The Really Big Hall of Fame: 1900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how I'll do the Negro Leaguers yet. I can see the positives of grouping them with the MLB guys and having them on their own, so it's still up in the air. I'll have to think about it.

In regards to the five year wait...I just thought I'd change it up a bit.
    OK. Are we going to 10 players per ballot after this election?
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Yes, after this election, barring we have a super large glut of nominees like this time, we are going to 10 players per ballot. Heck, if the lists of nominees stay this big each year (50 or more), I may have to bump it up to 15 permanently. For the time being, however, it's going to be 10 from here on out.
      Last edited by Cowtipper; 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
        Also, will there be VC elections?
        Yes, I'll start them in 50 elections (or so).

Comment

Ross Barnes
          Charlie Bennett
          John Clarkson
          Pud Galvin
          Jack Glasscock
          Paul Hines
          Tim Keefe
          King Kelly
          Charles Radbourn
          Hardy Richardson
          Al Spalding
          Harry Stovey
          Ezra Sutton
          John Ward
          Deacon White
          Last edited by DoubleX; 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Yes, after this election, barring we have a super large glut of nominees like this time, we are going to 10 players per ballot. Heck, if the lists of nominees stay this big each year (50 or more), I may have to bump it up to 15 permanently. For the time being, however, it's going to be 10 from here on out.
            If the BBWAA voting is any indication, we'll elect at most 4 or 5 players per season with a 10-player limit, but probably more like 2 or 3. The requirement to fill out one's ballot to the max may increase the number of members elected each year, but if you're looking for a really big Hall, you could increase the number of players allowed per ballot (as you did this year) and/or lower the threshold for induction to, say, 50 percent.
            Last edited by Nerdlinger; 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM.
            *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

You might want top waive the 5% rule for the first few elections, or have people list a queue to determine if certain players are left off a ballot, but someone that would get 5% on a lighter year. There are at least 20 players on this first ballot (more like 25) who I would consider HOFers.

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                If the BBWAA voting is any indication, we'll elect at most 4 or 5 players per season with a 10-player limit, but probably more like 2 or 3. The requirement to fill out one's ballot to the max may increase the number of members elected each year, but if you're looking for a really big Hall, you could increase the number of players allowed per ballot (as you did this year) and/or lower the threshold for induction to, say, 50 percent.
                Or just declare the top 5 vote getters each year HOFers.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  Or just declare the top 5 vote getters each year HOFers.
                  That's also a possibility. I think the NFL HOF works on a quota system like that. Maybe make an exception to include more if there are ties for 5th place or greater than 5 players meet or exceed the threshold for induction.

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                    Strangely enough, I was considering increasing the ballot size this year to 20 (and make it 15 in a regular year), with 20 being the required amount in years where the ballot exceeds 50 or so, and/or lowering the required percentage to about 60. Lowering it to 60% would relieve the queue quite a bit.

You might want top waive the 5% rule for the first few elections, or have people list a queue to determine if certain players are left off a ballot, but someone that would get 5% on a lighter year. There are at least 20 players on this first ballot (more like 25) who I would consider HOFers.
                    Something along those lines isn't a bad idea. There are players that are ideal for this Hall that haven't received votes yet, like Charley Jones, Tip O'Neill and Dave Orr.

Comment

I'm going to compromise with myself and others here. I'm going to raise the number of required votes to 12 in a regular election. In this election, I will up it to 18. I will lower the required election percentage to 65. And! I will allow members to post a list of up to three "Would have voted fors" in this and perhaps for a few elections into the future...that is, you would have voted for them if you had room. If any of them do not receive a vote this election, then they will be saved from falling off the ballot. If they are saved, however, that will still count as a time on the ballot, still making it so they can appear on the ballot a maximum of 15 times.

I'll give people time to update their posts. If they don't after a few days, I'll send them a private message.
                      Last edited by Cowtipper; 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Ross Barnes
                        Charlie Bennett
                        Pete Browing
                        Bob Caruthers
                        John Clarkson
                        Pud Galvin
                        Jack Glasscock
                        Paul Hines
                        Tim Keefe
                        King Kelly
                        Jim McCormick
                        Tony Mullane
                        Old Hoss Radbourn
                        Al Spalding
                        Harry Stovey
                        Monte Ward
                        Deacon White
                        George Wright

Pretty sure there are 3-4 guys on my list that I would not elect to a personal HOF.
                        Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM.
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I'm going to compromise with myself and others here. I'm going to raise the number of required votes to 12 in a regular election. In this election, I will up it to 18. I will lower the required election percentage to 65. And! I will allow members to post a list of up to three "Would have voted fors" in this and perhaps for a few elections into the future...that is, you would have voted for them if you had room. If any of them do not receive a vote this election, then they will be saved from falling off the ballot. If they are saved, however, that will still count as a time on the ballot, still making it so they can appear on the ballot a maximum of 15 times.

I'll give people time to update their posts. If they don't after a few days, I'll send them a private message.
                          You sound like you're on an infomercial.

I updated my ballot.

Comment

You might want top waive the 5% rule for the first few elections,
                            Or just dump the 5% rule altogether. If a player is worthy of being on the ballot in the first place, there's no harm in letting him ride out his 15 years on the ballot. That way you don't have to be concerned if a guy gets squeezed out by unusually strong competition.

Alternatively, since it's up to you to decide who makes the ballot, just keep the number of candidates at a constant 50 every election, while always staying open to suggestions on players you may have overlooked.

Also, I don't think I would be so quick to raise the ballot size or to lower the percentage needed for election. Since you're starting as early as 1900, the initial glut of good candidates will soon play itself out; in four or five elections we'll have enshrined those 20 players. After that happens you may need to adjust the rules as the voting will tend to become more fragmented. So wait and see.
                            Last edited by Freakshow; 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM.
                            Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                              Ross Barnes
                              Pete Browning
                              John Clarkson
                              Tim Keefe
                              King Kelly
                              Cal McVey
                              Levi Meyerle
                              Dickey Pearce
                              Old Hoss Radbourn
                              Al Spalding
                              Joe Start
                              Monte Ward
                              Deacon White
                              Harry Wright
                              George Wright

I had a hard time with 15. I always twin Gore and Hines so I let them be and gave the last spot to The Louisville Slugger over Caruthers, Bond, Glasscock and Corcoran to name a few.

Edit: My would have voted for if I had room pecking order
                              1-Glasscock 2-Hines 3-Gore
                              if there is room for more 4-Caruthers 5-Corcoran 6-Bennett 7-Bond

others but not all that if there is room would get my vote: Flint, Jones, O'Neill, Orr
                              On my spreadsheet, I added #s 1, 2 and 3 on that list to your main ballot, as I assumed those would be the three you would most likely added to your ballot (giving you 18 votes, the new limit). Is this assumption okay?

Comment

I am a Big Hall guy. I would like to be part of this.
                                What are the rules again? I got lost in all the replies.
                                Am I using a ballot, or making my own list?
                                Your Second Base Coach
                                Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X