"The Hall of Frank Howard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Hall of Frank Howard"

Back in college, my good friend Jenny Rycenga and I used to play a Hot Stove League game we called "The Hall of Frank Howard," identifying players who were one notch below the Hall of Fame, but, we said, "deserved their own hall."

Examples: If Steve Garvey is not a Hall-of-Famer - opinions will differ, as I see from a lengthy thread in this sub-forum - then he is obviously Hall of Frank Howard. Dwight Evans might actually deserve to make the HOF sabermetrically, but you know he never will, so we've got a spot reserved for him in the HOFH. Mark Grace. Jim Kaat. Jerry Koosman. Among old-timers, Indian Bob Johnson.

I'll stop there and allow members of this forum to nominate their own candidates! It's kind of a fun game.
    Last edited by Patrick Murtha; 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM.

Frank Tannana might be one.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ed Ruelbach

Comment

How about Ted Simmons? I always thought while growing up that his bat would get him in. Had some real fine seasons while with St Louis in that old spacious ballpark. I was too young to see him play, so I don't know how he was behind the plate, but he was a real fine switch hitting C for a while.
        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Most sluggers with 300-399 HRs fit here.

Roy Sievers
          Rocky Colavito
          Joe Carter
          Norm Cash
          "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
            How about Ted Simmons? I always thought while growing up that his bat would get him in. Had some real fine seasons while with St Louis in that old spacious ballpark. I was too young to see him play, so I don't know how he was behind the plate, but he was a real fine switch hitting C for a while.
            I'd day he is too far over the HOF line.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
              I'd day he is too far over the HOF line.
              I personally think the same about Frank Howard and Norm Cash, but the writers don't agree.
              "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Craig Nettles and Buddy Bell probably will never get in.

Chuck Finley?
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Elston Howard, Chuck Knoblauch, Matt Williams, Dave Concepcion, Dick Allen, Luis Gonzalez, Steve Finley, Dave Justice

Comment

Greg Luzinski
                    Jerry Koosman
                    Tug McGraw..for relievers

Comment

Glad to see that Simba support!

Gene Tenace and Keith Hernandez were two more that came to mind from that era.

Comment

Dave Kingman

Comment

Dale Murphy and Vada Pinson

Comment

Robin Ventura.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

The REAL 1987 NL MVP Jack "The Ripper" Clark! Sorry Hawk...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X