No announcement yet.

Gil Hodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Professor David Kaiser's book "Baseball Greatness" (a book about his version of Wins Above Average), Kaiser states the following, "Equally as valuable as Snider, it turns out, was first baseman Gil Hodges, whose career was extraordinary in ways that have only recently come to light. Hodges, like Warren Spahn, was from the GI Generation, but the war had interrupted his career in 1944-1945. He came up as a catcher but was switched to first base in 1948, when Robinson moved to second. He was a good hitter with power, and an asset to the team in 1949-1950. But he blossomed further as a hitter in 1951, when he was 27, and remained a superstar for the next five years (1951-1955) because he emerged as one of the great fielding first baseman of all time, saving the team +13, +18, +26, +29, and +14 runs. With five consecutive superstar seasons, there is no doubt that Hodges belongs in the Hall of Fame."

Comment

• Originally posted by Stieb37 View Post
      In Professor David Kaiser's book . . .
      Professor Kaiser is certainly entitled to his opinion as are the critics of his book. I don't now anyone besides Kaiser who takes his work seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
        Professor Kaiser is certainly entitled to his opinion as are the critics of his book. I don't now anyone besides Kaiser who takes his work seriously.
        Well now you do lol

Comment

Apparently quite a few people since his book is almost sold out on Amazon.

Comment

He probably just has a huge personal HOF. If five 'superstar' seasons is all it takes to be a no-brainer, then he must have a HOF with 400 or so players in it. I'm wondering if Garvey makes the cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

He probably just has a huge personal HOF. If five 'superstar' seasons is all it takes to be a no-brainer, then he must have a HOF with 400 or so players in it. I'm wondering if Garvey makes the cut.
              5 seasons at or near the top of the league is more rare than you think. There are not 400 players who fit that mold.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

5 seasons at or near the top of the league is more rare than you think. There are not 400 players who fit that mold.
                Hodges ranks 423rd in BB-REF WAR. This guy's WAR may be more generous to Hodges than that, but there are also a good many players in that general area who would qualify, including George Foster, Charlie Keller, Dolph Camilli, Nomar Garciaparra, Troy Tulowitzski, Dixie Walker, Carlos Delgado etc. I would put Hodges somewhere in the middle of this group.

Hodges had some star seasons but he was never 'at or near the top of the league'. He is 395th in career MVP shares. He had 3 top 10 WAR finishes, never higher than 7th.

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

Hodges ranks 423rd in BB-REF WAR. This guy's WAR may be more generous to Hodges than that, but there are also a good many players in that general area who would qualify, including George Foster, Charlie Keller, Dolph Camilli, Nomar Garciaparra, Troy Tulowitzski, Dixie Walker, Carlos Delgado etc. I would put Hodges somewhere in the middle of this group.

Hodges had some star seasons but he was never 'at or near the top of the league'. He is 395th in career MVP shares. He had 3 top 10 WAR finishes, never higher than 7th.
                  What does career WAR have to do with 5 year peak? NOTHING! Your argument makes zero sense!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X