Clayton Kershaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clayton Kershaw

Has the lowest ERA since 1920 amoung pitchers with at least 100 starts and 1000 IP, ahead of Whitey Ford and Sandy Koufax.
    Yes
    89.86%
    No
    10.14%
    Great pitching always beat great hitting. Clutch hitting always beat great pitching.

he is obviously on HOF pace but so were many pitchers. he needs to keep this level (or 90% of it) for at least 5 more years to close in on HOF level. first of all he needs to stay healthy then he has a good chance. but this is a big if for pitchers. I feel it is harder to make the hall for pitchers than for position players because it is much harder to have consistent results and stay healthy compared to a position player (of course also depending on the position- it is quite easy to stay healthy as a 1B man or DH but quite hard as a catcher or 2B man).
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
      he is obviously on HOF pace but so were many pitchers. he needs to keep this level (or 90% of it) for at least 5 more years to close in on HOF level. first of all he needs to stay healthy then he has a good chance. but this is a big if for pitchers. I feel it is harder to make the hall for pitchers than for position players because it is much harder to have consistent results and stay healthy compared to a position player (of course also depending on the position- it is quite easy to stay healthy as a 1B man or DH but quite hard as a catcher or 2B man).
      Agreed. That being said, there is more than one HOF pitcher who had ups and downs on the way to his HOF career. Kershaw already has a 20 win season, a Cy Young Award, and two (2) NL ERA titles. He's working on a 3rd ERA title and a 2nd Cy Young. That's a lot of chrome and leather for his age. Of course, Tim Lincecum has a lot of chrome and leather as well, and he's limping toward 100 career wins, so . . . (Lincecum, I believe, has serious problems with his mechanics, but that's another issue.)
      "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

He sure looks to be on the way!
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Kershaw's got his head screwed on a lot tighter than Timmy.
          I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
          - Walt Whitman

Comment

Kershaw's beyond good. I'm just hoping for no labrum issues as I like to see players succeed at the highest level.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I'll go a step beyond saying he's a HoFer. If he can stay healthy and pitch at least till his late 30s, he's top 25 all-time. Maybe even top ten.
              Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2020

Comment

Lincecum did have a similar resume and flamed out, but I think it'll be different for Kershaw. We haven't seen a major velocity drop (yet), and despite having a somewhat unorthodox delivery, I believe he will be able to remain healthy.
                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Barring injury, or something weird like whatever happened to Lincecum, I'd say he's a lock.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I voted no. Too many of pitchers of his build/mechanics flame out before getting close.

If he can manage to adjust as his stuff fades and plays a long career, he has a chance to be one of the best. Let's see where he is 10 years from now.

Comment

Kershaw so far has an 1.72 ERA this season, the lowest single-season ERA in Dodger history.
                      Great pitching always beat great hitting. Clutch hitting always beat great pitching.

Comment

Kersahaw is the most dominant Dodger pitcher since Sandy Koufax.
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

He's having quite the historic season. One could argue that his 2013 season beats out any season Koufax ever had.
                          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                            He's having quite the historic season. One could argue that his 2013 season beats out any season Koufax ever had.
                            One could argue, but one would be incorrect.
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                              One could argue, but one would be incorrect.
                              He's got a era+ over 200, I would say he's got a very good argument.
                              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X