Max Scherzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Scherzer

Max Scherzer is in his 7th big league season. To date, he is 90-50 with 1,312 strikeouts, a 3.59 ERA, a 117 ERA+ and only 385 walks allowed in 1,233.1 innings. He was an All-Star in both 2013 and 2014 and last year he won the AL Cy Young Award, the AL Sporting News Pitcher of the Year and finished 12th in MVP voting.

Since 2010, Scherzer has averaged 16 wins, 213 strikeouts, 60 walks, only 179 hits allowed and 200 innings pitched per season. He's led the league in wins once, WHIP once, winning percentage once, K/9 IP once and pitcher fielding percentage once. He currently leads all active pitchers in career K/9 IP ratio, and is 4th all-time, behind only Randy Johnson, Kerry Wood and Pedro Martinez. He also ranks 5th among active hurlers in winning percentage (behind C. Kershaw, J. Weaver, A. Wainwright and J. Santana) and 7th in FIP (between Z. Greinke and Santana/J. Verlander).

It should be noted that Scherzer's mediocre 2011 campaign really hurts his overall statistics. Though he went 15-9 with 174 strikeouts, his ERA was a career-worst 4.43, his ERA+ was a meager 93 and it's the only year, to date, that he has allowed more hits than innings pitched. Take away that season and his career ERA drops 0.14 point to 3.45 and his ERA+ jumps six points to 123.

The hurler has also excelled in the postseason. Overall, he is 4-2 with a 3.42 ERA in 11 games (9 starts) and in 55.1 innings, he has surrendered only 39 hits and struck out 74 batters. In the 2011 ALDS, he posted a 1.23 ERA in two games, winning one. He had a 0.00 ERA in his lone start of the 2012 ALDS and in that year's Championship Series, he was 1-0 with a 1.59 ERA. Between the 2012 ALDS and ALCS, he had 18 strikeouts in 11 innings. Continuing his dominance in the 2013 playoffs, Scherzer was 2-0 with 13 strikeouts in nine innings in the ALDS and in the Championship Series, he had 21 Ks in 13.1 innings, while posting a 2.70 ERA.

He doesn't get to bat much in the American League, but when he was with the Diamondbacks, he showed some aptitude with the stick. In 2009, he hit .226 in 53 at-bats, hitting two doubles and scoring four runs. He contributed 0.3 oWAR that season.

Statistically, Scherzer is similar to Yovani Gallardo, Gio Gonzalez, Rich Harden, Johnny Cueto, Steve Busby, Josh Johnson, Britt Burns, Anibal Sanchez, Dave Boswell and Shaun Marcum. Through age 28 - how old he was last year - Scherzer was most similar to Roy Halladay, Rick Sutcliffe, Matt Morris, Kevin Brown, David Cone, Hall of Famer Jim Bunning, Harden, Kerry Wood and Pat Malone. He currently ranks #318 on the Fan EloRater, between Jim Scott and Mike Hampton.

What are your thoughts on Max Scherzer? Should he make the Hall of Fame when he becomes eligible? Does he have Hall of Fame potential? Did he ever have Hall of Fame potential?
    Yes
    23.40%
    No
    17.02%
    Maybe
    17.02%
    Not a Hall of Famer, but he HAD Hall of Fame potential at one point
    4.26%
    Not a Hall of Famer, but he HAS Hall of Fame potential
    42.55%

Scherzer has HOF potential. He's had the big season, the CYA, and he's followed it up with his 2nd ASG appearance. He may well pitch in the World Series this year He won't win 20 this year, but he may win 18-19, and that will be a big deal.

To be a HOFer, Scherzer will have to win 200 games. In addition, he will probably have to have 1 more 20-win season. Two more 20 win seasons and another CYA will clinch it. 200 games won will put him in the discussion, but he needs more chrome and leather to be a strong candidate. If he just makes it to 200 wins, he'll be another Bob Welch, which is praise, but not HOF praise.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

I give him potential.
      "The first draft of anything is crap." - Ernest Hemingway

There's no such thing as an ultimate stat.

Comment

He just turned thirty years of age and he is only 89-50 as I write this.

He will likely have a nice normal career path and be terrific when his age is right (27-32) and just ok the rest of the time.

Just using guys form my baseball card era, Steve Rogers was like that. Ron Guidry was another pitcher with type of career arc, but less gradual on the front end.
        Your Second Base Coach
        Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
          He just turned thirty years of age and he is only 89-50 as I write this.

