2014 BBWAA Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 BBWAA Election

So next year, the ballot is even more loaded than this year. Who would you vote for? Pretend like this is the actual BBWAA election. You may choose up to 10. Included in the poll is everyone listed here.
    Moises Alou
    0.00%
    Jeff Bagwell
    8.29%
    Armando Benitez
    0.00%
    Craig Biggio
    8.63%
    Barry Bonds
    5.41%
    Joe Borowski
    0.00%
    Sean Casey
    0.00%
    Roger Clemens
    5.41%
    Ray Durham
    0.00%
    Shawn Estes
    0.00%
    Keith Foulke
    0.00%
    Eric Gagne
    0.00%
    Tom Glavine
    8.80%
    Luis Gonzalez
    0.00%
    Geoff Jenkins
    0.00%
    Todd Jones
    0.00%
    Jeff Kent
    2.54%
    Jon Lieber
    0.00%
    Paul Lo Duca
    0.00%
    Esteban Loaiza
    0.00%
    Greg Maddux
    9.98%
    Edgar Martinez
    1.86%
    Don Mattingly
    0.34%
    Fred McGriff
    3.55%
    Mark McGwire
    1.52%
    Jack Morris
    1.86%
    Matt Morris
    0.00%
    Mike Mussina
    5.08%
    Hideo Nomo
    0.17%
    Rafael Palmeiro
    1.18%
    Mike Piazza
    8.97%
    Tim Raines
    6.60%
    Kenny Rogers
    0.00%
    Curt Schilling
    4.06%
    Richie Sexson
    0.00%
    Lee Smith
    0.34%
    J.T. Snow
    0.00%
    Sammy Sosa
    1.69%
    Shannon Stewart
    0.00%
    Frank Thomas
    8.80%
    Mike Timlin
    0.00%
    Alan Trammell
    3.55%
    Jose Vidro
    0.00%
    Larry Walker
    1.35%
    Dmitri Young
    0.00%
    Other (write in)
    0.00%
    Last edited by Nerdlinger; 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Bagwell
    Biggio
    Glavine
    Maddux
    Mussina
    Piazza
    Schilling
    Thomas
    Trammell
    Walker

Raines is my #11, Martinez #12

Wow.....this was not easy, even after I excluded Clemens, Bonds, McGuire and Sosa. If you have those on your list plus McGriff, Smith and Morris, you have to skip even more talent.

I can see that a LOT of good players are going to drop off the ballot next year.... players that would have been elected before are going to drop.
    Last edited by drstrangelove; 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM.
    "It's better to look good, than be good."

Comment

Narrowing it down to just 10 is the hard part. IMO, there are 18 Hall-worthy candidates here. I can actually see why someone might not vote for a lock like Maddux. It's tactical voting. Since he's likely to get in without my vote, I could theoretically instead vote for someone who might fall off the ballot due to low support and/or their reaching 15 years. Alternately, I could avoid voting for someone like Trammell (even though I think he's worthy) because he probably doesn't stand a chance of being elected anyway before running out of time. Tough calls. Ultimately, I went for a mix of choices, with a lower priority placed on otherwise worthy confirmed roiders. There are so many great players here that I had to cut Biggio. I really would have liked to vote for Trammell, especially since I have him placed above a few players I did vote for, but in all likelihood, he'll end up a VC pick. Maybe he and Whitaker could go in together.
      *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Bagwell
        Biggio
        Raines
        Piazza
        Glavine
        Kent
        Maddux
        Thomas
        Schilling
        Mussina
        “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

My selections (in alphabetical order)

Craig Biggio
          Barry Bonds
          Roger Clemens
          Tom Glavine
          Greg Maddox
          Mark McGwire
          Jack Morris
          Rafael Palmeiro
          Sammy Sosa
          Frank Thomas

Comment

There are 18 players who I would vote for if given the opportunity:

Bagwell, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Kent, Maddux, McGriff, McGwire, Mussina, Palmeiro, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Smith, Sosa, Thomas, Walker.

My first cuts are Smith and Walker. I like Smith a lot, but he's one of the weaker candidates I support. I like Walker a lot too, but he is largely a product of Coors Field. It pains me to cut a guy who, from 1997 to 2002, hit .353 with 182 home runs and 590 RBI, but I have to bring myself down to 10 players.

Next off the list is Sosa. He was a great player, but he is also one of the less stellar members of the 500 home run club. He struck out too much and was a liability defensively. I hope others don't follow my lead, it would be a shame if he fell below 5%.

Fred McGriff is next. Jeff Bagwell was at times a superstar during the '90s. McGriff was a steady performer, but he was never much of a superstar despite the numbers he put up.

I hate to drop Schilling, but he, too, must go. He was a steady, if inconsistent, pitcher through 2000, but he only became a veritable Hall of Famer after the turn of the century. His real reign of true, undeniable dominance was only four years or so.

Jeff Kent must depart, because like Schilling, he was steady but not great for a large chunk of his career.

