Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weak HOFers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Weak HOFers

    What are some Hall of Famers who shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame? Here is my list, in no particular order

    Freddie Lindstrom
    George Kell
    Kirby Puckett
    Rick Ferrell
    George Kelly
    Catfish Hunter
    Gary Carter
    George Kelly

    Comment


    • #17
      Maz and Rizzuto
      "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

      Comment


      • #18
        Mr October, your list could be much longer, but you've still managed to to put a couple names I can't agree with on it. Gary Carter is one of the top 10 catchers in MLB history. That is a surefire Hall of Famer. Puckett is arguably the same in CF and was The Man for two championship teams. Don't you think its a little harsh to kick George Kelly out twice?

        Comment


        • #19
          I'd rather have boyer and Hack in before taking Kell out.
          AL East Champions: 1981 1982
          AL Pennant: 1982
          NL Central Champions: 2011
          NL Wild Card: 2008

          "It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

          Comment


          • #20
            Dave Bancroft
            "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

            Comment


            • #21
              Travis Jackson
              Tommy McCarthy
              Roger Bresnahan
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

              Comment


              • #22
                Chick Hafey, Lloyd Waner and Ross Youngs

                Comment


                • #23
                  Going position by position:

                  C: Rick Ferrell, Gary Carter
                  1B: George Kelly, Tony Perez
                  2B: Johnny Evers, Billy Herman
                  SS: Bobby Wallace, Phil Rizzuto
                  3B: Freddie Lindstrom, George Kell
                  OF: Tommy McCarthy, Jimmy Collins, Max Carey, Harry Hooper, Lou Brock, Lloyd Waner

                  I think it's hard to make a case for any of those guys. Yes, Mark, that includes Gary Carter (although it pains me to say it for some of those guys, because I hate to see a guy with a .300 BA kicked out of the Hall).
                  Last edited by ElHalo; 05-24-2005, 07:21 AM.
                  "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

                  Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ElHalo
                    Going position by position:

                    C: Rick Ferrell, Gary Carter
                    1B: George Kelly, Tony Perez
                    2B: Johnny Evers, Billy Herman
                    SS: Bobby Wallace, Phil Rizzuto
                    3B: Freddie Lindstrom, George Kell
                    OF: Tommy McCarthy, Jimmy Collins, Max Carey, Harry Hooper, Lou Brock, Lloyd Waner

                    I think it's hard to make a case for any of those guys. Yes, Mark, that includes Gary Carter (although it pains me to say it for some of those guys, because I hate to see a guy with a .300 BA kicked out of the Hall).
                    Gary Carter??!!!!!!
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Leecemark, you say Gary Carter should be in the Hall of Fame because he is one of the top 10 catchers ever. You can't say someone should be in the Hall just because he is near the top of an extremely weak crop of catchers. Why should we let in Carter just because he is a catcher? Would he be in with his stats if he was a first baseman?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Leecemark:

                        I not looking to make an enemy here, but I need to correct you again. George Kell and George Kelly are not the same person. They both are in the Hall of Fame (although they shouldn't be) and are different players. If you don't believe me, look it up.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                          Gary Carter??!!!!!!
                          Yes, Gary Carter. Defensively he's probably the fourth worst C in the Hall (though he was of course very good), ahead of Ferrell, Dickey, and Lombardi. Offensively he's probably the third worst C in the Hall, ahead of Ferrell and Schalk. A 115 career OPS+ puts him back in the pack for catchers, and outside of 1982, none of his offensive seasons are anything to really speak of. I thought it was a joke when he made it in, and I still believe he's the second worst C in the Hall, ahead of only Ferrell.
                          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

                          Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by 538280
                            Leecemark:

                            I not looking to make an enemy here, but I need to correct you again. George Kell and George Kelly are not the same person. They both are in the Hall of Fame (although they shouldn't be) and are different players. If you don't believe me, look it up.
                            I believe leecemark is aware.

                            You still put George Kelly up there twice
                            "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              --I know all about George Kell. He was the Tiger's TV broadcaster for many years. Even though he was a questionable selection, I'm glad he is there for strictly sentimental reasons.
                              --If you think a catcher needs offensive stats comparable to a firstbaseman to make the Hall, you probably ought to be campaigning to have them all kicked out. Johnny Bench and Yogi Berra's numbers are just pretty good when compared to the elite 1B's and they would be questionable selections if they weren't catchers. Unless you think the Hall should be limited to less than 100 players its hard to see any argument for not including Gary Carter.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by leecemark
                                --If you think a catcher needs offensive stats comparable to a firstbaseman to make the Hall, you probably ought to be campaigning to have them all kicked out. Johnny Bench and Yogi Berra's numbers are just pretty good when compared to the elite 1B's and they would be questionable selections if they weren't catchers. Unless you think the Hall should be limited to less than 100 players its hard to see any argument for not including Gary Carter.
                                I don't compare C's to 1Bmen, I compare C's to other C's. I'm not really in a position to argue the merits of 19th century players, so I'll forget about Kelly and Ewing, but as far as 20th century players go, Carter just doesn't have the offensive prowess of Lombardi, Berra, Dickey, Cochrane, Hartnett, Campanella, Bresnahan, Bench, or Fisk.
                                "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

                                Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X