2 Bob Howsam
    3 Johnny Pesky
    4 Davey Johnson
    5 Bill James
    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Just giving this a bump
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Jim, was Frank Thomas elected in a previous election? I don't see him listed anywhere. I tried tracking him down in previous elections, but I've had no luck finding him. He was born on the same day as Jeff Bagwell if that helps.

For me (if no FT eligible)

1. Jim Thome
        2. Fred McGriff
        3. Indian Bob Johnson
        4. Mickey Welch
        5. Jeff Kent
        6. Sam Rice
        7. Jim Edmonds
        8. Jake Beckley
        9. Joe Sewell
        10. Dave Bancroft
        11. Bill Mazeroski
        12. Urban Shocker

Next in order:

Wally Schang
        George Van Haltren
        Carlos Delgado
        Joe Tinker
        Ernie Lombardi
        Jack Morris
        If the White Sox has not traded Sammy Sosa, they'd have probably won a few more World Series. (Chadwick)
        Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Toledo, interesting observation, I don't see him in previous elections either, he would be #1 for me also.
          Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
          http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
            Toledo, interesting observation, I don't see him in previous elections either, he would be #1 for me also.
            Just to be clear, if FT is eligible, he'll be number 2 on my list.
            If the White Sox has not traded Sammy Sosa, they'd have probably won a few more World Series. (Chadwick)
            Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

It does look like Frank Thomas somehow slipped through the cracks. At this point in this election, I'd prefer just to leave him ineligible for this election and make sure to add him next time, if there is one (don't have the voting spreadsheet handy, so I'll throw out the caveat in the exercise of caution).

I'm not stunned I missed him, but I am that not only I missed him, but nobody called me on it until now.

Following up: Got to look at the spreadsheets--this one has six votes now, so it will survive.
              Last edited by jalbright; 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM.
              A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

He isn't listed as a possible contributor, but is it okay if I nominate Henry Killilea? He and Barney Dreyfuss created the agreement for NL and AL recognition of each other, he and Dreyfuss put together the first modern World Series, and he helped found the AL. He seems pretty significant to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                  It does look like Frank Thomas somehow slipped through the cracks. At this point in this election, I'd prefer just to leave him ineligible for this election and make sure to add him next time
                  Or, as he's a clear and obvious choice, why don't we just pull a "BBWAA" and hold a special election just for the Big Hurt? Who isn't going to vote for the guy?
                  Last edited by jalbright; 01-29-2016, 12:39 PM. Reason: undoing my inadvertent response in Brad's post
                  "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                  "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                  "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                  "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

It does look like Frank Thomas somehow slipped through the cracks. At this point in this election, I'd prefer just to leave him ineligible for this election and make sure to add him next time, if there is one (don't have the voting spreadsheet handy, so I'll throw out the caveat in the exercise of caution).

I'm not stunned I missed him, but I am that not only I missed him, but nobody called me on it until now.

Following up: Got to look at the spreadsheets--this one has six votes now, so it will survive.
                    I think we all assumed he was already elected. He'd shoot to #1 on my ballot if you do want him to be eligible this time.

Comment

Here are my contributors:

1. Henry Kililea
                      2. Barney Dreyfuss
                      3. John Heydler
                      4. Ernest Lanigan
                      5. Grantland Rice
                      6. William Wheaton

I've listed 6 in case Kililea isn't allowed. I've got Wheaton down a bit from most, as he apparently went back to cricket in 1847/1848, so I have a bit of doubt if he was a prime mover or not. Involved for sure, but not sure if he was a chief cog or not.

I just noticed not one of my top 5 even made one other list. I'm so out of it...
                      Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 01-28-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                        He isn't listed as a possible contributor, but is it okay if I nominate Henry Killilea? He and Barney Dreyfuss created the agreement for NL and AL recognition of each other, he and Dreyfuss put together the first modern World Series, and he helped found the AL. He seems pretty significant to me.
                        You can nominate him--for next election. If I'm not going to make room for Frank Thomas at this late date, I'm not going to make it for Killilea.

Comment

You can nominate him--for next election. If I'm not going to make room for Frank Thomas at this late date, I'm not going to make it for Killilea.
                          So that killileas the issue?
                          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
                            So that killileas the issue?
                            Doesn't "killilea" the issue so much as delays it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
                              Or, as he's a clear and obvious choice, why don't we just pull a "BBWAA" and hold a special election just for the Big Hurt? Who isn't going to vote for the guy?
                              But this election is based on ranking people. A special election for Frank doesn't fit. It wouldn't be the BBWAA, either, but the lords of Cooperstown and their haphazard ways. I'm not interested in replicating that. I expect him to make it soon enough--and while it's a glaring error, it points out how careless all of us have gotten. I happen to think we could use the wake up call if we care about these projects. I intend to see it through my way.

Comment

Since we're at the bare minimum of six for players and don't even have that for contributors (we have five, and thus no one could be elected without another voter), I'm extending this election to Monday February first at noon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X