He will likely have a nice normal career path and be terrific when his age is right (27-32) and just ok the rest of the time.

Just using guys form my baseball card era, Steve Rogers was like that. Ron Guidry was another pitcher with type of career arc, but less gradual on the front end.
          There's still a chance that he'll take the Randy Johnson route. At least both of them broke out at age 27, and won the CYA a season or two later.
          Last edited by Yilan Dai; 09-20-2014, 06:26 PM.
          Great pitching always beat great hitting. Clutch hitting always beat great pitching.

Comment

Favorite Toy says he's on pace for 209 wins or so. But of course, when you do Favorite Toy during the peak of someone's career, the projections often shoot a little high.

Comment

The good news for Scherzer is that his most comparable age 28 players is Roy Halladay. The bad news? Halladay from age 29-34 was 109-49 with a 149 ERA+ and six consecutive top 5 CYA finishes. Also, they really aren't all that close at age 28...Halladay had 26.4 WAR and a 127 ERA+ by that age, while Scherzer has 18.4 WAR and a 115 ERA+.

Simply put, he needs about ten more years in a row at his 2014 level to be a borderline case.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                The good news for Scherzer is that his most comparable age 28 players is Roy Halladay. The bad news? Halladay from age 29-34 was 109-49 with a 149 ERA+ and six consecutive top 5 CYA finishes. Also, they really aren't all that close at age 28...Halladay had 26.4 WAR and a 127 ERA+ by that age, while Scherzer has 18.4 WAR and a 115 ERA+.

Simply put, he needs about ten more years in a row at his 2014 level to be a borderline case.
                That's asking for someone to play at a peak level of performance for more that ten years. I guess HOFers do that very thing. Perhaps from ages 25-35, but you get my meaning.
                Your Second Base Coach
                Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
                  That's asking for someone to play at a peak level of performance for more that ten years. I guess HOFers do that very thing. Perhaps from ages 25-35, but you get my meaning.
                  Yeah I guess my point was that he has done very little so far from a HOF standpoint..and time is not on his side.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                    Yeah I guess my point was that he has done very little so far from a HOF standpoint..and time is not on his side.
                    He's done more than Curt Schilling at a comparable age, in terms of HOF chrome and leather.

If Schilling had won a Cy Young Award in one of his greatest seasons, he'd be in the HOF now.
                    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

Comment

Potential.

Comment

He would have to start having really great peak to get there he has only had two great seasons so far. I do think he did not deserve the CY Young. He won because voters got enamored with wins and not at who was the best pitcher. That year he was 5th in ERA, 5th in Innings pitched, 3rd in War for Pitchers. Yu Darvish should of won that year he has a better ERA, gave up less hits, less runs and had more strikeouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravesfan1984 View Post
                          He would have to start having really great peak to get there he has only had two great seasons so far. I do think he did not deserve the CY Young. He won because voters got enamored with wins and not at who was the best pitcher. That year he was 5th in ERA, 5th in Innings pitched, 3rd in War for Pitchers. Yu Darvish should of won that year he has a better ERA, gave up less hits, less runs and had more strikeouts.
                          Say what you want, but Scherzer led AL in fWAR, and is 3rd in FIP. Darvish is 8th with 3.28 while Iwakuma isn't even in the top-10. Even if he only had 15 wins I would still pick him over both Darvish and Iwakuma.

2013 AL pitching WAR leaders using the average of bWAR and fWAR:

Scherzer 6.6
                          Sale 6.0
                          F. Hernandez 5.7
                          Iwakuma 5.5
                          Darvish 5.4
                          Last edited by Yilan Dai; 09-27-2014, 02:14 PM.
                          Great pitching always beat great hitting. Clutch hitting always beat great pitching.

Comment

While it is going to be a 3 way tie, Scherzer did lead the AL in wins this year. It's a unit of black ink, and part of what makes up a HOF resume. He helped himself this year toward the HOF, and he may help himself more in the postseason.

The problem with Scherzer at this point is that no one really views him as a great pitcher, but this could change over time if he keeps up his current level of performance. The road is tough for Scherzer as he has started late toward immortality, but he's at least moving in the right direction and picking up chrome and leather. I realize that Tony Cloninger and Jim Bouton once looked as Max Scherzer does now to some degree, but so did Curt Schilling, and Schilling is far from done as a HOF candidate.

Comment

Scherzer found himself on a real winner with the Nats -- his signing with the club might just be what he needs to get on that Hall of Fame track. Imagine if he pulls off seven years of 15+ victories ... it will be hard to deny him then.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X