Which Team would these players be inducted as?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baltimorechop
    • Dec 2011

Which Team would these players be inducted as?

I tried to find an over-arching thread that discussed team/hat arguments for hall of fame inductees and/or potential hall of famers, but I couldn't find it. I recently put together my personal hall of fame, then I wanted to see how many players I had from each team and realized how hard some of them are to decide.

First, non-hall of famers:

Tommy John - CHW, LAD or NYY (i vote CHW)
    Keith Hernandez - STL or NYM (he won MVP* and played longer with Cards, but I see him as a Met
    Mike Piazza - LAD or NYM (better for LAD, but after I called Keith a Met I have to say NYM)
    Curt Schilling - PHI, BOS or ARI (I say ARI, but this is exactly like Gaylord Perry with SFG vs CLE)
    Randy Johnson - SEA or ARI (ARI, way too good there, so many Cy Youngs there)
    Joe Torre (player consideration only, please) - Braves or STL (i say Braves, despite MVP*)

*Who considers Cepeda a Card or Richie Allen a white sox?

Hall of Famers:

Deacon White: Braves or Buffalo (played most with Buffalo, then again, I also consider him a 3B. I can see calling Banks a SS or Carew a 2B, but White played twice as many games at 3B than C)
    Reggie Jackson - NYY or OAK ( i feel this should obviously be Oakland)
    Frank Robinson - BAL or Cin (triple crown and world series with BAL, but so much longer and better with CIN)
    Billy Hamilton - Brave or Phillies ( I see him listed as a Brave a lot, but longer and better with Phillies)

I have a ton more, but If i do like 40 no one will reply. Even if you only want to mention just one, I'd love to hear any opinions on any of those above. Sorry if there is another thread, I couldn't find it (and i've sat around on work days just going through page after page looking at 5 year old threads and never seen one like this).
  • bluesky5
    • May 2011

I see Schilling as a Phillie but I may be a bit biased. :silent:

I agree with the other potential players you listed except Torre. I think of him as a Cardinal.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• baltimorechop
      • Dec 2011

Every player is of course case by case, but would you say you generally go toward where the player peaked (such as Torre being the MVP with the Cards) over where they spent more time? I can't seem to find a general rule to my own opinions.

I do remember when Schilling first got big with the Phillies, and I know he spent the longest there. I assume many people would also choose the Red Sox due to the two world series wins and the bloody sock (huge fame point). I can't get over the amazing years in Arizona.

What about opinions on Piazza? He hit better, played longer and had more significant years with the Dodgers (and was really well known), but made the world series with the Mets.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
        A Gametime Decision
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by baltimorechop View Post
        ...Who considers Richie Allen a white sox?...
        White Sox fans? Allen had his best season and won his MVP award on the South Side.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Blue387
          Ya gotta believe
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by baltimorechop View Post
          What about opinions on Piazza? He hit better, played longer and had more significant years with the Dodgers (and was really well known), but made the world series with the Mets.
          The Mets might retire his number later this year. It was supposed to come with his induction to the HOF, but...
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• baltimorechop
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            White Sox fans? Allen had his best season and won his MVP award on the South Side.
            Do you actually view Allen as a member of the Chicago White Sox? Would you consider Rollie Fingers a Brewer since he won his MVP and Cy Young with them? I'm totally willing to give a player to a team they peaked huge with in a small period of time (I see Schilling as a Diamondback, as stated before). But Allen had 4 of his 5 best seasons in Phillie, and was there much longer.
            Schilling, by contrast, had his best 2 seasons in Arizona, and his next 3 best have 2 in PHI, and 1 in BOS. His sixth best is Arizona again. I guess I see a split here, so I move toward the dominance and the world series win (I'm sure some would want to call him a Red Sox for the 2 wins there).

Comment

• Yankillaz
              I smell Sex and Candy
              • Feb 2006

Schilling will go down as a Red Sox. His greatest exploits came with the Red Sox. And that's the fan base that embraced him.
              "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
              George Brett

Comment

• Yankillaz
                I smell Sex and Candy
                • Feb 2006

Let me ad some more. These are "borderline" cases, at least here at BBF:
                • Bobby Grich: Orioles or Angels?
                  Scott Rolen: Phillies or Cardinals?
                  Manny Ramirez: Indians or Red Sox?
                  Carlos Beltran: Royals or Mets?
                  Adrian Beltre: Dodgers or Rangers? (assuming he plays his contract)
                  Joe Jackson: Indians or White Sox?
                "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                George Brett

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                  2005 World Series Champs
                  • Jun 2010

I would think Tommy John would go in a Dodger but he probably had his best years as a Whitesox.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X