.

Leave a comment:

• Freakshow
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    The next group of HoF candidates is friggin' huge. Even the secondary players did enough to warrant at least a check. There may be more than this, but this is the best I could find.
    A recent thread relates closely to this topic:

Which New Candidates Should Be On the 2013 BBWAA Ballot?

Leave a comment:

• fenrir
    replied
    Piazza will end up like another Jeff Bagwell case. Suspicions will keep him out in his first and possibly second year, but he will eventually get in barring any steroid revelations. Biggio will get in first ballot. Schilling will have to wait some time, but he will get in. Sosa will never get in. Clemens and Bonds may get in eventually, though Clemens will probably receive slightly more support because he's not as hated as Bonds, and technically there's less "evidence" against him than there is on Barry (though I have no doubts he used steroids and HGH).

As for who I would support, if I'm not docking for steroids:

Bonds
    Clemens
    Piazza

If I'm including steroid allegations:

Piazza
    Biggio
    Schilling
    Last edited by fenrir; 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EnterSandman
    replied
    If I'm picking three, it's Bonds, Clemens, Piazza.

Other guys I'd vote in are Biggio, Schilling, Sosa.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
    What happens if (and it's a really huge "if") Chass' idea that Piazza's upcoming autobiography contains an admission of usage turns out to be true? It's set to be published after the election but before the induction ceremony. I have no reason to believe that it will contain anything of the type but the possibility is there.

If that were to happen, what would be the result? I seriously doubt that the election would be revoked in any way but there would be a massive reaction. Would it result in a that-much-harder attitude among the writers or do you think it would act as a damn breaker and that they would all just toss up their hands?

I want to know what you think would happen, rather than should.
    I hadn't heard about that, is that the same Murray Chass who tried to smear Stan Musial as a racist in his blog not long ago? If so, I take anything he says these days with a whole shaker full of salt.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar View Post
    Sorry for the implication....maybe topic is a better word than argument. You certainly weren't arguing.

I just don't find the topic fun, and if I'm not having fun what am I doing with my free time here?

I guess Hall of Fame discussions are going to be less fun when this ballot arrives in people's mailboxes.

Eh, I can always argue for Gil Hodges and Minnie Minoso...
    I'll be right there with you for those two.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    I have a related question for you guys...

What happens if (and it's a really huge "if") Chass' idea that Piazza's upcoming autobiography contains an admission of usage turns out to be true? It's set to be published after the election but before the induction ceremony. I have no reason to believe that it will contain anything of the type but the possibility is there.

If that were to happen, what would be the result? I seriously doubt that the election would be revoked in any way but there would be a massive reaction. Would it result in a that-much-harder attitude among the writers or do you think it would act as a damn breaker and that they would all just toss up their hands?

I want to know what you think would happen, rather than should.

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar View Post

Barry Bonds
    Roger Clemens
    Mike Piazza
    Craig Biggio
    Sammy Sosa
    Curt Schilling
    Kenny Lofton
    Not so sure about Schilling and Lofton, but the rest on the face of it would be dead solid first ballot types. But I would be surprised if any get in this time around. It doesn't even matter if say Biggio hasn't been implicated with PED's, everyone's suspect. It will be fascinating to see what happens in January.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X