Mussina departs too, but I must do it begrudgingly.

My final cut comes down to Tim Raines and McGwire. I chose to knock McGwire off my list, if only because he was a one-dimensional player as well. Raines could hit for average, he had some power, he was speedy...McGwire hit a lot of home runs.

I feel I should explain why I kept some players, too. Palmeiro doesn't go not only because has over 500 home runs and 3,000 hits, but I feel I must do my part to keep him over 5%. Bonds and Clemens don't get knocked for steroid use, since steroids were just a condition of the game, much like cocaine was in the '80s and greenies were in the '70s.

I really hate cutting Kent and Mussina, because they too don't deserve to fall off the ballot.

My ballot:

Bagwell
            Biggio
            Bonds
            Clemens
            Glavine
            Maddux
            Palmeiro
            Piazza
            Raines
            Thomas

Comment

Alphabetically:

Bagwell
              Biggio
              Glavine
              Maddux
              Mussina
              Piazza
              Raines
              Schilling
              Thomas
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                There are 18 players who I would vote for if given the opportunity:

Bagwell, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Kent, Maddux, McGriff, McGwire, Mussina, Palmeiro, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Smith, Sosa, Thomas, Walker.

My first cuts are Smith and Walker. I like Smith a lot, but he's one of the weaker candidates I support. I like Walker a lot too, but he is largely a product of Coors Field. It pains me to cut a guy who, from 1997 to 2002, hit .353 with 182 home runs and 590 RBI, but I have to bring myself down to 10 players.

Next off the list is Sosa. He was a great player, but he is also one of the less stellar members of the 500 home run club. He struck out too much and was a liability defensively. I hope others don't follow my lead, it would be a shame if he fell below 5%.

Fred McGriff is next. Jeff Bagwell was at times a superstar during the '90s. McGriff was a steady performer, but he was never much of a superstar despite the numbers he put up.

I hate to drop Schilling, but he, too, must go. He was a steady, if inconsistent, pitcher through 2000, but he only became a veritable Hall of Famer after the turn of the century. His real reign of true, undeniable dominance was only four years or so.

Jeff Kent must depart, because like Schilling, he was steady but not great for a large chunk of his career.

Mussina departs too, but I must do it begrudgingly.

My final cut comes down to Tim Raines and McGwire. I chose to knock McGwire off my list, if only because he was a one-dimensional player as well. Raines could hit for average, he had some power, he was speedy...McGwire hit a lot of home runs.

I feel I should explain why I kept some players, too. Palmeiro doesn't go not only because has over 500 home runs and 3,000 hits, but I feel I must do my part to keep him over 5%. Bonds and Clemens don't get knocked for steroid use, since steroids were just a condition of the game, much like cocaine was in the '80s and greenies were in the '70s.

I really hate cutting Kent and Mussina, because they too don't deserve to fall off the ballot.

My ballot:

Bagwell
                Biggio
                Bonds
                Clemens
                Glavine
                Maddux
                Palmeiro
                Piazza
                Raines
                Thomas
                No consideration for Martinez or Trammell? Not saying you had to vote for them, but you don't think either is Hall-worthy?

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                Alphabetically:

Bagwell
                Biggio
                Glavine
                Maddux
                Mussina
                Piazza
                Raines
                Schilling
                Thomas
                Only 9?

Comment

I'm not too keen on DHs and Trammell, I could take him or leave him. I wouldn't complain if he got in the Hall, but he's not one of the first guys I'd vote for.

Comment

Bagwell
                    Biggio
                    Glavine
                    Maddux
                    McGriff
                    Piazza
                    Raines
                    Thomas
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                      I'm not too keen on DHs and Trammell, I could take him or leave him. I wouldn't complain if he got in the Hall, but he's not one of the first guys I'd vote for.
                      People tend to forget that Frank Thomas was primarily a DH.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                        Bagwell
                        Biggio
                        Glavine
                        Maddux
                        McGriff
                        Piazza
                        Raines
                        Thomas
                        Only 8? I thought everyone's ballots would be full.

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                          Included in the poll is everyone listed here.
                          That list omits anyone with less than 10 HOF Monitor points. Some other possible inclusions for 2014:
                          Code:
                                    Player WAR/pos   PA
                                Trot Nixon    19.0 4224
                             Damion Easley    17.8 6211
                                 Jose Cruz    17.1 5448
                                     Player  WAR     IP
                             Steve Trachsel 22.1 2501.0
                               Kent Mercker 11.3 1325.1
                          Last edited by Freakshow; 01-12-2013, 06:28 AM.
                          Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

Bagwell
                            Bonds
                            Clemens
                            Maddox
                            Schilling
                            Sosa
                            Thomas
                            Mussina
                            Glavine
                            Pizza

Kent just misses.
                            "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Bagwell
                              Biggio
                              Bonds
                              Clemens
                              Glavine
                              Kent
                              Maddux
                              Piazza
                              Raines
                              Thomas
                              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X