Max Scherzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cougar View Post
    Striking out over 100 batters in six weeks - so what, 8 or 9 starts, maybe 10 - is a pretty tall order.

Max will probably get to 3K, and might pass Verlander; that'll have to be good enough for 2021.
    He's certainly had stretches like that in recent memory. For some reason I thought he had this year too, but nothing close. Fair enough. We're probably looking at 50-60 K realistically through the end of the season.

38K to reach 3,000
    52K to pass JV for 18th all-time

The rest (including his march to 200 wins) will have to wait until next summer.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• This video makes it sound like Scherzer is a 21st century Rube Waddell. I had no idea about any of this behavior on the part of Scherzer.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        This video makes it sound like Scherzer is a 21st century Rube Waddell. I had no idea about any of this behavior on the part of Scherzer.

Haha I never thought of him like that but yea he’s been doing it for a while.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Haha I never thought of him like that but yea he’s been doing it for a while.
          The good news at least is that I have not heard anything about Scherzer actually being violent towards family and friends like Waddell was.
          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-10-2022, 02:24 PM.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Scherzer's last outing ended his streak of 24 consecutive starts without a loss (going back to last year of course).
            Put it in the books.

Comment

• Max since being traded last season:

11-1, 2.31, 138 K, only 17 walks.

During the entire streak without a loss:

15-0, 2.55, 183 K, only 31 walks.

He leads all pitchers with 200 IP+ in WHIP the past 2 seasons. He's second in WAA, WAR, and various other metrics.

Not bad for a 36-37 year old.

Comment

• I'm not sure there is necessarily a decline in sight for Scherzer and Verlander. They've basically continued to average 94 MPH on their fastball for the past few years. They could have a few more seasons of top notch production.
                Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X