2013 MLB Hall of Fame nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 MLB Hall of Fame nominations

The ballot was released today, with Bonds, Clemens, Sosa and Biggio leading the first-timers:

http://bbwaa.com/

First-timers:
    Sandy Alomar Jr.
    Craig Biggio
    Barry Bonds
    Jeff Cirillo
    Royce Clayton
    Roger Clemens
    Jeff Conine
    Steve Finley
    Julio Franco
    Shawn Green
    Roberto Hernandez
    Ryan Klesko
    Kenny Lofton
    Jose Mesa
    Mike Piazza
    Reggie Sanders
    Curt Schilling
    Aaron Sele
    Sammy Sosa
    Mike Stanton
    Larry Walker
    David Wells
    Rondell White
    Woody Williams

Returning to the ballot:
    Jeff Bagwell
    Edgar Martinez
    Don Mattingly
    Fred McGriff
    Mark McGwire
    Jack Morris
    Dale Murphy
    Rafael Palmeiro
    Tim Raines
    Lee Smith
    Alan Trammell
    Todd Walker
    Bernie Williams

Discuss.

Could we have dual Astros getting in this year? It would be a nice story for the fans after all the stuff they had to go thru the past year.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by George H Ruth View Post
      First-timers:
      Sandy Alomar Jr.
      Craig Biggio
      Barry Bonds
      Jeff Cirillo
      Royce Clayton
      Roger Clemens
      Jeff Conine
      Steve Finley
      Julio Franco
      Shawn Green
      Roberto Hernandez
      Ryan Klesko
      Kenny Lofton
      Jose Mesa
      Mike Piazza
      Reggie Sanders
      Curt Schilling
      Aaron Sele
      Sammy Sosa
      Mike Stanton
      Larry Walker
      David Wells
      Rondell White
      Woody Williams
      Wow, 24 newbies, the most to ever get passed through by the ballot screening committee.

And the man who isn't there...

FREE EL DUQUE!
      Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

I'm very curious to see how Kenny Lofton and Larry Walker do.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

If I had a ballot, this is how I'd go...

1st - Bonds
          2nd - Clemens
          3rd - Bagwell
          4th - Biggio
          5th - Piazza
          6th - Raines
          7th - Walker
          8th - Lofton
          9th - Schilling
          10th - Mattingly

It surely would be called out since I'm going with two known users. But, I'm thinking 40-50 years from now (when I'm long dead), people will understand the times. What I mean by that is everybody likes Tris Speaker, yet he was a known member of the KKK - separation can be a person's friend.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Bonds, Bagwell and Biggio are the most deserving there, but only one of them will get in.

Schilling probably will too, and while I admit to my distaste for the man personally, have to admit that my views on how deserving he is have evolved to the point where I wouldn't mind seeing him in. I'll probably groan a few times during his acceptance speech, though.
            Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Comment

Holy smokes, the next 3-4 classes are loaded. you are going to end up with 20 great candidates backlogged on some ballots in a few years.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                Holy smokes, the next 3-4 classes are loaded. you are going to end up with 20 great candidates backlogged on some ballots in a few years.
                Maddux next year, right?

Comment

Craig Biggio
                  Barry Bonds
                  Roger Clemens
                  Kenny Lofton
                  Mike Piazza
                  Curt Schilling
                  Larry Walker

Returning to the ballot:

Jeff Bagwell
                  Edgar Martinez
                  Fred McGriff
                  Tim Raines
                  Alan Trammell
                  Bernie Williams

somhow I would have to winnow. Maybe, I'm being childish on Palmeiro, and Sosa in not looking at then as numbers on a piece of paper, but the level jumps took them from solid starting, but not middle of the order, hitter at non-defensive positions to what they are. At any rate when I rated them straigth they didn't make top 15 or so all-time at their respective positions. McGwire is a bit better but he had a four full season career pre mid 90s.

I prefer to put in the guys already there just because they have already been waiting not out of any first ballot theory. But if I had to cut it would be: Lofton, Bernie, and maybe Schilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                    Maddux next year, right?
                    Maddux, Thomas, Glavine, Mussina, Kent in 2014
                    Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, Sheffield in 2015.

So the next three ballots will include: Biggio, Bonds, Piazza, Clemens, Schilling, Sosa, Maddux, Glavine, Kent, Mussina, F. Thomas, Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, Sheffield, Martinez, McGwire, Palmerio, Raines, Trammel, Walker, and other guys who garner at least some support, such as McGriff, Morris, Lofton, Mattingly. L. Smith, and more. Griffey in 2016.

Those candidates perceived to be borderline or marginal will have to wait a long time to get in.

Comment

Maddux, Thomas, Glavine, Mussina, Kent in 2014
                      Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, Sheffield in 2015.

So the next three ballots will include: Biggio, Bonds, Piazza, Clemens, Schilling, Sosa, Maddux, Glavine, Kent, Mussina, F. Thomas, Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, Sheffield, Martinez, McGwire, Palmerio, Raines, Trammel, Walker, and other guys who garner at least some support, such as McGriff, Morris, Lofton, Mattingly. L. Smith, and more. Griffey in 2016.

Those candidates perceived to be borderline or marginal will have to wait a long time to get in.
                      Yikes. It's like a who's who of greatness from the mid-90s thru mid-00s.

Maddux is automatic next year, so one of this year's overlooks should get in then. Following year, Unit's in but I can see arguments for the rest. Then Griffey the following year who'll get in. The way votes go, a few bottom feeders still garner votes from hometown writers or those with and issue and such. With the names on this year's list, along with the next couple of years, there should be no Cirillo-types getting votes. Nothing against Jeff, but come on. Anybody voting on those type players should lose their eligibility imo in favor of more unbiased voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                        Yikes. It's like a who's who of greatness from the mid-90s thru mid-00s.

Maddux is automatic next year, so one of this year's overlooks should get in then. Following year, Unit's in but I can see arguments for the rest. .
                        Unless Glavine and Mussina both get in first year too. I think Pedro will get 1st ballot as well.

Comment

Unless Glavine and Mussina both get in first year too. I think Pedro will get 1st ballot as well.
                          I'd vote for Pedro, but I'm not sure the voters will. IMO, his 5-year peak was as good as anybody, but he just wasn't known to the baseball community until too late. There'll be arguments why he didn't get in, and we'll likely agree with them all, but casual fans (as well as writers) remember the "yankees are my daddee" or whatever it was as well as the nationally-televised game when he was left in by Grady during the ALCS or ALDS and took the loss. Unfortunately, those instances got so much press that I think he'll end up waiting a few years to get in.

Comment

Wow, that's 8513 HRs right there! 13 guys in the 300 HR Club. A ballot record?

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                              Wow, that's 8513 HRs right there! 13 guys in the 300 HR Club. A ballot record?
                              I remember watching the game Mike Schmidt hit his 300th... was either against the Mets or Pirates - get fuzzy now. But me and my friend were talking at the time about the odds of making the HOF with 400 HRs. 500 was in the window, but back then a longshot. Now shortstops need to hit near 300 HRs to get automatic acceptance into the Hall.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X