Mike Donlin - Potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Mike Donlin was a nut. Parents died young. He traveled the west in his teens when it was still the wild west. While playing he ended up in jail. Drunk. Had a gun pulled on him. Got a knife scar on his face.

It was a different time though. You had to be tough.
    Say what you will about league quality, the quality of thuggery has gone way down. Now we have counterfeit web sites to alibi steroid use and biting the heads off kittens. And the occasional murder, true.
    Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
      I have never come across a person who intentionally compared bWAR to fWAR
      Aha! so far as you know.
      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
        Say what you will about league quality, the quality of thuggery has gone way down. Now we have counterfeit web sites to alibi steroid use and biting the heads off kittens. And the occasional murder, true.
        Haha yea. Donlin today would probably be giving back to foster homes and helping youth who lost parents. He'd have gone through these trials and tribulations and be an inspiration.

Not in the late 1800's. Panhandle and get yourself a pistol and knife kid. It just got real.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I appreciate Donlin being brought up actually. While I knew his name in passing, it wasn't until this thead that I actually looked at what he did. I don't know whether he was on a path or not, but it certainly opened my eyes to a new player I didn't know much about - thanks guys.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
            I appreciate Donlin being brought up actually. While I knew his name in passing, it wasn't until this thead that I actually looked at what he did. I don't know whether he was on a path or not, but it certainly opened my eyes to a new player I didn't know much about - thanks guys.
            Funny thing is I recognized his "profile picture" on BB-Ref. but knew nothing about him, isn't that nuts. I'm on there so much I recognize faces that pop up on the side. I need a life.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
              Mike Donlin was a nut. Parents died young. He traveled the west in his teens when it was still the wild west. While playing he ended up in jail. Drunk. Had a gun pulled on him. Got a knife scar on his face.

It was a different time though. You had to be tough.
              Never heard about this stuff.
              “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
                Never heard about this stuff.
                Its in the SABR biography.

Comment

Somewhere around here is a recently posted still from Buster Keaton's The General with Donlin in it. If I knew how to link to a post or steal a jpeg, I'd fetch it. It's great.

Comment

Come up with your own... oapWAR - I'm on board!
                    No, when it comes to WAR, I'm a conscientious objector.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ah yes Turkey Mike, got him in Buster Keaton's The General, plays a bearded Yankee officer on a horse. He could really hit, really drink, and really leave everyone wondering What if?

As for the great War debate- Noted_Sage Jim Caple said an awful lot about it on Espn.com that I agree with. Aches and Pains yer not alone here in this.

Comment

Originally posted by TomBodet View Post
                        Ah yes Turkey Mike, got him in Buster Keaton's The General, plays a bearded Yankee officer on a horse. He could really hit, really drink, and really leave everyone wondering What if?

As for the great War debate- Noted_Sage Jim Caple said an awful lot about it on Espn.com that I agree with. Aches and Pains yer not alone here in this.
                        http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...m-Caple-on-WAR

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
                          Somewhere around here is a recently posted still from Buster Keaton's The General with Donlin in it. If I knew how to link to a post or steal a jpeg, I'd fetch it. It's great.
                          Yes,I posted that picture a few months ago.Here is one taken several frames before the one I posted.Buster`s father,Joseph Keaton is the first officer to viewer`s left and Mike Donlin is next to him with the long sideburns and looking a bit like Boris Karloff.You can see Mike Donlin in the Babe Ruth short "Slide,Babe,Slide"on YouTube.[ATTACH]119681
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Nimrod; 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I certainly think Donlin had potential; his .753 OWP is 23rd in history.
                            "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                              Yes,I posted that picture a few months ago.Here is one taken several frames before the one I posted.Buster`s father,Joseph Keaton is the first officer to viewer`s left and Mike Donlin is next to him with the long sideburns and looking a bit like Boris Karloff.You can see Mike Donlin in the Babe Ruth short "Slide,Babe,Slide"on YouTube.
                              I could look at that picture and meditate on the meaning of American history for hours.

Comment

He sure does. He stacks up well with the likes of Charlie Keller and Gavy Cravath.
                                "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                                George Brett

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X