No announcement yet.

Jason Heyward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The move to center field and his signing with the Chicago Cubs should help boost his stature in the future. Center fielders aren't expected to put up as much offense as corner outfielders and the Cubs look to be strong World Series contenders for the next several seasons at least. If Heyward's narrative becomes that of a center fielder who is a big star on the team that finally breaks the Cubs championship-less streak, that's a feather in his cap when it comes time to reviewing his candidacy. It's entirely possible that Heyward's prime years will be akin to Richie Ashburn's. If he finally begins to hit like scouts used to think....
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I'm wondering how big Heyward is. He is listed as 6'5" and 245, about the same size as Ryan Howard and Frank Thomas. In videos he appears long and lanky like Dave Winfield though, more wide receiver size than linebacker size. I don't know many guys 6'5" and 245 (likely to keep getting bigger) who have played center field.

Comment

Reading through this thread, I see everything from:
        Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
        Incidentally, Peter Gammons called Heyward the most underrated player in the NL today on MLB Network.
        To:
        Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
        Heyward, IMO, is the most overrated player in terms of WAR.
        As usual, the truth is somewhere in between.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
          I'm wondering how big Heyward is. He is listed as 6'5" and 245, about the same size as Ryan Howard and Frank Thomas. In videos he appears long and lanky like Dave Winfield though, more wide receiver size than linebacker size. I don't know many guys 6'5" and 245 (likely to keep getting bigger) who have played center field.
          Wow, that is real big. Way bigger than Jim Edmonds was listed at, and Jimmy was a big man in center field.
          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

I think that the weights of frank thomas and ryan Howard are not correct.

at later stages both were probably easily 270. maybe that was their weight when they were rookies.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
              I think that the weights of frank thomas and ryan Howard are not correct.

at later stages both were probably easily 270. maybe that was their weight when they were rookies.
              Is that correct with Heyward? I don't spend any time around guys who are 6'5" so I can't get a picture in my mind what they would look like at 245.
              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                Is that correct with Heyward? I don't spend any time around guys who are 6'5" so I can't get a picture in my mind what they would look like at 245.
                He's a very solid, mobile 240. I mean shoot, Trout isn't too far behind him.
                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
                  The move to center field and his signing with the Chicago Cubs should help boost his stature in the future. Center fielders aren't expected to put up as much offense as corner outfielders and the Cubs look to be strong World Series contenders for the next several seasons at least. If Heyward's narrative becomes that of a center fielder who is a big star on the team that finally breaks the Cubs championship-less streak, that's a feather in his cap when it comes time to reviewing his candidacy. It's entirely possible that Heyward's prime years will be akin to Richie Ashburn's. If he finally begins to hit like scouts used to think....
                  Agree about the value of Heyward improving and becoming a big star with the Cubs, but he'll need to play well in that postseason in any hypothetical Cubs long overdue world title. Prior to last season's playoff, Heyward really struggled in the postseason. If the Cubs fail to end the 1908 streak with all this hype and infusion of talent, it will be a massive letdown. High expectations in sports are difficult to fulfill, many loaded teams expected to win it all crashed and burned.

Comment

The 2016 Cubs were a team of many stars working together to form a World Series-quality unit. Unfortunately, one of the stars who sat out from the project was Jason Heyward, who hit just .230 with seven home runs and 49 RBI in 142 games. Has Heyward's limit been reached, or are we to expect a killer bounce back age 27 season in 2017?

Comment

• The way that a number of Cubs spoke about it, "J-Hey's" meeting during Game 7's rain delay could become the stuff of legend. Narrative matters. (To a point, anyway.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                        The 2016 Cubs were a team of many stars working together to form a World Series-quality unit. Unfortunately, one of the stars who sat out from the project was Jason Heyward, who hit just .230 with seven home runs and 49 RBI in 142 games. Has Heyward's limit been reached, or are we to expect a killer bounce back age 27 season in 2017?
                        I've heard that the Cubs tried to fix his swing, but fixed it the wrong way.
                        Great pitching always beat great hitting. Clutch hitting always beat great pitching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                          I've heard that the Cubs tried to fix his swing, but fixed it the wrong way.
                          Great pitching always beat great hitting. Clutch hitting always beat great pitching.

Comment

• Have to wait and see- he's only 27- but he doesn't look or feel like a future HOFer to me. He does a number of things well. He's an excellent corner outfielder, and may be good enough to play some CF. He still runs well, and is good on the bases. But, he's extremely erratic at the plate. He's had a couple of pretty good offensive seasons and some so-so ones, plus this year's collapse. When I watch him it looks like he's overmatched against high hard pitching. Maybe he'll improve but he's not overly impressive at the plate, especially for a corner OFer. I know he's got a good start on WAR- early ML start, plus lots of games, plus good defense helps. But he's going to have to pick up his offensive game.

Comment

• Watchings Cubs-Dbacks right now...

Heyward has been a big disappointment to me. He plays good D but a dude that big ought to hit with more authority. He did it before long ago...what happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                                Watchings Cubs-Dbacks right now...

Heyward has been a big disappointment to me. He plays good D but a dude that big ought to hit with more authority. He did it before long ago...what happened?
                                I mean he never really hit with authority, per se. He's hit more than 20 home runs twice, topping out at 27. His best season was at age 20 when he posted a 131 OPS+. If his 2010 season was his norm and he never improved, he would be a Hall of Famer. I remember thinking he was going to be what Ronald Acuna is turning out to be.
                                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X